Quantcast

22" BMX... Did I miss it??

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
I always thought a 20 looks like you robbed the punk kid down the street's bike and 24 and 26ers with tiny frames look goofy as well... I always a 22 or 23 inch bike would bridge the gap of too large and too small.

I'd ride one...

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
Yeah, you should always search before you post. Because god forbid you see something new/cool and want to discuss it with other like-minded individuals.
Yeah, this stuff gets a little old. Dude was just psyched on it and posted it up. No need to bag on him...

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
I don't see any reason to ride anything but a 20" for BMX/freestyle riding. Yes, I've tried 24" bikes. They're fun, too, but too big for my tastes.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Yeah, this stuff gets a little old. Dude was just psyched on it and posted it up. No need to bag on him...
Screw that. I say we ban him!:ban:

:happydance:

FWIW, I think this sized bike is cool. I don't think I'd ride one but it may help bridge the gap between the different size bikes and help some of the folks that think one size or the other isn't acceptable.

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
I'd totally ride a 23... call it the Jordan
I don't think you have left the '90s. It is pretty refreshing to be around someone that still pumps Naughty By Nature, Boyz 2 Men and Eazy-E without hesitation. I bet you had every pair of Jordan's when you were in Elementary school too.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I don't think you have left the '90s. It is pretty refreshing to be around someone that still pumps Naughty By Nature, Boyz 2 Men and Eazy-E without hesitation. I bet you had every pair of Jordan's when you were in Elementary school too.
Haha... the 90s rule. Fine, call it the LeBron.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
ok, here it is.......... my FACTION Zeitgeist showed up on the doorstep today...didn't expect it that quick.... got it built... immediately ditched the 7" rise bars for my beloved 8.25" TerribleOne Paul Buchannan bars.... switched the seat and post for a Macneil/Animal combo....slapped on 4 T1 park pegs...

....AND IT IS FIIING RAD !!! 22, where have you been all my life ???

i'm not saying the Zeitgeist is perfect, nor are the parts exactly the way i would want them on a custom.... but... i AM saying that 22" wheels FEEL AWESOME if you are a tall lanky dude that has always felt like your 20" was too small for you.... you step on it and it immediately feels natural. this is how it's supposed to be...............................

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
That's rad that you're actually trying it. I think the more people that try it and see it, the more likely it will be to catch on.

How does it ride compared to a 20 and compared to a 24? It seems like the geo on it could be better, what do you think?

Congrats on a unique whip!! Let's see some riding shots!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
That's rad that you're actually trying it. I think the more people that try it and see it, the more likely it will be to catch on.

How does it ride compared to a 20 and compared to a 24? It seems like the geo on it could be better, what do you think?

Congrats on a unique whip!! Let's see some riding shots!
with the way i have it set up with the big bars, it rides like a big 20".

as for geo, i think the guys at Faction had the geo designed primarily with racing in mind, which explains the long cs.... the first mod i'll be doing is grinding the dropout slots further up, and getting that cs shorter !

Last edited:

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Excellent, someone around these parts who actually scored one.

Looks pretty cool, yeah, almost hard to tell it's not a 20 with those proportions.
What gearing are you running on that? 23:9 or something?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Excellent, someone around these parts who actually scored one.

Looks pretty cool, yeah, almost hard to tell it's not a 20 with those proportions.
What gearing are you running on that? 23:9 or something?
not too hard to score one....just order one from FACTION's webstore. they also sell the wheels and tires separately if you want to build your own frame and fork. www.subculturestore.com . they're also about to offer a frame only called the Amero (haven't got the geo specs posted on it yet). maybe if they are successful with these, they might offer more options like lighter 36h rims, etc.

with the shipping cost and conversion from british pounds the total came to $786. i got an extra wheel and 2 exta tires too, so it would actually be less than that.

the complete came with 25-9. either they just used a typical 20" gear without thinking, or they deliberately wanted a stout pedal. 25/9 X 22 = 61" gear inches. but 25/10 X 22= 55. since 55 is the classic gear inches for bmx, a 10 cog in the back would have been the more "normal" choice. or, as you pointed out, 23/9 would be rad. 23/9 X 22 = 56.2" gear inches, which is real close to what I run on my MOB. for now, i like the strong gear for cranking around town. if i race it, i'll change it.

as for your point about the proportions, that's part of the reason i am so psyched on it. check it out.... let's say a classic handlebar size in bmx is 7.5". 7.5/20" = 0.375. AND.... 8.25" / 22" = 0.375 !! ----> resemblance to a 20". and to get nerdier... if you wanted it to resemble a 20" with 8.25" bars.... then put 9"s on it and you've got the same ratio again, 0.4125.

whereas 9" Solid Roseanne bars on my Macneil Deuce Deuce (which is FOR SALE if anyone wants it) look huge:

Last edited:

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
not too hard to score one....just order one from FACTION's webstore. they also sell the wheels and tires separately if you want to build your own frame and fork. www.subculturestore.com . they're also about to offer a frame only called the Amero (haven't got the geo specs posted on it yet). maybe if they are successful with these, they might offer more options like lighter 36h rims, etc.

with the shipping cost and conversion from british pounds the total came to $786. i got an extra wheel and 2 exta tires too, so it would actually be less than that.

