Quantcast

26 West Update???

May 5, 2008
I was wondering if we could get an update on the park for next week. Trail descritions, features, anything would be awesome!!!!!Like everyone else some pictures would be great.

Nothing really has been said for a while so was wondering if everything is a go. 3 of us are coming up from G-Vegas for opening day so we would love an update prior to driving up for the day.

CLos

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Maybe old news but I found this on their website. (http://www.breakawaync.com/whatsnew.asp)

26 West Mountain Bike Park is gearing up to open May 30th. The park will be the only lisft-assisted mountain bike park in the Southeast. Located Breakaway Village, the park will bring another great activity to the area, and compliment the whitewater rafting, fly fishing, hiking, horseback riding and other activities already available at Breakaway. The park will be open Fridays 2 - 8 pm, Saturdays 10 am - 6 pm & Sundays 10 am to 4 pm. A one day ticket is $24, and season passes are $169.00.

If any body has any pics please post up!!

Feb 26, 2007
I just spoke with Ryan about the park, and he said everything is a go ! Their are only nine chairs that are going to be operating on the lift at a time, so all bikes will be loaded on a trailer to meet the riders at the top, but from what he told me it sounds like it will be a blast, and with some rain up their mid week trails should be good and tacky !

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
I just spoke with Ryan about the park, and he said everything is a go ! Their are only nine chairs that are going to be operating on the lift at a time, so all bikes will be loaded on a trailer to meet the riders at the top
What? 9 chairs running on the lift? Can someone better explain?

You mean they are only using 9 chairs to take rider's up? And taking the bikes on a trailer? Or there are only 9 chairs capable of taking bikes up? Cause that doesnt make sense how you said it, if that is the case then what 9 chairs of people go up and then you have to sit and wait for the 9 chairs to come back around? :crazy:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2007
sorry John...:poster_oops:
only riders will be on the chairlift...i think two per chair from what he said... 9 chairs total on the lift.

9 x 2 = 18 riders at a time going up.

all of the bikes will be shuttled to the top on a trailer, and our bikes will meet us at the top.

hopes that makes better since.

May 5, 2008
I kind of understand the shuttling thing...I am hoping that it won't turn out to be a waiting game at the top. Is there anyway that we could hold our bikes like Wintergreen used to do??? That seems to be to be faster. Just an idea.

Any trail info? Pics? Please? Freeride area, flowy jump trail, etc.......

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
sorry John...:poster_oops:
only riders will be on the chairlift...i think two per chair from what he said... 9 chairs total on the lift.

9 x 2 = 18 riders at a time going up.

all of the bikes will be shuttled to the top on a trailer, and our bikes will meet us at the top.

hopes that makes better since.
I hope this is some kinda of a joke. How can you debut a life assisted bike park with 9 lift chairs? I mean whats the point in running a lift if you can't run all the chairs possible. Also, can we shuttle instead of using the lift?

I hope this isn't indicative of how this place is going to be operated.:crazy:

Last edited:

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. WTF happened to the rest of the chairs, or why cant they use them to take rider's up? That still makes no sense?!?! I hope some one from their will explain this. Not a very good update.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. WTF happened to the rest of the chairs, or why cant they use them to take rider's up? That still makes no sense?!?! I hope some one from their will explain this. Not a very good update.
This update HAS to be a joke or a something....

Can someone please confirm this before I drive up for the opening.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
What? 9 chairs running on the lift? Can someone better explain?

You mean they are only using 9 chairs to take rider's up? And taking the bikes on a trailer? Or there are only 9 chairs capable of taking bikes up? Cause that doesnt make sense how you said it, if that is the case then what 9 chairs of people go up and then you have to sit and wait for the 9 chairs to come back around? :crazy:

Hhmmm...Johnboy bitching about a ski lift...not something I thought I'd ever hear. :happydance:

Ya'll need to man up and get over here this weekend. It's still lift-assisted riding - how bad could it really be?? It could be so much worse - at least you don't have both arms gimped out like me. :banghead:

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
how bad could it really be??
Well if there is a good turnout for the opening, and this is the case with the lift, I can imagine we'd be doing alot of standing around waiting instead of riding. I wont drive 3+ hours for that. Not to mention spending money on gas and the lift pass.....

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Well if there is a good turnout for the opening, and this is the case with the lift, I can imagine we'd be doing alot of standing around waiting instead of riding. I wont drive 3+ hours for that. Not to mention spending money on gas and the lift pass.....
Just imagine the reaction from riders who show up without prior knowledge of the lift operation.

