Quantcast

2024 racing thread

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Cool, I'll have a look through my photos.
Spectating, only ever raced there once in 09 or10, it was sketchy as shit as I built my bike up the morning of the race.
When I was there the crowd was more rowdy at Double Downs, man the A line on that is nuts, the lander is a bike and a bit long.
Yep! Nice one. Thanks

Saw some sketchy moments there for sure And wheel breaks.
Im buying myself a podium next year with a new V5 Supreme. But tbh in reality im a tightass and probably will just drop 2 spring rates to the correct rate, and not dance down the track watching either side of my rear tyre looking at me!

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@jrewing
Xm481 front and Fr560 back, and you only got issues with the rear? :eek:

For the record I also have an xm481 on the front of my parkbike pared with a ex471. :D I don't do racing, just laps in the park and I know that the ex471 is enough for me at the rear. The xm481 is an attempt to get a wider rim without weight penalty compared to an ex471. So far it has been ok. I haven't pushed it too far either last season...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fantasy DH is back at PB.

I asked if we can create a private group, but doesn't look like we can at the moment.

Its also much more restricted than before, with who can participate.
The Pinkbike Fantasy Downhill League Contest whereby participants can win prizes (“Contest”) is open only to legal residents of Australia, Canada (except the Province of Québec), Germany, United Kingdom, and 50 United States and DC who are 18 years of age or older and the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence
Probably thanks to their lawyers and there being a prize.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Fantasy DH is back at PB.

I asked if we can create a private group, but doesn't look like we can at the moment.

Its also much more restricted than before, with who can participate.

Probably thanks to their lawyers and there being a prize.
Lazy lawyers. The problem in EU is Belgium and their weird anti Gambling law and they simply didn't check other EU countries

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Sounds like the problem is Belgium, not the lawyers.
Nope. They just seen Belgium having a weird law and instead of like every company exclude Belgium they just excluded all of EU outside of a few country they feel safe us. Like someone didn't want to do extra work.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Some friends went and took some photos of the Polish WC Downhill track. I do hope they fix it but if they won't you now know why I'm a grumpy man living in this country.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Some friends went and took some photos of the Polish WC Downhill track. I do hope they fix it but if they won't you now know why I'm a grumpy man living in this country.

Pictures never do it justice, but is that a bike park track in a bike park?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Pictures never do it justice, but is that a bike park track in a bike park?
While true some locals complain already. We will see but why make it so bikeparky when it's a mountain with a lot of great natural stuff. It is in a bikepark but why built a bikepark track when there are others. Most of the features here will be too big for begginers anyway

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
@jrewing
Xm481 front and Fr560 back, and you only got issues with the rear? :eek:

For the record I also have an xm481 on the front of my parkbike pared with a ex471. :D I don't do racing, just laps in the park and I know that the ex471 is enough for me at the rear. The xm481 is an attempt to get a wider rim without weight penalty compared to an ex471. So far it has been ok. I haven't pushed it too far either last season...
Good pickup. I dropped in last minute to a wheel builder and asked to lace up a Ex471…and this is what i got. Never heard of a xm481 but i read about them. They seem to be strong from reviews. But not what ordered. Survived and is dent free.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yep! Nice one. Thanks

Saw some sketchy moments there for sure And wheel breaks.
Im buying myself a podium next year with a new V5 Supreme. But tbh in reality im a tightass and probably will just drop 2 spring rates to the correct rate, and not dance down the track watching either side of my rear tyre looking at me!
Fair play man - Awaba doesn't fuck about. Looks like the weather was decent though!

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Fair play man - Awaba doesn't fuck about. Looks like the weather was decent though!
Cheers. Its not getting smoother haha. Smoking hot thursday practice. Had rain both other days early but it dried nicely. Track was genuinely scary in the wet. But the Hunter Club did an amazing job running it. One of the best.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The speed Jack carries through that big rock garden is nuts. Can even tell on the gopro view...just straight lining the whole thing pretty much.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Link to the winner in my class. Smoked us and many elites on an Intense enduro! Helped build that track but that takes nothing away. Shows the track rawness at nearly mortal speed.

Last edited:

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Do you really read and give a fuck about those categorizations?
I was speed trapped 62kmh at the finish chute i heard as i crossed line. And near 45kmh down another chute thats rough as. If the wheel survived Awaba im using them anywhere.
Wouldnt use it rear though.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Do you really read and give a fuck about those categorizations?
yes and no :busted:
within a brand it gives indications of what product is stronger or weaker
between brands it doesn't say much
and the threshold values between the categories are very interesting, to say the least! :pleasantry:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
same with specialized, officially the enduro/kenevo sl frames are only cat4 bikes.
Canyon did this year's ago with theirs. Probably makes warranty refusal easier for them to BS their way out of.

Ignore that shit. Rims are common sense.
Look at material. Cross section. Weight. Pinned or welded and eyeletted or not.
Oh and if your a low pressure Larry you're eventually gonna fold the edges and flatspot anything. so treat em as disposable items.

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Great Find HardTail,and nice angle for the shot. I can see you right there.

I remember on mtbr decades ago,there was a great guy named photojohn who took pictures. This shot brought back that memory. I bought his shots and met him. Wonder where he is?

jrewing,lookin good Brother,those googles tint is sick! How did they do?

Avy

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz

I remember on mtbr decades ago,there was a great guy named photojohn who took pictures. This shot brought back that memory. I bought his shots and met him. Wonder where he is?

Avy
Great tint Avy for my old eyes in mixed light forests. The old x brand are my spare MX goggles but i always use them over my Fox or 100%. Just fit well.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Avy
Cheers Avy, yeah there was a local dude called Neil that used to do photos for most of the club rounds when I raced, he was a lovely bloke who could bang out a solid photo.
I haven't really done any MTB stuff that wasn't done with a pocket camera so i have some learning to do.
Probably my favorite from the day-
IMGK8446.jpg

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope

Avy
PhotoJohn is my step brother.

He's still taking pics and doing stuff for the bike industry like new product and catalog shoots for Pivot, Knolly, etc. I don't think he goes to a ton of events or races these days to shoot pics.

Still rides a bunch and spends lots of time skiing in the winter. Works for Alta resort as well in Utah.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Hooray, bike racing. Should be some good coverage from Vital as their photog is down there, and the video recaps the DHSE team puts out are fantastic.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Tennessee National this weekend should be good!
Pro entry list is 46 strong with 10 WC riders and all the fastest domestic guys.

Anyone SE :monkeydance: going to race or watch?
i wish...too much else going on.
buddy will usually calls the races and does the recap. can't wait to watch. also to see what gwin and company open up in the new zone over the next year...

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
PhotoJohn is my step brother.

He's still taking pics and doing stuff for the bike industry like new product and catalog shoots for Pivot, Knolly, etc. I don't think he goes to a ton of events or races these days to shoot pics.

Still rides a bunch and spends lots of time skiing in the winter. Works for Alta resort as well in Utah.
Wow,small world. Never Burn them Bridge‘s Boy’s.

StepBrother is always interesting,I have that now,Son with a Step. They are not close,I am glad to see you are. Or perhaps you are being polite. It’s so nice to hear good news of John. I have skied Alta as a teen,drove from CA. With my Mom and StepDad. Long ride Brother,11hrs? One of my Favorite memories,No Snow like that Utah Snow. So he travels a lot? Glad he is riding,what his steed of choice,I must know.

Avy