Quantcast

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo '05 - Plans and Smacktalk

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
Hey Troll, well she's supposedly doing Dalton too...so if ya here the pop up a rockin...dont come a knockin :D
''

I'm gonna follow her around the Dalton course and hit on her for 24 hours straight.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
Read that ECHO, cause thats a

Westy you should come on out to NY & do this: http://www.bikereg.com/races/register.asp?EventID=1952 & hit on her for 6 hours !

(it's like 30 minutes from my place)
I'd love to do more traveling/riding this year but I have to travel so much for work anymore I want to just keep my but at home as much as possible. Which reminds me, I'm in SoCal this week and need to get a hold of the West Coasters to check on their training progress.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
You gots a bike? The weather has been pretty damn awesome out here lately.
I got's the bike and all the gear required. It was a bitch to fly with, I was hoping to convince you or T-Dog hold on to it and possibly take it with you to Old Pueblo for me.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
douglas said:
Read that ECHO, cause thats a

Westy you should come on out to NY & do this: http://www.bikereg.com/races/register.asp?EventID=1952 & hit on her for 6 hours !

(it's like 30 minutes from my place)
Interesting....I teach at Central Park Middle School (and it overlooks Central Park) and I have never seen or heard of this race? :think: I even shop at Plaines occassionally? Weird....

I definately have to question the "semi-technical" nature of the course though. They must be building something, because it's pretty flat and open terrain.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
I got's the bike and all the gear required. It was a bitch to fly with, I was hoping to convince you or T-Dog hold on to it and possibly take it with you to Old Pueblo for me.
You should ride tonight with chicken hawk and I. You could make it to Thousand Oaks from Chatsworth no problem - about 25 miles.

No problem on storing and delivering your bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
You should ride tonight with chicken hawk and I. You could make it to Thousand Oaks from Chatsworth no problem - about 25 miles.

No problem on storing and delivering your bike.
What time are you riding? My bike is still in pieces and I won't be getting out of here until after 6:00. I don't have any lights either.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
What time are you riding? My bike is still in pieces and I won't be getting out of here until after 6:00. I don't have any lights either.
Dude, you need to get outta there earlier. Fake going into labor or something. I could loan you one of my lights, but we're gonna hit the trail by 6:00.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
Dude, you need to get outta there earlier. Fake going into labor or something. I could loan you one of my lights, but we're gonna hit the trail by 6:00.
Not going to be able to do it. Enjoy and let me know if you guys are up for a ride this weekend.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
Not going to be able to do it. Enjoy and let me know if you guys are up for a ride this weekend.
Well, you could meet up with us for tea afterwards. Our training regimen is so strict right now we can't even have a beer.

There will most certainly be a ride this weekend. Maybe we could go hit Gridley on Saturday. That trail came through the storms in fine shape.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
Interesting....I teach at Central Park Middle School (and it overlooks Central Park) and I have never seen or heard of this race? :think: I even shop at Plaines occassionally? Weird....

I definately have to question the "semi-technical" nature of the course though. They must be building something, because it's pretty flat and open terrain.

good point.....I watched part of a cyclecross race there last fall, definitely wouldnt be a typical xc course

ps: I plan on doing this one: http://www.bikereg.com/races/register.asp?EventID=1949

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
ghostrider said:
Well, you could meet up with us for tea afterwards. Our training regimen is so strict right now we can't even have a beer.

There will most certainly be a ride this weekend. Maybe we could go hit Gridley on Saturday. That trail came through the storms in fine shape.
Bob and I are riding Gridley tonight.....I'll report any changes there. Saturday sounds like a good day to go back to the lookout tower- early in the day tho- it's been in the 80's all week.
As a side note, I checked out the rv last night, looks like it will work out great-I'm picking it up tomorrow for some testing.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
ghostrider said:
Be careful out there T-Dog. That's a high-danger trail for night riding. We need you healthy for the 2 laps you are signed up for in Tucson.
2 laps? No prob.

The ride last night was really fun, a couple of the slide areas are rideable and are fun new features of the trail. Sounds like sunday might be the best day to ride now that Chickenhawk is out for the weekend.

We've got a canvas wall tent on the way to take to AZ- approx. 10x10 with a 7' ceiling....should make for a great change room-bike gear storage/drying area. Also, I got the rv today, and took it for a test drive...it's fully equipped and will work out really well.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Echo said:
I thought we did 17 laps last year, and we had one pretty slow rider, 3 about average riders, and one fast rider. This year we will have all fast people and no slow person, so unless I decide to sleep through a lap again, we should do OK. I still don't know why ghostrider was so upset that I was late for relieving him, because at the end it saved him from having to do another lap :D
During my two night laps it was pretty weird. The first time out there were lots of riders, the second time out just before the sun came up the course was practically deserted. When I talked to people no one would admit they slept in through the night. I was the slow guy last year, this year i have changed teams and bikes. The goal is very simple-pass more people than pass me. ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The early morning laps and the sunrise laps are the best. The late ones have an eerie timelessness to them and seeing the first morning light is quite invigorating.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
T-Dog said:
2 laps? No prob.

