Quantcast

22" Bike Check

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Faction Bikes 22" Zeitgeist

So Keith and the boys at Faction hooked me up with one of their Zeitgeist completes. I swapped out the bars, stem, pedals, and seat. I frikken love this thing.

Frame and Fork - Faction
Wheels and Tires - Faction
Cranks - Faction
Pedals - Colony PC
Stem - Shadow Conspiracy Attack
Bars - Proper TTL 8" x 28"
Seat Post - Kink Pivotal
Seat - Macneil
Brake Cable - Kink Linear

Attachments

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
I guess the look a little look long but it manuals great and has plenty of pop. It is a bmx bike, and I've never had a bmx that the wheel was slammed against the seat tube. Check it...

Maybe you're just used to seeing 26's that are super slammed.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Looking good, Joel. It'd be rad if 22s actually catch on and more companies start making 22" specific parts.

How does it ride compared to a 20 and 26? I know you like it... but I want specifics! Haha.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Looking good, Joel. It'd be rad if 22s actually catch on and more companies start making 22" specific parts.

How does it ride compared to a 20 and 26? I know you like it... but I want specifics! Haha.

the zeitgeist reminds me a lot of some of the classic 20"s that i had, like my the S&M Holmes and my Hoffman TAJ, except i like it even better. (on my Taj, i had the rear wheel at 14.75" cs, on the Faction it's at 15". but with the longer front end, it balances out, leverage wise).

local Clint:

chris, like 6'5", makes the 22" look like a 20" for sure

myself

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Looks like they are coming out with another model soon... Looks like the chainstays are a bit shorter.

The rumours are true, here's the first pic of the Amero Mk1 prototype, completely new bike, re-designed from the dirt up.
Brand new wheels and tyres, tighter geometry, Odyssey components. Could possibly be the best jump bike ever.
The production model has further improvements such as slim tubing, integrated seat clamp, tiny drop-outs, removable oryg-tabs and custom S/S brace.

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Cru it feels nothing like a mtb... just like a little bit bigger 20. On my second run ever on it, i boosted a hip and got in the 7' range. It didn't take much time to get used to straight outta the box. Now with some "me-specific" parts it's money. I'm excited to ride the new frame they are putting out this spring. I know they hook it up for me, but I can honestly say that this bike will kill big trails.

oh and this thing is rolling around 26-27lbs as I have it now... that's with 48's front and rear. once they roll out their 36h wheelset with profile hubs, should drop a pound or so.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
joel your description sounds exactly what i have to say about my liquid, cept mine is only 25.5 lbs :D

i was very close to going for the faction though.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
joel your description sounds exactly what i have to say about my liquid, cept mine is only 25.5 lbs :D

i was very close to going for the faction though.
Got mine to 23.5 with heavy tires... :D

Glad you're still liking it! I still love mine... and everyone that tries it, loves it. My buddy Andrew even said he would ride one... but he'd probably get kicked off WTP if he did. Haha. Too bad we can't pay him like they do!

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Cru it feels nothing like a mtb... just like a little bit bigger 20. On my second run ever on it, i boosted a hip and got in the 7' range. It didn't take much time to get used to straight outta the box. Now with some "me-specific" parts it's money. I'm excited to ride the new frame they are putting out this spring. I know they hook it up for me, but I can honestly say that this bike will kill big trails.

oh and this thing is rolling around 26-27lbs as I have it now... that's with 48's front and rear. once they roll out their 36h wheelset with profile hubs, should drop a pound or so.
Cool. It will be interesting to see what you think of the new frame... that is a HUGE difference in geometry.

served

Chimp
Jan 19, 2010
I've been hearing some buzz about the 22" wheelrs, and found Joel's thread on Google.
I run admin at online bikes in Germany and had a call from one of the Faction team. They're researching all the warranty returns we get on other bikes, which is an admirable thing, as returns are a **** for us and they want to design their bikes without the common faults in other brands. I like the scientific approach and look forward to seeing the results.

Redbeard

Chimp
Jan 13, 2010
Who makes wheels/tires for a 22? Do you have to order thru Faction?
Seems like a cool idea, though. Good on them for stepping out there, and I hope it catches on.