Quantcast

2nd road ride....ever

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
So a while ago I decided that I was going to do a triathalon (nothing big, 750m in water, 20k on a bike, and 5k running) so I was riding my xc rig to get into shape for the biking. And I am currently borrowing a friend's road bike (which is quite nice) and I took my first ever road ride yesterday and it wasn't as boring as I expected it to be. Then today I went out on an 18mil. ride out a local highway which within a few miles of my house turns into a ton of switchbacks up a mountain for a few miles, and that was ok. But on my way back home, coming down the switchbacks is where the fun ensued.:agree: The first few switchbacks there was no one behind me so I was being cautious and using my part of the road. Then a truck came up behind me and it wouldn't pass me. I really don't think that I was going that fast, but anyway it kept a good distance behind me and stayed there. So I proceeded to use my whole side of the road.:monkey: That was so fun, I felt like the motorcycle racers leaning into the turns.

I know this is completely pointless, I just felt like sharing.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Decending down a windy road on a road bike is the best. If you go balls out you can beat most cars out there.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
chicodude said:
Decending down a windy road on a road bike is the best. If you go balls out you can beat most cars out there.
I second that. My favorite is when a minivan is trying to stay in front of me, and they're squealing tires around the corners.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I used to dread climbs until I realized that they usually led to some seriously sweet descents. I have no shortage of either in my neck of the woods. Life is good!:D

It's good to hear the driver of the truck sat back - that partially restores my faith in mankind. God only knows there aren't enough drivers like that in the world today.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
DBR X6 RIDER said:
I used to dread climbs until I realized that they usually led to some seriously sweet descents. I have no shortage of either in my neck of the woods. Life is good!:D

It's good to hear the driver of the truck sat back - that partially restores my faith in mankind. God only knows there aren't enough drivers like that in the world today.
I think a lot of times they totally realize that they can't pass you in the switchbacks. However, I guess that doesn't deter some of the bigger red-necks/jerk-offs to give it a try anyway.
On the other hand, I've passed Caddies, trucks, and other cars coming down off of Lookout Mountain. Sit quietly behind them in the turns and sprint pass them when you can see a couple of turns ahead. It spooks the hell out of them :D. The only ppl that I don't even try to pass are moto-cyclists. As a car, you "can" go fast down Lookout. But the penalty clause is HUGE if you let the car get out of control on that road, as I'm sure most twisty mountain roads. Plus, I'd bet it's pretty entertaining to see someone go that fast on the skinnies in the turns...:agree:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
chicodude said:
Ditto that. Few things are as intoxicating as dropping into a turn at 40+ mph on a freshly paved road...

:evil: