Quantcast

24 inch bmx cruiser advice wanted

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Hey. First post here. I used to ride BMX freestyle back in the day, mid eighties. Got out of it a long time ago but enjoy riding my mountain bike around the bmx track and skatepark. Nothing too rad ( do people still say rad?) as I'm a bit old and out of practise. But I can do small jumps and stuff. Anyway, I've been looking at 24inch cruisers and love them. Thinking about getting the So cal flyer by S.E bikes. Love the old school look. I know they are suposed to be race bikes, but I've seen cool flatland and skatepark stuff being done on a 24 on You tube on a D.K. general lee.
How do people think the so cal flyer would hold out on jumps, bit of street riding , etc? Anyone try the frame geometry? Is it the right kind of bike for an old man who wants to ride a bit harder? Thanks guys.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I think the We The People "Avenue" 24" is one of the better complete cruisers that is street/dirt/park (what used to be called freestyle) rather than race. Main difference is having axles and dropouts you can put pegs on, having 990-style u-brakes instead of v-brakes, and being 4130 chromoly steel instead of aluminum.

The bike is lighter and has better geometry than similar DK General Lee 24" and Haro Backtrail 24".

Check out how this dude did a makeover on a Backtrail 24:

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=27004427&st=0

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
the wethepeople and the fit are nice. the fit comes with better parts at a higher cost. that's what I would buy if I had the coin. there aren't a lot of nice cruisers to be found without going custom.

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
I was going to recommend the WTP but was beat to it. The WTP Avenue is awesome, costs a little more than the DK but I'd much rather spend a little more on a bike and get that one.

That Haro is soooooooooooo bada$$

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
What is that blue bungee cord pretending to be a chain on that Haro? o.0
it's a chain cover. It's plastic, like a straw, and has a slice lengthwise in it. Open the slice, place over the chain... The 80's had a lot of useles but colorful products.:):bonk:

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
why is there no love for the 24" traildigger? im lookin at buying one this summer. id rather have it than the avenue, since it comes with 25/10 instead of a freewheel. not having a 100% cromo frame doesnt seem like the end of the world to me

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I would have to try the insanely high bottom bracket to see if I could get used to it....
The TT could be a bit longer for my tastes, as well.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks for all the advice. The avenue is a nice bike, but a bit out of my price range. I may hang out a little for a second hand bike. I've seen a federal for sale. Don't know how good they are.
What's the deal with fitting pegs? I thought I'd be able to fit them onto any bike.
I'm not that worried about the cro-mo either. More thinking about the geometry and weight (and looks of course)

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
why is there no love for the 24" traildigger? im lookin at buying one this summer. id rather have it than the avenue, since it comes with 25/10 instead of a freewheel. not having a 100% cromo frame doesnt seem like the end of the world to me
not cromo and overall crappy parts. they ride fairly nice but they are weak and i could feel some serious flex in the one i test rode

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I would have to try the insanely high bottom bracket to see if I could get used to it....
The TT could be a bit longer for my tastes, as well.
the bb height thing is interesting.... 13.75" is 1.75" taller higher than axle-center. which is exactly how most 20" bikes are built. 10 + 1.75 => 11.75" bb.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Thanks for all the advice. The avenue is a nice bike, but a bit out of my price range. I may hang out a little for a second hand bike. I've seen a federal for sale. Don't know how good they are.
What's the deal with fitting pegs? I thought I'd be able to fit them onto any bike.
I'm not that worried about the cro-mo either. More thinking about the geometry and weight (and looks of course)
back in the day, people put crappy thread-on pegs on any bike. the pegs stripped out, the axles bent and stripped etc. things have evolved. race hubs still have axles that are as light as possible and are not intended for peg use. street/ramp bikes generally have 14mm rear axle (pretty fat looking) and a special-treated longer/stronger 3/8" axle in the front. also, dropouts are thicker on bikes intended for peg use.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
the bb height thing is interesting.... 13.75" is 1.75" taller higher than axle-center. which is exactly how most 20" bikes are built. 10 + 1.75 => 11.75" bb.
I wonder if their frame jigs don't allow for adjusting that variable....

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
how much does the bb need to be above the wheel axles to allow adequate space for 50/50 grinds?

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
is there a huge difference between the way a 20" and a 24" feel?
yes, but i like both. i like trails/racing/jumping better on cruisers. but skatepark tech tricks like 540 tailtaps, tailwhips etc are generally better on a 20" although people are even doing that stuff on 26" mtbmx now.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
define "benefit".

unlike baseball or wrestling, there are no rules when it comes to riding a bike. any trick can be done on any sized bike (with maybe the exception of the old time bikes:)).

Ride what feels good under you. :thumb:

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I'll try to keep this in the same post and hope I get a reply. Well, I missed out on the So Cal flyer, leaving it too long. Now I'm looking at a D.K. General Lee or Haro X24 backtrail. Not so much choice here in the U.K. A lot of bikes out of stock or out of my price range.
The models I've seen of these bikes are 2008 versions. I've read some reviews of earlier models that make them sound like pretty sound bikes to build upon. Anyone have any thoughts on the newer versions. Any major changes? Hope to be riding soon.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
sittingduck.. your mosh is dialed for an all out workhorse. it looks like it actually gets ridden with real parts unlike some of these magazine quality rigs i've seen posted up.

roach666

Chimp
Aug 15, 2007
Don't know if you are still looking for a 24" but I just picked up a Mirra Co. Icon 20 forty for $380.00

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Like the 2010 We The People 24", the 2010 FIT CR 24 also seems to have a higher bottom bracket--(though hopefully not as high as 13.75"... )

SUNDAY's hype started a trend.

.... and slightly off-topic.... just saw this on thecomeup

Big news for Sunday Bikes… they are re-locating to Austin, TX. Much of the Odyssey team moved there over the past month or two and now Jim C is joining him:

“Yep, that’s right I’m joining everyone at OTX Design and moving to Austin on November 1st. This is a big move for myself and Sunday, there’s big plans next year and I felt it was time for the move. Austin will be the new home base for Sunday, so you’ll be able take care of your warranties, order new products and hear about our R&D. See you in Texas in November!”

Last edited: