Quantcast

270 berm thread.... post up

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
what works, what doesn't.... ribbon to launch style...or skatepark bowl style... constant radius, or tightening, etc. ?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
this is ours. old shots. 1 when it was new and 1 getting re-done. currently its pretty shot due to the weather but should be sweet again come spring.

xdark_leox

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
Pretty much any type is good, but I do enjoy Bowls a little more. Just made a new snake line at our trails.:cheers:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
what would you estimate the radius to be in that last picture? 8 ft. ?

i am thinking that radius of the circle is extremely important.... it has to match up with how much speed you have.....too big a radius will be the ultimate speed-killer, too small will be unrideable....

we already have a section with two 10/11 ft gap jumps going into a 180 berm. the 180 berm has about an 11 or 12 ft. radius. seems to work pretty well. the berm is a little sluggish you have to really compress into it to make it work. definitely not a "whip" out feeling. i'm thinking 8 ft radius is ideal for a combination of rideability and pump--kinda relates back to the 8 X 8 X 8 quarterpipes of the 80's. a true bowl corner berm should ride like a sideways quarter....

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
good point about the radius vs speed, not all builders seem to think about this.
too often I've ridden berms (not only 270, just any) of which the geometry doesn't sort of match the speed, worst sort being those that are actually too tight and too low at the same time: before you know it your front or back wheel goes over the edge and that's baaaaad

Dirty Maestro

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Yea, especially if your building for 20's, 24's, and 26's. The radius needs to be just right so everyone can get good pump/speed out.

Hopefully we can get our 270 redone by the spring. So much to do...

=)

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
RaysMTB is expanding and will be opening a DJ park this spring. Yes DIRT JUMPS!!!! With a 270 berm too.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Is this word of mouth info, or is there an announcement or info somewhere?
The words came out of ray's mouth and into my ears. The begginer jumps are done...

I am not sure if there is an official announcement. But it is true and they are shooting to be fully ready by labor day.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
after building experience with several 180 berms.... i have learned that your radius does need to be bigger than with a 90. so, while an 8 foot radius is reasonable for a 90 degree berm, an 8' radius 180 berm gives you too many G's when you're 2/3 around it.

so... with 270 berm... seems like in order to ride it with the speed you'd get jumping into it (in the pic below), seems like you would need at least a 10ft, maybe 12,13 or 14 foot radius.......

...what do yall think?

demo9, have you ridden the 270 berm below? does it feel super-tight when you jump into it. is it controllable where you get a good whip around the berm?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
CMC that isnt mine, just a picture i found. i wish it was though, never ridden a 270 berm, but i do think it should get progressively tighter