Quantcast

20mm WTB hub won't fit Boxxer axle...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
This is strange. I pulled my WTB DH front wheel off of a shiver SC which it fit on fine, and tried to put it on my boxxer. The axle is a no go. It's too tight and won't fit through.

However, the axle slid perfectly through the Hugi Onyx 20mm hub I also have. Any suggestions?

One end cap on the WTB seems to be tighter than the other, but both are WAY tighter than I'd expect; one won't go at all, and the other is SUPER tight. I would assume a defect, but it goes on the Shiver with little or no problem... not smooth but I can push it through by hand.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by ohio
However, the axle slid perfectly through the Hugi Onyx 20mm hub I also have. Any suggestions?
Use the Hugi? :D

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The hugi is laced a mavic 519...

I could put another 36mm rim on there but the whole idea is that I have two wheelsets, on for DH/DS, and one for trails, now that both my hardtail and my DH run on a QR rear and a 20mm front. I don't need two front wheels with massively wide rims...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Certified Drunk
Get a new axle, You might have one that was machined wrong. Not the first time I've seen this.
Really? With a boxxer axle? It seems much higher quality/precision than the shiver axle that works.

Also, it slides pretty perfectly through the DT hub...

I was hoping somone would tell me it's safe to sand the inside of the endcaps of the wtb hub with some fine grit. What'd'ya think?

Maybe I'll give WTb a call and they'll give me some replacement end-caps.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

Really? With a boxxer axle? It seems much higher quality/precision than the shiver axle that works.

Also, it slides pretty perfectly through the DT hub...

I was hoping somone would tell me it's safe to sand the inside of the endcaps of the wtb hub with some fine grit. What'd'ya think?

Maybe I'll give WTb a call and they'll give me some replacement end-caps.
I would sand a bit off the axle not the hub.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
So I remembered I actually have digital calipers and should probably use them. Viola! The boxxer axle measured out at a perfect 19.98mm, while the hub endcaps measured 19.99 right side 19.96 left side. So the hub is the defect. I emailed them that info about a week ago. No reply so far, but I just dug up their number, called and left a message. Maybe that will speed up the process...

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
I would have to say it's the WTB hub. I have the same problems, almost have to hammer the axle in and out of my Monster. I tried it with my Hayes hub and it works smooth and easy . My brother ran a WTB last season with an MX 6 and had the same problems. Dont sand the axle!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Big John
I would have to say it's the WTB hub. I have the same problems, almost have to hammer the axle in and out of my Monster. I tried it with my Hayes hub and it works smooth and easy . My brother ran a WTB last season with an MX 6 and had the same problems. Dont sand the axle!
Yup, I just sanded down the mis-sized endcap with some fine grit, and it works prefectly now. The warranty guy at WTB sent me out a extra end-cap anyway after I gave them the measurements. No charge and he measured it himself before he dropped it the mail. So a big thumbs up to them for taking care of their customers.:thumb:

Big John

"TEAM XXL"

Yup, I just sanded down the mis-sized endcap with some fine grit, and it works prefectly now. The warranty guy at WTB sent me out a extra end-cap anyway after I gave them the measurements. No charge and he measured it himself before he dropped it the mail. So a big thumbs up to them for taking care of their customers.:thumb:
If I keep my WTB hubs I may try that as well.

Hey Ohio..

I bet if you rechecked those ends on your hubs you would actually find them Out-of-round.

Mine were the same way, brand spanking new....ten minutes with some 400grit and I was on my way....

When I first measured them with my Vernier the end came up at 20.04mm and I was scratching my head.....then I rotated it and voila, found my problem.