Quantcast

29er or road?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
No kidding.

I think when I get back from the gigs at the end of the month I'm going to scrape as much as I can together and go slightly better than the Monocog. Maybe the Flight version or some other 29er w/ discs, etc.

I'm also going to talk to some people in the east bay, I still have some contacts at shops I worked at. The shops around here are...weird.

Makes sense.

I briefly owned a Flight - nice bike!

Don't forget to look into an On One Inbred though if you are considering a Flight. Just my two cents.

Feel free to PM me when you are ready to go shopping.

And keep your eyes open on the SF craigslist - that's a mecca for deals if you are smart and careful about it. Makes the bikes section of C-list for various parts of CT look unbelievably pathetic.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well yr original post was a 6K hardtail...remember that exo-grid ti-carbon nonsense, w/ all the bling parts? maverick fork, i9 wheels, blah blah blah? it had to be over 5K at least.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Buy a Monocog and be done with it. Stop the indecis-a-thon and man the fvck up already.

You're getting to be worse than lowko

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Wait...wtf?

Are you saying he spent $6k on a single speed bike??

How is that even possible?

I don't know how much he spent on it, but it's about the most bad-ass single speed I've ever seen. Not exactly a low buck commuter...

Post a pic of it n8, or a link to a pic of it. I wouldn't mind seeing it again...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I don't know how much he spent on it, but it's about the most bad-ass single speed I've ever seen. Not exactly a low buck commuter...

Post a pic of it n8, or a link to a pic of it. I wouldn't mind seeing it again...

SS was justa tad over half of $6k

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SS was justa tad over half of $6k
not the retarded one gear, i was talking about the hardtail. or did you get a FS? i can't recall.

glad i'm using my scant brain resources for other, more pressing details. like remembering that my 2nd grade teacher was named Mrs Rome.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Buy a Monocog and be done with it. Stop the indecis-a-thon and man the fvck up already.

You're getting to be worse than lowko
It will most likely be the Monocog.

I resent the loco comment. Even from you.

For now I'm going to man up and order the double version of this piece of swankness:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
It will most likely be the Monocog.
Unless things have changed with Redline, be prepared to replace the headset, bottom bracket and maybe the brakes. A number of people, including myself and Douglas, had problems with those parts.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Unless things have changed with Redline, be prepared to replace the headset, bottom bracket and maybe the brakes. A number of people, including myself and Douglas, had problems with those parts.
Or at a minimum ask your shop to face and chase the Head tube and bb area - they come with paint on them that screws up how the headset and bb install.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Or at a minimum ask your shop to face and chase the Head tube and bb area - they come with paint on them that screws up how the headset and bb install.
Yup.

Every frame I've ever had gets faced, chased and honed.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
:blah:

..so....

is it bike yet?

:think:
Waiting till I get back from NY next week. Too effin busy to bike shop.

Monocogs are virtually impossible to order online. I need to find one solid weekend to get out of the wine country and go to the dealers in SF or the east bay.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Waiting till I get back from NY next week. Too effin busy to bike shop.

Monocogs are virtually impossible to order online. I need to find one solid weekend to get out of the wine country and go to the dealers in SF or the east bay.
forget east Bay and use eBay for chrisakes!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Down to:

Monocog 29er, if I can find a dealer in the north or east bay that will order one at or below list price. One shop quoted me $575 plus shipping.

Or:

Marin Muirwoods 29er. Pretty much the most commute-ready bike I could ask for. Even has rack and fender eyelets.
http://www.marinbikes.com/2008/us/bikes/specs_muirwoods_29er.php

Or:

Bianchi San Jose - Took a larger one for a test ride. (I think it was a 58cm) I like it. I think I'd like the 61cm even better.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Down to:

Monocog 29er, if I can find a dealer in the north or east bay that will order one at or below list price. One shop quoted me $575 plus shipping.

Or:

Marin Muirwoods 29er. Pretty much the most commute-ready bike I could ask for. Even has rack and fender eyelets.
http://www.marinbikes.com/2008/us/bikes/specs_muirwoods_29er.php

Or:

Bianchi San Jose - Took a larger one for a test ride. (I think it was a 58cm) I like it. I think I'd like the 61cm even better.
:insert stinkyboy's No Stars smiley: