Quantcast

24 inches of love

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I'm loving the Kenda Kiniption 2.3 tires I've got on my Fall guy now. They roll super fast and have tread that wraps completely around making the sidewalls stiffer.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I'm running the K-Rads, I was thinking of getting a kiniption for the rear when the tire I have wears out. How do the two tires compare?

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
scurban said:
I'm running the K-Rads, I was thinking of getting a kiniption for the rear when the tire I have wears out. How do the two tires compare?
I've been using the bike on the hard packed indoor bmx track. I had my holy rollers folding over when I would corner hard, unless I ran the pressure at 80lbs, I'd assume the k-rads would be about the same. The side walls of the kiniptions are much stiffer due to the tread on them. They have been working perfectly and roll very fast. For softer dirt the k-rads or holy rollers would be better, but for hard pack and concrete the kiniptions are fantastic, not to mention they are half the weight of a hook worm.

Oh, they look really cool too.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
TWISTED said:
I've been using the bike on the hard packed indoor bmx track. I had my holy rollers folding over when I would corner hard, unless I ran the pressure at 80lbs, I'd assume the k-rads would be about the same. The side walls of the kiniptions are much stiffer due to the tread on them. They have been working perfectly and roll very fast. For softer dirt the k-rads or holy rollers would be better, but for hard pack and concrete the kiniptions are fantastic, not to mention they are half the weight of a hook worm.

Oh, they look really cool too.
nice, you wouldn't happen to know the weight of the kiniption off the top of your head would you?

pbskis14

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
This was under my tree yesterday: :)

This thing is awesome...... Cant wait to build it up. Im on a bit of a tight budget so im planning on using most of my parts from my IH Porter. Rynolite wheels rebuilt on an odyssey cassette hub, Truvative cranks, Sky Pilot headset etc....

I just cant decide on a fork...... my old porter has a POS Marz. MX comp.... definatly not going on this bike, so i was looking into either a fox RLT 80 or Manitous new Gold Label forks 80. Any suggestions or thoughs on which one would be best on this frame?? Does anyone know if Manitou started shipping the goldlabels yet??

Pete

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
pbskis14 said:
This was under my tree yesterday: :)

This thing is awesome...... Cant wait to build it up. Im on a bit of a tight budget so im planning on using most of my parts from my IH Porter. Rynolite wheels rebuilt on an odyssey cassette hub, Truvative cranks, Sky Pilot headset etc....

I just cant decide on a fork...... my old porter has a POS Marz. MX comp.... definatly not going on this bike, so i was looking into either a fox RLT 80 or Manitous new Gold Label forks 80. Any suggestions or thoughs on which one would be best on this frame?? Does anyone know if Manitou started shipping the goldlabels yet??

Pete
I can't see your photos.
We've had Gold Labels for months. Last I heard, Manitou was out of the 20mm thru axle versions. You might have to wait for them to make some more.
The new Marzocchi DJ might be cool, I don't know if you can get it pre set to 80mm or lower though.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
It's pretty much designed around the Manitou's Axel/Crown height, and that seems to be the best choice for most people. Although, I recently saw a fall guy built up on HCOR with an 80mm fox, and it looked really really nice. Just try to keep the sugguested 455mm axel/crown height in mind. I've got an 05 Marzocchi DJ on my set to 65mm of travel, Its a bit on the heavy side, but none the less, its working out great. The New DJ is quite a bit lighter, and would probably be a great choice, provided you don't mind lowering it. You can make your own kit with pvc pipe (what I did) or you can get one from Nemisis project for like $50.

These bikes are amazing. You're not going to be disappointed at all!

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
scurban said:
You can make your own kit with pvc pipe (what I did) or you can get one from Nemisis project for like $50.

These bikes are amazing. You're not going to be disappointed at all!
PVC tends to explode in your fork when your not expecting it to , just ask Santiago from Atlantic bikes I watched his PVC kit take a crap on him right in front of our Ibike booth this year !!

Titanium doesn't explode , and our kit also acts as a high speed compression sleeve. This helps increase the forks damping for the needs of true street riding !!
We are also shipping the kits with new extended negative springs we just got in from Zoke .

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I really like the vibe of this thread, and seeing people stoked on the bikes is fun.