the complete came with 25-9. either they just used a typical 20" gear without thinking, or they deliberately wanted a stout pedal. 25/9 X 22 = 61" gear inches. but 25/10 X 22= 55. since 55 is the classic gear inches for bmx, a 10 cog in the back would have been the more "normal" choice. or, as you pointed out, 23/9 would be rad. 23/9 X 22 = 56.2" gear inches, which is real close to what I run on my MOB. for now, i like the strong gear for cranking around town. if i race it, i'll change it.

as for your point about the proportions, that's part of the reason i am so psyched on it. check it out.... let's say a classic handlebar size in bmx is 7.5". 7.5/20" = 0.375. AND.... 8.25" / 22" = 0.375 !! ----> resemblance to a 20". and to get nerdier... if you wanted it to resemble a 20" with 8.25" bars.... then put 9"s on it and you've got the same ratio again, 0.4125.

whereas 9" Solid Roseanne bars on my Macneil Deuce Deuce (which is FOR SALE if anyone wants it) look huge:

Excellent. This might actually have a large enough worthy market to survive in if they play their cards right. Very small niche to fill there, but it does exist.
For a giant dude, the Rosannes might be perfect on there!

And I was just referring to the fact that someone (you) actually got one, instead of just throwing around photos and paper facts. Not necessarily the fact that they might be hard to get....
Seemed you were pretty quick on the ball with that, not him-hawin'round like a lot of nonsense you read online.

Keep us posted on the good word!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
One update. I took a whole link out of the chain and got the wheel close to the front of the dropouts. Feels a lot better.

It's actually not possible to grind the slots further and not run into clearance problems with brake arms. If you ride brakeless you could do it. So, at this point, no need to grind the slots.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Holy crap I saw one today out on the street In Cleveland! I am guessing that the group of riders must have been in to ride RaysMTB... but it was cool to see a bunch of 20s and then one that looked a little bigger but not a 24".

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
ha amazingg. I rode rays just yesterday and I've got it say.. it was freekin gnarly this year!!! Saw some local monkeys up there... like brungeman. had he not recognized my ride I wouldn't have known who he was!! Rad place Ray has built, can't wait to hit it up in a few weeks on a new frame/set-up ;)

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Huh I must have missed you yesterday. Were you riding the frame in your avatar? The next time you go to rays post or pm me. You are welcome to ride my molly... I would like to check out what you are building.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Ah darn... I would've LOVED to have hoped on a molly. I'm working on my own deuce-quad now (mainly why I was asking about your molly early). But no, I was riding my newest frame, that frame there was an older version. pics can be found here... http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2882176#post2882176 ...

I'll definitally hit you up when we head up there again... I wish I was only lucky enough to be able to ride it every weekend.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
another comparison shot, if you're interested in this bike dimension shlt.

blackmarket mob, with Nemesis Project 3.25" Weezy bars, 80mm travel fork.... and faction zeitgeist 22" wheel bmx with 9" rise Solid Roseanne Bars. grips are roughly the same height from the ground (slightly higher on the mob, at 38 1/2", measured from center of grip tube at the brake lever to the ground)....

22.5"tt/15.6"cs on the mob, 21.5"tt/15.25"cs on the faction.....

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
looks nice CMC. How does the BB height compare?
BB height to Grip height measurement is a good means to compare "vertical cockpit" size from bike to bike.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
looks nice CMC. How does the BB height compare?
BB height to Grip height measurement is a good means to compare "vertical cockpit" size from bike to bike.
yeah, that's right. my MOB's bb height is 12.75". the bb on the faction is 11.75". they told me they are considering a higher bb on a new frame they are making, which i agree would make a snappier response. 8" bars seem to work best for me. the stock bars are 7" and the 9"s were just an experiment. taller bars make the front end come up easier, sorta to balance out the long cs. (they are also considering a shorter cs on the new frame. i'll be psyched to see it.)

there's a kid, probably 13 or 14, about 5'7" at the trails, running huge 8.5" Liquor DD bars on a FIT or something.... a few years ago i would have said his bars are way too tall for him, but he does tuck no handers, big motowhips, nacnacs etc. the trend is interesting...

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2009
After seeing the Zeitgeist on the gadget show a few months back i couldn't resist giving one a go, and i have to admit, i love it! i felt the bars were a bit small so i upgraded to some united 29inchers!! i've not ridden BMX for over 15 years and riding the Zeitgeist was just like carrying on from where i left off! no getting used to the new wheel size, it just worked!
Anyway, there's a definite lack of pics and vids online featuring the Faction bikes, so how about any other owners out there post up a few pics? there's a few in the facebook group but if you have a flickr account, tag the images with FactionBikeCo and then we can easily find them?
i've just put my first few attemps online on flickr

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
After seeing the Zeitgeist on the gadget show a few months back i couldn't resist giving one a go, and i have to admit, i love it! i felt the bars were a bit small so i upgraded to some united 29inchers!! i've not ridden BMX for over 15 years and riding the Zeitgeist was just like carrying on from where i left off! no getting used to the new wheel size, it just worked!
Anyway, there's a definite lack of pics and vids online featuring the Faction bikes, so how about any other owners out there post up a few pics? there's a few in the facebook group but if you have a flickr account, tag the images with FactionBikeCo and then we can easily find them?
i've just put my first few attemps online on flickr

Rich - nice piccies - I just noticed that you have a front brake fitted to the model.
On the Faction website the bike doesn't have one and neither do the forks seem to have a hole for a front brake - did you fit one yourself? If so how?
I ask this as this is the one feature that I do like is a front brake.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin