Quantcast

26" bighit?

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Hey, does anybody know if the company that makes/made the 26" wheel conversion for a bighit still make them?

I would like to convert my bighit to 26" with one, but I was wondering how much they cost?

I also heard that they mess up your head angle, making it steep, but I have an 05' 66rc that is 170mm. Its pretty raked out. :ouch:

Thanks

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
richcreek said:
that is in euros, notice the "E" looking thing becide the value.
I don't know if you're joking or not, but that is a Great Britain Pound symbol... Not a Euro.

I have foound that it is more cost effictive to buy a new bike. The Stay jacks up the HA too much htat you need a taller fork which raises the bb height, in return you need to find a shorter eye to eye shock with the same stroke. By this time you could sell the big hit and buy a new frame for what you would be spending on the mods.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Except for the fact it doesn't roll over stuff.

And yes I've ridden one, I owned one for a while.

steelewheels

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
I run a boxxer and the fsr biglink, it has a super slack head angle. I love the bike so i wanna get another season outta it and see if i can go 26in the rear with the 06 seat stay... already have a hadley/521 sitting in the closet...

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
The BETD 26" seat stay is a decent product, well manufactured and not that heavy...but it's expensive in the US.

Keep in mind that with the 26" seat stay you will have a:
- Longer wheelbase
- Slightly higher BB
- More travel (8.9" instead of 8.1")

I liked it for rough and high speed tracks.
It was very stable and at it best when ridden hard and fast.
I've put a shorter (8.5") eye2eye shock on it to lower the BB but
my problem with my Bighit was that it was a Large and with the longer wheelbase,
it was just too long for me, especially noticeable when cornering.

Because I rode more tight-technical tracks with lots of switchbacks
I went back to the original seat stay and 24" wheel.
I preferred the nimble feel and maneuverability of the 24" and kept the shorter shock,
giving 7.1" travel and I was faster than ever before.

Bighit with the BETD 26" seat stay

Attachments

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
haromtnbiker

Do you race? Why do you think you need a 26"? Ive seen guys with a rear 24 do everything that guys on 26s can do. There is not that much difference. I can see 26s for racing but for everything else the 24 in the rear would be find.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
steelewheels said:
Yo Preppie! are you interested in selling your seatstay since you have switched back to 24?
Sorry, I've recently sold my complete bighit including the 26" seatstay.
The guy I sold it to is 6.4ft tall and it fits him perfectly.

My original shock was a tuned Fox RC (8.75" with 2.75"stroke)
The shorter one was a 5th element (8.5" with 2.5" stroke)

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Kanter said:
haromtnbiker

Do you race? Why do you think you need a 26"? Ive seen guys with a rear 24 do everything that guys on 26s can do. There is not that much difference. I can see 26s for racing but for everything else the 24 in the rear would be find.

I do race some, but not real seriously.

I think I will spend some money sometime soon and buy a dirt jump hardtail instead of the 26" stays. :)

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
Bicyclist said:
Except for the fact it doesn't roll over stuff.

And yes I've ridden one, I owned one for a while.
i had mine for about 8months, with extensive riding in whistler(including garbonzo), and wasnt that big of a deal for me, i just hated having to carry two tubes with me at all times

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
haromtnbiker said:
I do race some, but not real seriously.

I think I will spend some money sometime soon and buy a dirt jump hardtail instead of the 26" stays. :)

good decision...i think small bikes help a lot for just learning how to manuever a bike around