Quantcast

3/4/5 inch bike

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
like the title says, im looking for a 3, 4 , or 5 inch bike, mainly for freeride/dj/4x and a little whistler riding. i dont really want anything over 5 inches because i have my sunday for the rougher stuff, anyways theres so many choices out there, what do you all suggest? i want to keep it around 2G's and yea im willin to look at used.

Eren

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
nemesis project double agent. avilable with 4 or 5 inches of travel. proven ventana quad bearing rear end with plaitnum ox tubing. 2200 gets it in any color you want, custom geometry, and a cane creek double barrel. for a few hundo less you can get a roco air, dhx air, dhx, manitou, etc etc etc. rides faster than a cheetah on cocaine

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Yeti ASX!!!! I'm ordering one tommorow... Good pedaling from what I hear, and can still handle the really rough stuff

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
I really liked the asx that i rode to. But probably more bike than you wanted since you listed 3,4,5 inch bikes. How about a new 6 point (still more travel sorry) just a suggestion.

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
2 g's for anytype of nicer end bike is tough, blurs frames are atleast that, the nemesis double agent kicks ass, I know first hand it can handle it all and then some, with a tighter and more feeling than my blur 4x yet still has the same menoverability and cornering abilities the double agent is one of my favorite riding bikes.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Dude, you NEED a Transition Double. One of my buddies just got one and it is pretty much the J-A-M. Transition is a great company and the double is the perfect bike for softening out the bumps and rough hits but still small and flickable enough to throw around. I was amazed. There might be one in my future.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
insert thread hijak here, except not realy....what would you think of a giant trance for the same application, maybe with a different fork?

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
double, bottlerocket (heard major hype about that one) or ep a blur or something

I don't think specialized has anything really 4x oriented

L

luelling

All I will say is to stay clear of the MX/DS bikes...for the most part at least. My Tazer is 5" front and rear, but not the most stable bike for all round riding. A good trail bike with a nice standover would be good for you....maybe Commencal?

sweetimzack

Monkey
May 28, 2006
get a ironhorse warrior se and take the stock stuff off exept for the drivetrain and brakes and put on ur own suspension and wheelset and stems etc.. cost about 700 added to the cost of it and thats like 650 or 750 so less than 1,500 if you spend it right.. heres a pic of myn its awsome its fast downhill it can still pedal becuase it doesnt weigh a whole lot and its awsome for dirt jumping!!

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Wait i change my vote to a reign x.
thats what i was thinking but its a bit much travel for what eren is looking for. i might get one when somebody buys my dh bike

:spam:

ps. if your looking for a sweet dh rig check my add in the classifides.

IMPULSE

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
You should spend your money on gas and actually ride the bike you have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
trust me, I do....if you don't believe me, ask the gapeing hole in my wallet

edit: $10 says Impulse is an oil company CEO

pedalmunky

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Transition Double if yer riding DJ with some 4x/slalom or an '07 Preston for trail riding with some 4x/slalom. The Preston's gonna be more versatile, especially if you have to pedal upwards to reach the stunts, but the Double will be more flickable. Pick what's more important to you. Just my $0.02.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Turner Rail. I love mine.

But that NemPro Double Agent with the CCDB and electric sex jazz on there is gonna be wicked fun!

Also, look to Sinister to release the recipe for shred coming this year.
Or, if waiting isn't in your game, look for a SplinterMX! geo's so dialed! haha 'cuz it's adjustable with the spin of a wrist. I'll never let mine go.

or maybe a commencal meta 4X if you can find one.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
See!
I'm not the only one who loves this bike!
what, are there some naysayers or haters here? who are you trying to prove this to? They've probably never shredded on one or it was improperly set up.

here's a bit older pic of mine, it has been changed slightly and is currently in the process of sickness multiplication as we speak. I'll make a thread about it in a week or so. but just a taste

and my Rail as just a frame:

and a different SplinterMX, with a shorter travel build compared to mine. very nice.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i am sure people will laugh but i ride a bighit spec. plus those sell on ebay for like 100$. i built one up for 1200. have you concidered an enduro SX trail?

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
omg kona howler maybe w/different fork
yes! howlers are so stable at speed and still nimble as any 4" bike. i spent yesterday on my howler following a much better rider on a VP-free down one of the most rocky trails in SW VA. he'ld drop me a little in the really rough stuff, but i'd catch back up in the turns. such a good trail bike. and yeah, swap forks.

IMPULSE

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
Eren, I will sell you the transition frame if you want it, I got a new bike. It's just sitting around doing nothing.
Thanks

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i can't really tell, is the howler well built? i saw one in the shop yesterday, and i would seriously consider getting the frame and then putting on a new rear shock. it seems like it could be a solid bike, but i don't know how it compares to a transition bottlerocket. anyone with experience on both?

Jakobr

Chimp
Feb 14, 2007
denmark
yes! howlers are so stable at speed and still nimble as any 4" bike. i spent yesterday on my howler following a much better rider on a VP-free down one of the most rocky trails in SW VA. he'ld drop me a little in the really rough stuff, but i'd catch back up in the turns. such a good trail bike. and yeah, swap forks.
what about the weight?

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
I ride a Norco 4by, its a super fun stable ride. I rode it all over moab last week and it performed flawlessly on drops, rocks, and it jumps better than any bike ive been on. Clarks Cycle in Bellingham Washington has some in stock, give them a call 360-676-8689

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
what about the weight?
35 lbs with saints, dhx, pike 426 and stock tires and wheels. if you want to save weight swap the fork, bars and stem first. that should get you at or bellow 35. take care of the cranks and pedals a little latter, that will not make such a big diffrence.
it's a kona, so it's built overseas. don't expect artful welds, but it's not going to fall apart on you. it'll take a pounding.
compared to the bottle rocket, it's a lot more nimble and pedels better. you could go on a XC ride with your spandex buddies and not feel out of place on a howler, until you get board waiting for them at the bottom...
geo is almost the same between the two, the bottlerocket is just more bike. it inspires confidence in gnarly places where the howler's saying "you better be on top of your game if you want to hit that on me."
if you're going to be getting into biggish stuff (10+ foot drops, ect) or your not that smooth, go with somthing more like the bottleocket. (i have bent the upper shock mount bolt on my howler, but it was doing a stupid 5' to slightly uphill landing drop. don't do that on any bike.) if you want a rough and tumble 6' drops kinda trail/DS/play bike the howler is a worthy choice. it really makes just about any trail a little bit more challenging and a lot more fun.
norco 4xs look like fun bikes to, but i don't have any ride time on one.