Quantcast

2nd Annual Beacon Blowout Dh Race

Jan 27, 2007
L-Town
So did anyone else get screwed on there second run time???? My first run was a 1:56, and my second was a 2:58. Huh?, I don't think so. they added a full minute to my run. They did the same screw up with the times last year, and it really makes me not want to go to that race again. Over the last 3 years of racing, the beacon race was the only one where the times got all screwed up, and they did it 2 years in a row. I loved the race course and I love beacon, but I fell I wasted 30 bucks on there shotty technology. Next time I will just go up there to ride. Hopefully Wheel Sport or some other shop can keep this race alive, because BICYCLE BUTLER, or at least there equipment, really ruined this event for me. Two years, two screw-ups. . . :plthumbsdown:

Other than the messed up times, what a great weekend, the trail was AWESOME. Good Times :monkeydance:

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
first off thanks to biccyle butler and eric at milliseconds for puttin the race on, it was cool and different swithcin the course up a little this year

^^yea my times were 211 and 213, they were right, i fell in each run in the SAME god damn spot. fuyck that sh!t i timed a 158 in practice on my computer, and was stoked, to have my only two falls out there on my race runs

and racing with a front brake only sucks assss too
but i still had fun

mad props to the guy who rode down the last two rock faces on his rim! his trie was completely off the rim. talk about pinnin it.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
the race was sic, thanks to all of the guys who help make it happen. I really think that the timing crew should go down to the hood races and see how its done. mad props to the rider eren mentioned, all the peeps who came out to watch, Rob at spoke'n'sport for hooking it up, jerry for playing with my wheel, and tristans friend for lending me a bike. oh, and brad and the whole crew at spectrum.

anybody else going to be going to the mt spokane race? whats that course like?

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
What a weekend.

First I kill the 40 then my hand :(. Didn't even get to race.

I would like to give a big thanks though to the Wheel Sport East guys for hooking me up! And Fluidride you guys were a big help this weekend. Back to mah pain killers. They make you so happy.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
THANK YOU to everyone who turned out for the race! The weekend was a blast; glad most of you liked the course. Heard some grumbling about adding the Kokanee drop into the race line, but, hey, we like to change it up and throw in a wrinkle or two to keep it interesting. I actually have Mick at Spoke 'n Sport to thank for giving me that idea.

I'm so sorry about the timing problems. I'm not going to make any excuses and I'm not going to comment as it's not my place to. I just hope that the fun everyone had outweighed the negatives.

Props especially to Kyle for showing me the way down the Seattle Line - - don't think I'd have had the guts to do it without your tips and encouragement. Just wish I could have finished strong my last run and made you proud in front of all the spectators down there; but my last run was such a train wreck . . . ah well. Next year!

Hope Kyle and everyone who crashed out heal quickly and we'll see you at the next venue. Thanks again to all for the great turnout!

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Yes, timing issues definitely do happen!

Thank you so much to everyone who came a raced at Beacon, and to everyone else who came to watch, or drink beer, or whatever.

I apologize from the bottom of my heart for the timing issues. It's downright embarrassing, and there is nothing more I can really say. I just need to make everyone fully aware, that the timing issues have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the Bicycle Butler. While I had many other responsibilities with putting on this race, my main one was as the timing crew with Milliseconds Sports Timing. It may be hard for some to believe, but we are a competent timing company that times a hundred or so races of all types every year. We have a sophisticated timing system, that, after the last 2 years I have decided is too sophisticated for the way we run the race at Beacon. Yes, I could go down to Hood and see how it's done, and I would probably find a system that is in place all the time and hard wired top to bottom. That makes things really easy.

I don't want to make excuses, I just want everybody to know that the timing screw up rests solely on the shoulders of Milliseconds, and not at all on the Bicycle Butler.

I, along with Doug, hope that you had enough fun to outweigh the negative, because that is my main reason for putting on any race. To me, everything else is secondary to fun and I hope you all had some. Thanks again for coming and have a great summer!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Whats the next venue? Someone posted something about Mt. Spokane earlier (or in a different thread). You guys going to put together an east-side series now????
Next venue for most of us here will be Silver Mtn. Wish it was in a couple weeks instead of next wknd though. I'm wiped.

I heard rumblings yesterday about a Bear Creek race (Super-D?) on Mt. Spokane. Not sure who's hosting - -maybe Bear Creek Lodge? Hope we get more details soon. Could be a real kick.

bibs said:
...but I though it was always warm in Spokane!
Usually it waits until the day school lets out for the summer to show off the Puget Sound-like weather here ;)

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Yes, timing issues definitely do happen!

Thank you so much to everyone who came a raced at Beacon, and to everyone else who came to watch, or drink beer, or whatever.

I apologize from the bottom of my heart for the timing issues. It's downright embarrassing, and there is nothing more I can really say. I just need to make everyone fully aware, that the timing issues have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the Bicycle Butler. While I had many other responsibilities with putting on this race, my main one was as the timing crew with Milliseconds Sports Timing. It may be hard for some to believe, but we are a competent timing company that times a hundred or so races of all types every year. We have a sophisticated timing system, that, after the last 2 years I have decided is too sophisticated for the way we run the race at Beacon. Yes, I could go down to Hood and see how it's done, and I would probably find a system that is in place all the time and hard wired top to bottom. That makes things really easy.

I don't want to make excuses, I just want everybody to know that the timing screw up rests solely on the shoulders of Milliseconds, and not at all on the Bicycle Butler.

I, along with Doug, hope that you had enough fun to outweigh the negative, because that is my main reason for putting on any race. To me, everything else is secondary to fun and I hope you all had some. Thanks again for coming and have a great summer!