Speaking of fun, Tonic is helping to support a "Big Wheels" night at out local indoor. Flyer is here: http://www.matchvideozine.com/bigwheels.jpg

If you are in the Portland area check it out.

This park is generally well attended. It says 24 and 26 bikes, but no one is going to be turned away. Of course.

Eric Johnson from Stump503 layed out the flyer.

Landon.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Landon said:
I really like the vibe of this thread, and seeing people stoked on the bikes is fun.

Speaking of fun, Tonic is helping to support a "Big Wheels" night at out local indoor. Flyer is here: http://www.matchvideozine.com/bigwheels.jpg

If you are in the Portland area check it out.

This park is generally well attended. It says 24 and 26 bikes, but no one is going to be turned away. Of course.

Eric Johnson from Stump503 layed out the flyer.

Landon.
Ahhh the official flyer, nice!
The races will be cool, but it might be hard to get people to sign up unless Tony sits out or just rides the skate park contest.

pbskis14

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
Hey Landon

My mechanic was wondering if the gusset on the top tube is welded or brazed.... Not really sure why he cares but i told him id ask u

thanks
Pete

pbskis14

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
Almost done!!! Just waiting on the rear wheel.... its getting rebuild on an Odessey cassette hub.......

The fork is an interesting story..... I had a pos '05 MZ Comp fork and my buddy had an '02 DJ I. He snapped the arch on his DJ so we decided to combine the forks and it turned out reallly well. The new Frankenstein fork has the MZ comp lowers and DJ I stanchions, internals and crown. The fork has 82mm of travel, 446mm axel to crown and is super smooth.... Ill probably only use it temporarily until I can afford a Gold Label…..

Pete

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
the fork looks a little lower than 80mm. Get that thing finished man I want to see the end result

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
The Gussets are welded. Tiny welds.

Good job thinking of some low cost solutions for building up the frame. This a big problem with the Fall Guy...very few people have the parts they need to build one laying around, especially the rear wheel, which can make the bike a little expensive to build. On the other hand, you will not be disapointed with the performance of a zero dish wheel built on Hazard Hub, and V-Brake. I suggest an Odyssey linear cable for your build.

Also:
Europeans interested in a Fall Guy will like this:
http://www.descent-world.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=201&Itemid=82

Landon.

Lennart

Chimp
Oct 21, 2005
The Hague, Holland
Tonic finally available in EU countries!
Only, if i were to order one, it will be through Ride-This, or Tonic directly.. Though i wonder how many FallGuys will be ordered in England, for 550 British POUNDS! According to x-rates.com, 550,- pounds, would be like 945 DOLLARS, or almost 800 euros.. Hmmm.....
(My bike complete cost me about € 1400,- of wich € 400,- for the frame..)

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Lennart said:
Tonic finally available in EU countries!
Only, if i were to order one, it will be through Ride-This, or Tonic directly.. Though i wonder how many FallGuys will be ordered in England, for 550 British POUNDS! According to x-rates.com, 550,- pounds, would be like 945 DOLLARS, or almost 800 euros.. Hmmm.....
(My bike complete cost me about € 1400,- of wich € 400,- for the frame..)
Its worth every penny, get yourself 550 pounds and go get one.

Lennart

Chimp
Oct 21, 2005
The Hague, Holland
...well... just to compare: either pay 550 British Pounds ($945, ex shipping!!), or order at ride-this and have it shipped: $550 for the frame, plus 'bout 120 bucks for shipping it to Holland: 670 US Dollars, or 559 Euros/ 385 British Pounds...
I hope i'm not feeding negativity to this thread, but there's NO WAY i'm paying 550 pounds for a hardtail frame, even a Fall Guy..

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lennart:

I agree, that's a lot of cash for a FG. Keep in mind that price is for the UK, not the rest of Europe. 550, albeit steep, happens to be about the going rate for micro-brand hardtail in the UK. Curtis, Black Market, Evil and Brooklyn are all in this price range.

There are a couple hurdles for UK residents. Namely, having to pay a nearly 18% Tax on imported goods, as well as a 6% sales tax, in addition to steep shipping costs, because we aren't able to ship boat.

