Quantcast

29" DH bikes

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
So is it really that hard to add another hole in the rear stay that is 15mm lower and 15mm further back.Then I can choose 29' or 650b......

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Obviously what this calls for is a new industry standard for telescoping chainstays.
Not new. Nearly every Norco from 2001 - 2004 had length adjusting chainstays. Although would be nice if the adjustment wasn't mid-ride and spontaneous.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
So, I did my 29er test ride last week... I have been racing these week night XC races with my kid as something to do. I have been doing them on my 26" Chromag. Just out of curiosity I borrowed a buddy's 29 Chromag. I dropped nearly 2 minutes off my lap times (15->13mins). But more frustrating was how easily I did so.

Its an interesting situation, it was clearly faster, but not clearly funner. I could see how the 27.5" was born though. On one had the 26" is so playful and fun. On the other, the 29er is so fast and stable. It must be logical that 27.5" would be the best of both... right? I don't think so, but I gave the 29er back and have gone back to my 26". Its clearly more fun, but in the back of my mind I'm pissed at how much harder I have to work to hang with the 29ers. In motor sports we have multiple displacement classes because it makes sense. I think it would make sense here. I would love to race my 26" against 26". Well at least in XC, not sure how all this places out in DH.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In motor sports we have multiple displacement classes because it makes sense. I think it would make sense here. I would love to race my 26" against 26".
I would love to race against people equally fat as me. No more, no less.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Riding Buddy of mine would always clean up in the Clydesdale category. he is 6'6", 230lbs, former Div 1 BB player.

It wasn't much of a challenge for him to beat up on the fatties, it was a challenge not to fold his frame in half.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
can i get a 40+ dad bod (yea i said it) october - may weekend warrior category please?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
TL;DR version - changing wheelsizes from one race to the next to keep up with the Joneses doesn't work
The TL;DR I got was more like "we changed back for now, but it'll definitely be a thing next year". All the little blurbs seemed to end with that. Just me?

I hope it doesn't eventuate personally, but I'd also prefer to be realistic and avoid any instantly-obsolete new purchases. I really wish the UCI would rule 650b-only, just because this is becoming a huge mess for everyone and the only real benefit is profit for manufacturers.

It would be okay if the two could coexist, but DH is a small segment, can't see it happening.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Nah change to a rule out saying "Pick a wheelsize and stick with it the whole season"
Or just pick a wheel size and be a dick about it I guess, because those tall guys don't deserve a bike that works for them...... FREAKS!!!!!

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The TL;DR I got was more like "we changed back for now, but it'll definitely be a thing next year". All the little blurbs seemed to end with that. Just me?
Yeah that is it for sure. My point is that the change is big enough that riders need more time to adjust to the bikes and the bike designs need to be modified to suit the wheels. It's not a case of chucking in a bigger wheel just because Team A is doing it now and hoping to get the same results.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Or just pick a wheel size and be a dick about it I guess, because those tall guys don't deserve a bike that works for them...... FREAKS!!!!!
Like I said, DH isn't a big enough segment to carry 3 wheel sizes as options and it's hard to make a one-frame-fits-all solution. So in the end someone is going to be disadvantaged, and at least 27.5 is in the middle. There are women and children who ride too...

Can only watch and see how it plays out I guess.

Yeah that is it for sure. My point is that the change is big enough that riders need more time to adjust to the bikes and the bike designs need to be modified to suit the wheels. It's not a case of chucking in a bigger wheel just because Team A is doing it now and hoping to get the same results.
Yeah for sure. Funny thing is the times don't even seem to be that much faster so it's just going to be a huge mess for average joe or anyone getting into the sport for little tangible benefit.