MT Hood doesn't Hard wire. I do think there system takes more man power. 2 timers at the top and 4 at the bottom.

I never got to race, I was told a different start time. I was told 11am, when I got there at 10:15am I found out I had to be dressed and at the top by 10:34am. I asked since I wouldn't be able to make it up in time could I run with a different class for the 1st run and then run with my class for the 2nd run, I was turned down. So I watched a few racers and then headed out. Glad I was there for more then just the race, as we where camping at Riverside till today anyways.

Jan 27, 2007
L-Town
The timing thing screwed me, but the race was a blast, didnt have any injuries/bike problems, so I cant complain. Great event, but hopefully you can get the bugs worked out. Thanks for everyone who had a part in putting on this race. :monkeydance:

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
MINOR.......... Next year can we have something posted for when the race STARTS. The flyer didn't have it and I never saw it anywhere. I asked someone up at registration, must not have been an official person, becuse I was told 11am. So when I showed up at 10:15 to get ready, I found out I was supposed to go down at 10:34. So I never had time to get ready and get up for my start. Also, I was told I couldn't run with a different class and then with my class for my 2nd run. Gas from Tacoma to Spokane and back $150. Regestration $28. Not getting to race a race you paid for......Priceless. (Think I'll stick to Mt Hood and Willamette Pass).

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I have an idea for timing..... duct tape a stop watch on the riders helmet...when he starts, someone push the button... and when he finishes, he throws it to someone to stop it.....LOL. We could also have the riders count Mississippis down..... 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississ...ROCK...OUCH!!!!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
MINOR.......... Next year can we have something posted for when the race STARTS. The flyer didn't have it and I never saw it anywhere . . . .
I thought, "Yes I did..." and then I looked back at flyer, poster etc. and - - crap - - no I didn't. My profuse apologies to everyone for not having the start time on the flyer and poster. I'm altering my InDesign files right now so that I do not compound the error next year. Start time was posted on the Active.com registration page.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I thought, "Yes I did..." and then I looked back at flyer, poster etc. and - - crap - - no I didn't. My profuse apologies to everyone for not having the start time on the flyer and poster. I'm altering my InDesign files right now so that I do not compound the error next year. Start time was posted on the Active.com registration page.
LOL....I registered like 2 months ago and forgot all about that page, but seeing how I was camping in the woods, I didn;t have great internet connection. I need to train the squierrls better so I don;t get so much LAG.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
MT Hood doesn't Hard wire. I do think there system takes more man power. 2 timers at the top and 4 at the bottom.

Ditto. Mt Hood isn't hardwired. The season opener isn't even at Ski Bowl, and the second race of the season is usually multiple runs on the lower half of mountain because of snow pack on the upper bowl. The first race of the season saw 130 racers, and they kept time with synced stop watches, first run times were ready before our second runs.

The system they have in place is usually one timer at the top, one person calling out numbers and lining people up. There are two people at the bottom. One recording numbers, one crunching numbers and running times to the bulletin board. There are always first run times up before we go up for second runs.

They have there *hit together. Granted, they have had the same 4 volunteers running the race for years so they have a lot of practice. I have never seen a significant timing error at Mt. Hood since I started racing up there in 1998.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
The system they have in place is usually one timer at the top, one person calling out numbers and lining people up. There are two people at the bottom. One recording numbers, one crunching numbers and running times to the bulletin board. There are always first run times up before we go up for second runs.

They have there *hit together. Granted, they have had the same 4 volunteers running the race for years so they have a lot of practice. I have never seen a significant timing error at Mt. Hood since I started racing up there in 1998.
For sure. They have had the same whip and starter for ever. It's very cool, because if you miss your race run they'll fit you in between classes. Very laxed, but professional at the same time.

Crap, this is Amy.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Here's the funny thing. The system (hardware/software) I use just seems to be too picky for a double run DH with combined times. It might seem easy, but spend a day in my shoes with my system and you will know what i mean.

On the other hand, I can time triathlons with our system, getting all the splits and everything, and do it blindfolded....and have no problems. And I make more than double the money for a Tri than I do from cycling events such as the Beacon Race.

So it's pretty clear to me that I should probably stick with what I am good at, spare myself the embarrassment, and make more money!

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
Eric, if it wasn't for you we would not even have a race. Dont give up on us. Next time test the system prior to the race day. Once you get it figured out, it should be dead nuts on.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I agree, Don't give up yet. To bad we can't squeeze another race in this year, or can we? Can't you just have each run seperate and then add them later? Or best of 2 runs?
About the "If you miss your run thing" I agree that one could be thrwon in somewhere, even if the racer had to be "penalized" and what for EVERYONE else to go....Then they could go.

DON'T GIVE UP.

pink46

Chimp
May 28, 2006
spokane
I agree, you should not give up just yet. Without a timing system there would have been no race in the first place. They can complain all they want but in all reality they were out having a great time because you decided to step up and provide the timing for the race. The money in the pro class got where it needed to be in the end. People should look past the timing issues and realize how much fun they had and that they are lucky that people stepped up and provided the opportunity to have a race in the first place

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I will personally hand you money if you do another race this year that I CAN go to.

its so hard for me to find races I can go to when I dont have a license.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Are we back on the timing issue again? I was told my wrong start time (by an hour), didn't ge to race, and STILL would LOVE to do another race there THIS YEAR!!!.I'm in agreement with everone, put on the race again. With practice will come experience. You put on one hell of a good race, I mean the course was jaw dropping. Just think how AWESOME you will be when the timing issues get worked out. Let me say again.....ANOTHER RACE THIS YEAR!!!!!!! Thanks