Like you said, it is possible to order a frame from Ride-This, or other mail order outfits for less. I'm not sure UK residents would realize a significant savings going this route do to the taxes and shipping costs.

I'm only just learning about this end of the business myself, and don't claim to be an expert. I do know some larger MTB companies offically forbid domestic mail order outfits from selling overseas, but actually policing this sounds tough to do correctly.

A good local distributior can do a lot for a brand. In Nigel's case he's built a bike out of his own pocket (cutting no corners) that will be reviewed in magazines, and will be at events for anyone to test ride before they buy one. If someone has a problem with the frame, he can immdiately help, as well as answer questions in a timely fashion. For some customers, he's providing a service worth paying for.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Landon said:
Keep in mind that price is for the UK, not the rest of Europe. 550, albeit steep, happens to be about the going rate for micro-brand hardtail in the UK. Curtis, Black Market, Evil and Brooklyn are all in this price range.
Tru Dat.

Landon said:
Microbrand
I prefer the term 'good'. Curtis are... amazing. Such nice bikes. Little details for those that don't know: Basically every frame is made to order with very subtle variations of Reynolds T45 tubing and angles avaiable. Headtubes are machined from billet EN16 steel (ridiculous strength). These are strong, strong bikes that weigh only what they need to. A step up from 4130 in terms of strength to weight and cool design to boot.

http://www.curtisbikes.co.uk/

</end curtis plug>

Ahem - Excuse me.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Twisted, thanks for taking the time to shoot some photos last night! That transfer line is fun, and condusive to the only thing I know how to do which is a table top. We've got a great resource with this indoor track and bike park, especially with all the rain we've been getting.

I want to encourage any mountain biker types to attend "Big Wheels" night on Sundays from 4-7.

Landon.

pbskis14

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
Finally finish my FG...........waited 2 weeks for a damn seat post. But its finally done! This thing is SICK..... Rides soooo well. Still gettting used to the short CS... Let me know what ya think of the build... (def needs new cranks)

Odyssey Rear Cassette Hub.....so nice

Matching seat :D

Pete

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
That came out super nice! It took me a few rides to get used to the chain stays too, now that I've got a feel for them I don't think I could ride a bike with long chainstays again.

I just ordered some profiles for mine yesterday, and in a month or so, I'm getting a ti spindle, and I'm going to change the gear ratio to 29/13. Its already pretty light, but that should help me shave a few unwanted pounds off it.

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
wat brake u using? can i see them? haha... i got so parts for it while waiting for the frame ( well i got some problem with paypal lol. so i have quite delayed the payment).. i think now all i left is my wheelset = ) btw sweet rear hub. love the buzzing sound haha

pbskis14

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
the bike came out super lite... I was really suprized... With a not so accurate scale the full build came out to be between 28 or 29 lbs. I was super stocked...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
pbskis14 said:
the bike came out super lite... I was really suprized... With a not so accurate scale the full build came out to be between 28 or 29 lbs. I was super stocked...
Cool, nice bike. My Fall Guy is 25lbs from a pretty accurate scale.

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
do u think there can be lower weight? lol well.. i hope the whole bike to come under 10kg which is around 22.5 lbs. but seem impossible.. haha. man.. gotta put full ti stuff haha

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
try this build see what happens:
Easton Lite dh bars
SIC classic stem (low stack height, so you can cut the steerer)
fox float 80mm fork
Thomson seat post
Odyssey Jr seat
DK distortion pedals Mag with the ti spindle's
Primo Powerbite cranks with ti spindle
Kenda K-Rad 2.3 tires
Rhyno Lite rims
Odyssey Hazard lite rear hub
Shimano XTR lever
Shimano Deore brake.

I bet it'd be semi-close to 10kg.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
kenjikuro said:
do u think there can be lower weight? lol well.. i hope the whole bike to come under 10kg which is around 22.5 lbs. but seem impossible.. haha. man.. gotta put full ti stuff haha
I don't think a lighter build would be safe for hard riding. I'm using Stylo XC cranks and Gigapipe SL BB, Thomson stem and seatpost, lightweight bars, and I had 1.85" Holy Rollers, which I have switched out to 2.35 Kiniptions that are heavier and brought the weight up to 26lbs or so. I wouldn't want it any lighter.