The ride last night was really fun, a couple of the slide areas are rideable and are fun new features of the trail. Sounds like sunday might be the best day to ride now that Chickenhawk is out for the weekend.

We've got a canvas wall tent on the way to take to AZ- approx. 10x10 with a 7' ceiling....should make for a great change room-bike gear storage/drying area. Also, I got the rv today, and took it for a test drive...it's fully equipped and will work out really well.
T-Dog, you is the man. Whoever gets to the race first needs to rope off about 10 acres for our compound.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
The early morning laps and the sunrise laps are the best. The late ones have an eerie timelessness to them and seeing the first morning light is quite invigorating.
I got the sunrise lap in Old Pueblo last year, I think it was a defining moment in my life. Or something.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
West coast team: The good news is I implemented our plan to perfection this weekend. I led Westy through 47 water crossings yesterday, so his bottom bracket should sieze sometime during his 2nd lap next month. And I stole his spare tube and poisoned his Camelbak.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
that reminds me, I stopped slacking and I upped my training.........starting last week, my plan is to drink everyday from now on, I should be more than ready to get my drink on by race time!!

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
ghostrider said:
West coast team: The good news is I implemented our plan to perfection this weekend. I led Westy through 47 water crossings yesterday, so his bottom bracket should sieze sometime during his 2nd lap next month. And I stole his spare tube and poisoned his Camelbak.
Excellent! Now if he's still healthy on the night ride tomorrow, I'll hit him in the knee, Kerrigan-style. He's leaving his bike here too, which I plan to fill with lead shot, upping the weight of his "Super light" to approx. 50 lbs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
T-Dog said:
Excellent! Now if he's still healthy on the night ride tomorrow, I'll hit him in the knee, Kerrigan-style. He's leaving his bike here too, which I plan to fill with lead shot, upping the weight of his "Super light" to approx. 50 lbs.
Be carefull with the Superlight, she is possesed and will protect herself if need be. Her last owner was found dead on the trail with his jugular vein slit by the chainring after trying to lube her chain with WD-40.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
Westy uses inner tubes?

Tubeless all the way, but I still carry a spare tube.

Apparently all it takes to give a Californian a mechainical is a few golf ball sized rocks. I plan on buying a 50lb bag of gravel on the way to the race and dumping it on the trail.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
Apparently all it takes to give a Californian a mechainical is a few golf ball sized rocks.
Dude you chucked golf ball sized rocks at ghostrider, then managed to convince him it was a mechanical? Winning this race is going to be easier than I thought.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
T-Dog said:
Maybe you could get a few of your canines to mark their territory on Westy's tires. He'd be attacked by wolves out in the desert on his night lap.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
Dude you chucked golf ball sized rocks at ghostrider, then managed to convince him it was a mechanical? Winning this race is going to be easier than I thought.
I threw them at his tires.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Echo said:
He actually thinks those flats were accidental. They are all part of the plan.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Look at the attached spreadsheet and send me any missing info or complaints. This is my best guess at how we can accomodate everybody. If you want to make a change because I've stuck you with somebody who smells funny, let me know and I'll change it. Again, this is just a preliminary draft, subject to change and ridicule.

Attachments

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
Look at the attached spreadsheet and send me any missing info or complaints. This is my best guess at how we can accomodate everybody. If you want to make a change because I've stuck you with somebody who smells funny, let me know and I'll change it. Again, this is just a preliminary draft, subject to change and ridicule.
There seems to be a lack of detail. I'll need a bed with a proper dust ruffle, at least 400tpi sheets and turndown service at about 7:00PM. I also suffer from night terrors so anyone within 100 yards may want to wear several layers of ear protection, it rarely become violent but shoulder and head protection may also be a good idea.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I dont really care who picks me up / where I stay/sleep/etc.........only thing I was wondering about was if it would be better to try & have teams sleeping in the same (rv, popup) for the race??

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
ghostrider said:
I'm colorblind. Uuuh yeah, I'm going to have to have you go ahead and put those names and vehicles in all different fonts so I can tell them apart thanks.

On a positive note, I talked with our long lost female teammate. She assured me that she's been training everyday, and last night outsprinted a Dodge viper. Also, she may be flying in to Tucson thursday night as well...so we may have 4 people to get from the Airport to the site, altho Mr. Westy may be renting a vehicle there.