I'm gonna have to pass until the shenanigans get sorted out.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just imagine the reaction from riders who show up without prior knowledge of the lift operation.

I'm gonna have to pass until the shenanigans get sorted out.
anybody care to ask ryan to give tell us what we would pay for if we show up this weekend?
# of trails?
elevation drop?
1 pic?
just begging for a reason to go.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
And Kenan It would not be an issue if they just ran the lifts and there wasnt always some kind of sh!tty surprise one week before a place is opening that they will not be running a lift (last year, not this year we had a blast at the Shoe), or they are only using 9 chairs to take rider's up! I think the SouthEast just gets the shaft as far as good lift assisted riding, ski resorts here are not as accepting to MTB riders as they are on the west coast. And who wants to stand in line and wait on these 9 chairs to come back around?! I hope that someone from 26 West will post here and let us know the real deal.

Last edited:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
And Kenan
I think the SouthEast just gets the shaft as far as good lift assisted riding, ski resorts here are not as accepting to MTB riders as they are on the west coast. And who wants to stand in line and wait on these 9 chairs to come back around?! I hope that someone from 26 West will post here and let us know the real deal.
well said

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I started salivating when I heard about this park, but it seems that since the initial news of the park opening there hasn't been much else in the way of news. No pics, no stats about any of the trails, no official word on the lifts, theres no way I'm going to drive 100+ miles to a park with gas at nearly 4 bucks a gallon without some more definitive information.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I just spoke with Ryan...sounds like he doesn't monitor RM as much as we do. I would expect an official word sometime relatively soon.

FYI - a lot of ski resorts take their chairs off in the summer for various reasons. Maybe they just didn't get them back on in time for opening weekend. I doubt that's his fault but hopefully he'll shed some light here shortly.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I don't think anyone is blaming Ryan for anything, that would be completely lame.

IMHO, if its legit than I'll be there plain and simple. A quick statement will be very appreciated.

Last edited:

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Not trying to place blame on anyone, just want to know if what Cameron said is true. And I dont know what monitoring RM has to do with posting some updates about a mountain bike park that is opening in less than a week! Like Matt said, for him it is over 100 miles drive to get there, as it would be for me, and there has not been one picture, one trail update, nothing at all to say "hey this place is gonna rock so come and ride". And I would like to know what Im paying for, atleast some idea. And believe me, if you tell others that they are running 9 chairs and thats it, I think you are gonna see a change in attendance. But if that is the case people should be informed so they can make their own decision, if it is worth it or not. Not come all the way there and stand in line for 75% of the day!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The last time I spoke to Ryan was over a month ago, but he had mentioned then that they were looking at a shuttle bus option like Snowshoe uses in order to make the runs longer for this year.
I think they are putting in a new lift for this winter/next biking season.
Anyway, as of 5 or 6 weeks ago, Ryan mentioned that they would probaly be using the shuttle bus option along with the lift.
Maybe he will clarify on this later on.

Feb 26, 2007
Johnboy: Not trying to place blame on anyone, just want to know if what Cameron said is true

I called the number to call about trail info etc.. a few pages back and it happened to be Ryans cell phone, not the breakaway village place like I expected. Unless I heard wrong somehow, I am sure he said nine chairs. Then he went on to explain with only nine chairs going up, they were using a shuttle for the bikes. No stab to anyone, but when he told me that I thought WOW ! if the turn out is big like i think it will be their will be alot of waiting, but it is also the first year of the park being opened so to me its pretty understandable. I feel like the bringer of bad news, but I just thought I would give an update of what I heard.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If I am not mistaken, aren't those 4 person chairs? If so, that is 36 peeps a cycle. Ryan did mention he was having to use a trailer to bus bikes as that would be the fastest. He knows 9 folks and 9 bikes a cycle would be disastrous. He mentioned that they are looking to replace/add some chairs with those 4 bike rack chairs like Whistler. But I don't know the schedule. He is getting a trailer and creating some kind of mounting system all this week.

All I can say is I am looking forward to this weekend. The rest of you whiny mouth fvckers need to shut up or show up. I am going to show up to show support to Ryan and Wolf/Break Away whomever.

It is so typical that the South whines about getting lift assisted trails, but you expect Whistler or Diablo out the gate.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
If I am not mistaken, aren't those 4 person chairs? If so, that is 36 peeps a cycle. Ryan did mention he was having to use a trailer to bus bikes as that would be the fastest. He knows 9 folks and 9 bikes a cycle would be disastrous. He mentioned that they are looking to replace/add some chairs with those 4 bike rack chairs like Whistler. But I don't know the schedule. He is getting a trailer and creating some kind of mounting system all this week.

All I can say is I am looking forward to this weekend. The rest of you whiny mouth fvckers need to shut up or show up. I am going to show up to show support to Ryan and Wolf/Break Away whomever.

It is so typical that the South whines about getting lift assisted trails, but you expect Whistler or Diablo out the gate.
First off, fvck you and your sh!t attitude. All we're doing is asking questions and hoping for a more accurate update. I had full intentions of going up there for the opening, but Im not going into it blind and not knowing anything. If they're gonna put 4 people on each chair, then great, we shouldnt have a problem. But like I said, all we're looking for is a more accurate update. So unless you can provide that, your sh!t attitude isnt needed.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
i'm going regardless. if we have to wait in line, or the trails are not dialed yet, just chalking it up to growing pains. not going up there expecting whistler. going there expecting shortcomings and i'm excited to have the opportunity to see what the future possibly holds.

May 5, 2008
ProFro I think your comments are a little off or you misunderstand what is being asked.

Isn't reasonable to assume that if you are starting a lift assisted park that it will involve a lift? Also, don't you think it is a little more open to disclose the shuttling part of the arrangement in the announcement so people are aware?

Gas money is a valid concern. Some of the people that you call whiners didn't say they aren't coming; they just want to make the most use of their money.

And seriously, you post an announcement on all the mtb websites and then give no updates??? Is that a way to get business??? You make glowing statements about flowy jump lines, freeride areas, 7 trails, road gaps, drops and give no pictures???

I am coming from G'ville to support this because I want something like this work not only this Saturday but in the future. I know for sure that it won't be perfect because it is brand new. But it should at the very least live up to what has already been published. Or, the descriptions and information should have been more upfront and accurate. The trip should also be worth the money and time investment.

Just my thoughts. I started this thread hoping to get info to make the anticipation of this weekend better. It looks like I started yet another thread of flaming....sheessh.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
If

Awesome! Never been called a "mouth fuvker" before for trying to get some information. Top notch!

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Really Doug, did you think getting on here and running your mouth was gonna do any good? There were no negative posts, until you get on here and start calling people "whiny mouth fvckers". I really dont think that anyone is asking too much by wanting some kind of update on this. Like I said earlier people should be informed so that they can make their own choice as far as it being worth the $$ and time to come out there.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Maybe with 4 person chairs it can be JonBoy, Doug(Profro), JeffKill, and maybe Bizutch for the first ride up? That would almost be worth the ride up from Charlotte alone.

Seriously though a little information would go a long way here. I got shotgun in Vinny's truck btw..

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Ryan called me last night to ask if I can help clarify things. He's been working up there non-stop pulling 12 hour days, alot with bobcat's, etc and he said he has seven trails ready to go for this weekend. They are moving the main offices and are waiting on the re-wiring of the offices, so he can't go doing internet. He's not an e-nerd either so he asked me if I or someone else can come up today or tomorrow and snap pics and post them.

The situation with the lift is this. They did their research with Dopplemeyer about bike hooks and it would cut down alot on how many riders they can uplift + their bikes using their basic offering. As Doug said they want to switch to dedicated bike carriers, a la Whistler. As is, those are 4 man chairs. That means 36 riders on the lift and their bikes meeting them up top. Last time I checked that was about as many riders as the magic bus at Snowshoe. We're talking opening weekend of a new park. Lines aren't gonna be an issue, I would guess, since it's our first ever.

Parking & Passes:
Go to Breakaway Village to purchase your pass. You can't park up top at the lodge unless Breakaway fills up. If you do park up top, you have to ride the lift down, get your pass, ride it back up and get your bike.

Trails:
7 trails w/ more to come. He said he's got 3 skill levels exiting the tunnel up top Novice/Intermediate/Advanced and you can choose which route there, then as trails cross you can mix them up as you go. He said he's got 1, technically 2 Dominion style runs and lots of other stuff to suit all riding styles. He even has a few hardtail rentals for rent in the village. One trail is a Super D trail that has a climb in it to get to another section of trail, so don't be surprised by it. Long term plans will expand that run to what he guessed would be 12 minutes.

Long term:
He'll be able to use the lower half of the mountain all the way to the main road for next season, but he needs your support to make it happen. He said there are plenty of trails and riding to make it worth the trip.

I suggest supporting him if you want a place to ride....just a thought.

For any and all questions, feel free to call him at 828-553-5856. He's on the mountain ALL DAY, so you may have to leave a message. He reiterated that if you want a park pass for volunteering, to call him and come up!!! :thumb: