Quantcast

26 x 2.6

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Let's just say Heisenburg has no uncertainty about your momentum.

Ammirite?
Because his wave state is totally indeterminate? I don't get what this has to do with your mom...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Once the rain starts to spit again?

Or harvest time?

We in the middle of the cherry and apricot harvest. If you want to see the flowers... now's a good time. We start chopping in a week. But seriously, the trails are great right now, overgrown with cheat and dried out... It didn't even hit triple digits today. You probably have your Stevens Pass pass and won't come down off hwy 2 till the snow eh?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We in the middle of the cherry and apricot harvest. If you want to see the flowers... now's a good time. We start chopping in a week. But seriously, the trails are great right now, overgrown with cheat and dried out... It didn't even hit triple digits today. You probably have your Stevens Pass pass and won't come down off hwy 2 till the snow eh?
I'm a weirdo. Despite being fat and old I still like to pedal for my reward. I usually hit Tiger for convenience but prefer to head out to the mountains for old school natural trail instead of engineered mini-golf lines. Did Mission Ridge last weekend and got cock-blocked at Kachess by snow yesterday.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Hot damn, I figured you for a knee padder lifty kinda guy. I hope you tried Kachess as an out-n-back. Cause that's a shit road climb to descend. Here in Yaks, as far as foothill trails, I've got a playground I built, it's a 9 mile loop, climbs around 1k vertical plus some lil loops that add about 5 miles of smile inducing.

I'll be looking for dirt on the west side on July 8th. Was thinking of riding Capitol Forest or exploring the Growler Trails west of Castle Rock.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
2.5 Minnions or Shorties on 30mm rims are much more predictable in corners than the 2.6 Magic Mary on a 30mm rim. The Magic Mary almost needs a 35mm rim.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks. I have 30mm ID carbonz rims with 2.3/2.35 tires. They work great. I can run pretty low tires pressures without burping or pinch flatting. But I don't. I prefer higher air pressures so that my tires don't feel weird in corners. Is that illegal now? I'd stick with 2.4 on my next set of tires.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah, my thought is to move to 30mm ID with the next set of wheels and keep on with the 2.4s. Can't imagine running less pressure though. If 22 psi works for everything but pushing through berms, it doesn't work for me.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Didn't we (Downhillers) do 29/30mm internal width rims and 2.6/2.7" tyres like 15 years ago?
Why is it such a big deal now?

Ooohhhh... they changed the name for XC riding again a few years ago didn't they?

Where's the Vallnord thread?

@jackalope please save us from this shit!

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
it's a "big deal" now because those same sized rims are 300g lighter, and 2.6 tires don't weight 1600g
Oh... I see you like WEAKNESS in your gnur. [/willywonka.jpg]

Good luck with that.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i don't know that the contact patch is the problem, in fact most people would probably be happy with it. the problem is that lightweight tire nets you shitty sidewalls which don't hold up to aggressive riding. So you still can't have it all, but you can get decently lightweight, stronk 2.4s, and I think kidwoo mentioned that the new specialized 2.6s in GRID casing were also stronk, but that's more volume than i need.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i don't know that the contact patch is the problem, in fact most people would probably be happy with it. the problem is that lightweight tire nets you shitty sidewalls which don't hold up to aggressive riding. So you still can't have it all, but you can get decently lightweight, stronk 2.4s, and I think kidwoo mentioned that the new specialized 2.6s in GRID casing were also stronk, but that's more volume than i need.
for what and how i ride, 2.4 seems to be the sweet spot. i can get away with a teensy bit smaller of a rear tire.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
in my world, when death comes knocking, he's carrying one last burrito platter and a cold IPA.
The reality is death will not come knocking. He will stalk you, slowly taking away your ability to enjoy anything and the only joy that burrito will bring you is the hope that it will become lodged in your trachea and quickly brings an end to your suffering.

With luck perhaps massive crop failure or war will give you the will to live and fight through the misery and suffering so you can give that burrito to a starving loved one.

Also, huge tires to make a hardtail ride like you want is kind of silly, at that point a FS bike is going to be faster and more fun as long as funds are available to obtain one.