Quantcast

24 inches of love

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Looks good!

Quick unrelated question for anyone out there: do you know if there are Profile installation instructions anywhere on the web? I know the principle but I'd like a set. Also, do you need the installation/removal tool to get 'em on?

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
yea, screw in the inst/removal tool all the way in, tight, then bang it with the hammer to remove your cranks.

stoked - frame looks sick. FG44? sheesh, you're late on the boat - mine is FG16 ;) i cant wait to see your murder trails on that setup.
i think i'll look into the knight tensioner and them kool stops.

don - that backyard of yours looks like hours and hours of fun.

not to compete with any other action shots in this thread - here is one from yesturday. hop.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
yea, shino is my boy. we ride all the time.
as far as i know i'm the only person with a fallguy he knows, well, stoked just got one - thats two. but he might know someone i dont. :)

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
yea, shino is my boy. we ride all the time.
as far as i know i'm the only person with a fallguy he knows, well, stoked just got one - thats two. but he might know someone i dont. :)

Hahahah
That's great pic of Shino in the backround :clue: I wish we had good trails like that near me .

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
One little update: My size 12 Vans and 170mm cranks w/ a 2.3" Krad and 80mm Z1 have PLENTY of toe clearance, and I ride way feet-forward. Of course now I wish I'd done 175mms and saved myself a lot of trouble but oh well.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I think with size 12's 170's are a good choice if you need clearence, Clarence. You might appreciate the shorter cranks if you decide to run knobbies. The 2.125" Comp 3, and the DMR Digger are fairly tall tires.

More action photos?

Foot on crank=Cranked.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
yup, Landon. Like my buddy Milo says - "folded"

Don't even tell me that's a transfer from one bowl to the other - damn!

BTW, thanks everyone on the Backyard props. It's fun working on it and of course getting a run or 3 before or after work. I dig landscaping and love to intergrate the ramps and dirt jump with it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think with size 12's 170's are a good choice if you need clearence, Clarence. You might appreciate the shorter cranks if you decide to run knobbies. The 2.125" Comp 3, and the DMR Digger are fairly tall tires.

More action photos?

Foot on crank=Cranked.

Roger, roger.

Nice pic!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Want to come stay for a while at my place???:lighten: :lighten:
I would love to and I'll split the Bobcat rental fees as long as I can drive it :D

BTW, my wife asked me what I wanted for my B-day (next month) and she wasn't too freaked when I said a weekend out at Ray's. I'll let you guys know if it is something I do get. [keeping fingers crossed]

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Hey Vas - those trails are looking good but if you're ever in Jersey and want to ride dirt let me know. Also, you NYC boys ever go to Lakewood/Incline Club in the winter months?

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Don
Nice FBM stem ... nice to see Phil's work represented in the MTB world !!! ( Pssst he's machineing our stems right now )

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Hey Don, how's the clearance of that Kiniption on the rear?
It's pretty good. The USB's CS and SS clearance is fine, it's the Fly 990 brakes that would rub on some tires. With the Kiniption being smooth it's close but has no rubbing. A K-Rad 2.3 (same size) would rub on the brakes.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Man you guys have eagle eyes and know your FBM stuff!

Brad - the stem is very nice, I'm sure Wasson's work will meet your expectations. That being said, I might go back to the Standard stem I was running right before the FBM. It's a bit shorter and I liked the shape of it better. I'm really weird about looking down on the bar area and having things looking and feeling dialed.

Trust - thanks - the bike just feels no frills and is like a work horse which I think is perfect.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Hey Vas - those trails are looking good but if you're ever in Jersey and want to ride dirt let me know. Also, you NYC boys ever go to Lakewood/Incline Club in the winter months?
yea, these trails are amazing, litteraly a sea of jumps.
yes, we do go out to Incline and Hacketstown alot when its sloppy out. them are fun fun places.
i would love to check out some NJ dirt, deffinately. unfortunately i'm heading into a ACL surgery in 2 weeks.... doc says it will take me a week or two to recover - so as soon as i do, i'm there :( :)

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Hey all,

Got a friend who is looking into getting a 24" wheeled frame. We've seen the USB frame, and would like other suggestions. I started looking thru the thread, but 52 pages is over whelming :banghead:

Would also consider used if there are any out there. I made it thru a couple pages of classifieds, but didn't see any.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I have had an Arrow Launch and Several 2.3 Krads in mine without problems??? That was pre- Fly brakes though....hmmm might have to check that out. I am riding "The Flow" in Columbus tonight though so it might be a couple days..Although, I know of two regulars at Ray's running 2.3 Krads??? Weirdness...

Shoot me an email Don.

www.unionstreetbikes.com

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hey all,

Got a friend who is looking into getting a 24" wheeled frame. We've seen the USB frame, and would like other suggestions. I started looking thru the thread, but 52 pages is over whelming :banghead:

Would also consider used if there are any out there. I made it thru a couple pages of classifieds, but didn't see any.
For a very BMX-feeling 24" bike look at the Tonic Fab Fall Guy along with the Molly.

A bit more MTB, but still very BMX is the Nemesis Project Deathmobile.

Their sites are:

www.unionstreetbikes.com
www.tonicfab.com
www.nemesisproject.com

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I have had an Arrow Launch and Several 2.3 Krads in mine without problems??? That was pre- Fly brakes though....hmmm might have to check that out. I am riding "The Flow" in Columbus tonight though so it might be a couple days..Although, I know of two regulars at Ray's running 2.3 Krads??? Weirdness...

Shoot me an email Don.
yeah, it is all in the brakes - plenty of frame clearance in this pic:

I run my 990's a little on the loose side too, so they would slightly rub when combined w/ a slightly wobbly K-Rad.

BTW, the Revenge 990's look to have a more clearance. And have sealed bearings as pivots. Has anyone heard how they work?

Look out for an email soon.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Don, what do you think about that holy roller on the front, you ever ride any street?
I love the Holy Roller up front but it might be more of a DJ/Park tire. The only street I ride is in my driveway or the road in front of my house :)

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
opjones - Work off the list Bicyclist provided for 24" frames.

Vas - Hope the knee stuff goes wheel - better to do it in the winter/cold months and 2 week recovery is not bad at all. We still have some fixing up to do at the trails so there's no rush. Hopefully the winter in NJ this year will be mellow and we can get some building and riding thru the next few months. Otherwise, we'll see you at Incline :)

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I wish I could take credit for the part choice.

It is very similiar to my bike though; I am particulary jealous of the white fly pedals. Using a bmx front hub was very ingenious as you can normally obtain the hub and fork cheaper than the more commonly used 20mm hub and fork; without much loss (if any) in performance.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
hey lee you slacker, I saw where you pranked my phone today, what's up wid dat?!? hahaha. that brown is the best ever and whoever built it up has some good taste. I really like the bmx hub/qr fork!

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
The internal cable routing is kinda cool .

Did you polish your machneil post , of jsut the outside profile ??