Quantcast

3/1/2010 Dig season starts. . .

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
so quit yer bitchen about silly bikes and start stackin dirt! ;)

I am still under a foot of snow in spots but I have to get at it. Burn off some cabin fever and get some work out of the way to be ready for may.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Cleared the snow off a couple lines today. Tomorrow start working on drainage for deeper bowls :thumb:

Felt good to be workin on trails. . .

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
Snows almost gone in Jerz, the last I looked - place didnt hold up to well. looking forward to this years battle. Gotta love it.:boss:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Snows almost gone in Jerz, the last I looked - place didnt hold up to well. looking forward to this years battle. Gotta love it.:boss:
Stopped by a spot yesterday and it's holding up ok. I did get a week or 2 in Jan were I could stack and shape but then the snow came. Battle is right. Can't wait tho - need to get stuff up a foot or 2.

MIDigger

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
What do you guys do when you can't move the lips and landers further apart because of limited space for the line? My current bigger line is pretty tight and super flowy but all three jumps need about 2ft more gap and I just dont have the ability to make the line longer (runs into neighbors property). I also cannot imagine completely changing the line as i am a solo digger.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
What do you guys do when you can't move the lips and landers further apart because of limited space for the line? My current bigger line is pretty tight and super flowy but all three jumps need about 2ft more gap and I just dont have the ability to make the line longer (runs into neighbors property). I also cannot imagine completely changing the line as i am a solo digger.
you could go up with the jump. think spine-like. lip and landing both taller/steeper.

MIDigger

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Yea I've done some of that but the line is so tight that I can't really add any more thickness onto the landers before the line becomes non-flowy. I'm content with how well it rides currently but would love it if they were bigger.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
This might not make sense but make a hip landing on the right side of the fist jump and make a left hand banked roller next to the second jump and then a hip back int to the third lander so basically you have the straight set of 3 the way it is but with two big hips separated by a roller next to it. Think, up down, left right not just longer.

Have fun

MIDigger

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
This might not make sense but make a hip landing on the right side of the fist jump and make a left hand banked roller next to the second jump and then a hip back int to the third lander so basically you have the straight set of 3 the way it is but with two big hips separated by a roller next to it. Think, up down, left right not just longer.

Have fun
I've kinda done that but am limited because the trails are thru a semi-set of planted pine tree rows. Here is the setup i'm working with.. (first couple are outdated):

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
We are working on a small/tight pump track. It's a hard area to get good pics of but here are a few angles of the same section.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
Our Jerz stuff is finally almost thawed. Some snow left, lots of grease in the pits, but very promising. Heres what day one looked like, then I returned 2day and slapped up a 6' lip w/ a short gap into an existing lander. On my first run of 2010 I cleaned the line until the last big set, I forgot to pack it the day b4 and all my speed was scrubbed off on the take off, i bailed the bike but landed on it. Im out :( - Hope to be back riding soon, but walking is gonna be my 1st priority. Good luck to everyone else.

Attachments

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Great weekend for digging in PA. 50's and sun, the snow is almost gone and the dirt is real soft for easy dig and stack. Bbq was smokin for the first time this year, man I miss the ruckus burgers ;)

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
pnj - love the tight looking layout there You guys in the PNW have beautiful woods too - I also dig seeing the ferns and big trees in the background.

flattyres - bummed about the bail. I saw some tread marks when I stopped by later in the day and was wondering if someone was getting thru. New stuff looks sweeet in person. It will seperate the riders from the kooks.

TTonta - what do ya have planned for this year? Any expansion or just some tweaks to the current stuff? Once we get our spots going - you'll have to take a trip out to Jerz.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
TTonta - what do ya have planned for this year? Any expansion or just some tweaks to the current stuff? Once we get our spots going - you'll have to take a trip out to Jerz.
Same general layout. Deeper bowls on everything heading over to the concrete 180 plus some more transfers. Concrete the bowl on the side you guys were shredding. Set up a log ride with a rail on the side for feeble grinds and whatnot. If I have the energy and time dig out a big bowl/pump track kind of thing that will probably get concreted over time.

Plus I am still trying to decide just how realistic the concrete loop/sphere thingy will be. . . .

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Ive been working on a slopestyle-type line at my local spot with lots of switchbacking jumps down a hill. $hits gonna be raw.. Im super excited.

MIDigger

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
dude, you have tons of room, i'm not sure what you are complaining about. our jumps are over twice that tall with half as much room between them and they are flowy as sh!t. seems like your solution is an easy one...
:) So you're saying they need to be much taller and steeper. What are the gap sizes of your jumps? That's the biggest issue is the gaps need to be much longer on mine. Guess I just gotta quit my bitchin and do work this spring :weee: Do you have any pics of your trails for reference? :)

our gaps vary from about 22 feet to 17 feet. our place started as a small six pack that gradually got bigger and bigger, so we had nowhere to go but up unless we wanted to just tear down the whole line and start over. a lip that shoots you up, will take care of the gap distance issue...
i'll look around for some pix, i know there are a bazillion of them all over the intrawebz..

MIDigger

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
I think i'm ultimately faced with a total rebuild of the line. The gaps just aren't big enough. That line was my first ever that I dug myself, so while its fun and flowy, it just leaves something to be desired now. Looking forward to seeing your pics!