Quantcast

3-minute Unfunny Jokes

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
the day we have to start doing scandanavian flicks on a bike is the same day we need to stop riding schoolbusses downhill.
Tell that to Rossi

Dirt =/= snow, or pavement for that matter. Wheels on dirt are not stainless steel ski edges on ice. That said, sometimes a 'drift' is indeed the fastest way around a corner.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
If reverse fishtail is so much quicker, why aren't alpine ski racers using it... EVER?

A tire that's hooking up is always faster than a drift. Always.
i'm pretty much discrediting you for these idiotic remarks.......you just compared turning techniques on skis, on snow (with metal blades to help turn) to cornering bicycles in tight S turns on dirt with wheels

you're an idiot...that's completely apples to oranges....i won't waste my time getting into the finer points of what a worthless comparison that was....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have no idea what you mean, but I still think you're wrong. :D
just saying that you generally have to drift because you're moving a huge amount of mass around really small turns. We don't move a lot of mass and we typically do not have ultra tight high speed turns. We also don't have a throttle nor 150ft-lbs of torque.

I won't argue that on occasion a drift is faster than a carved turn on a bike in dirt, but more often than not, a carved turn would be faster if it could be negotiated.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I won't argue that on occasion a drift is faster than a carved turn on a bike in dirt, but more often than not, a carved turn would be faster if it could be negotiated.
Bingo. The idea is to negotiate the turn when it's difficult to maintain. A good 'pilot' will determine the best course of action for the corner, and in many instances for loose or off camber corners it will be a drift.

Also, I like how this went from a whine and cheese party to a discussion about cornering.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Bingo. The idea is to negotiate the turn when it's difficult to maintain. A good 'pilot' will determine the best course of action for the corner, and in many instances for loose or off camber corners it will be a drift.

Also, I like how this went from a whine and cheese party to a discussion about cornering.
it's like talking about bikes is fun or something.

As for the drifting, I still believe that most times it would be faster through a turn if you had the gear to enable that, like better brakes or suspension, or tires....when it's choppy and your bike is locked out, hurking a skid is going to be better than laying it over and popping out.

but yeah, back to zooming in on ****.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
i'm pretty much discrediting you for these idiotic remarks.......you just compared turning techniques on skis, on snow (with metal blades to help turn) to cornering bicycles in tight S turns on dirt with wheels

you're an idiot...that's completely apples to oranges....i won't waste my time getting into the finer points of what a worthless comparison that was....
You again, Junior? Sheesh.

Where did you learn rhetoric? Kindergarten sandbox insults?

Turning is turning, and if you can't see that, you're the one who is imagining problems that aren't there, or making comparisons that are inept.

If you knew anything more than sheer BUPKIS about alpine skiing you'd know that drifting is part of turning and that nobody ever purely carves those "metal blades."

I was angling for trout, not stupid channel cats. So I'm throwing you back in the deep muddy, Junior.

You goonybirds who show pictures of Drift Racing are wrong! The whole point of drift racing is drifting. Duh.

Maybe one of you nimrods could talk about Nico and rally racing?

Oh. Wait. I get it.

You're counting apples when you should be counting oranges!

Yes, of course: when a carved turn is impossible given the wheelbase length and the turn radius, of course someone's going to snap the rear wheel around.

I'm talking about those jokerjockies who think that flicking the rear wheel outward is "faster" because they have seen it on "edits".

By the way... when did videos all get named "edits" and why is that the new EmoKidGirlJeansHipster slang for what is actually a video?

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Rossi and most moto GP guys 'drift' corners, in a sport where time is the #1 goal.

Just say'n, sometimes a drift, or 'cuttie' is indeed the quicker.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
So bicycles have a throttle that lets the rider regain a line?

Interesting.

I love it when you "correct" me with bad information!
When you have a book called "Motor Cycle Handling and Chassis Design" on your desk at work, and read it, you'll be able to understand the wild, wacky world of physics in relation to two wheels, whether motorized or not. Untill then, keep comparing the dynamics to "alpine skiing" for the lulz.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
When you have a book called "Motor Cycle Handling and Chassis Design" on your desk at work, and read it, you'll be able to understand the wild, wacky world of physics in relation to two wheels, whether motorized or not. Untill then, keep comparing the dynamics to "alpine skiing" for the lulz.
Having a book on your desk doesn't make your analogy apt.

Reading that book (instead of using it as a prop to look "smart" or whatever) also doesn't fix the bad analogy.

A throttle lets a rider, pilot, driver be sloppy because there's something on tap to regain line and time.

Duh.

In alpine ski racing and DH MTB racing, you have to preserve the pull of gravity with line choice and loss of line is loss of time.

Duh.

So, the alpine ski racing thing is far closer to being directly analogous than throttle/accelerator powered sports.

Duh.

Next?

By the way: here's what's on my computer / work desk:

golf trophy
soccer trophy
hacky sack
incense censer

and my workdesk is a mechanical drawing/drafting table.

I also have paperweights which say such things as

illegitimus non carborundum est

which you should try translating from the latin sometime!

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
we should get dirtmcgirk in here to tell us his story of the time he crapped himself during a cyclocross race. it may have been because he wasn't drifting a turn.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Quack Quack, Oink Oink, Woof Woof
It's the book D.W. referred to me many years ago, and is the go to as far as two wheeled things go, bicycles included. The fact that you can’t understand that there’s more relation between a motorcycle and a set of skis, regardless of ‘gravity’, shows exactly who we’re gaining the lulz from. But please, continue your asinine tirade, Mr. “Lawyer”. At least it detracts from your asinine tirade on bike videos.

Last edited:

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
at least they still have skinsuits
But I bet if the FIS mandated Troy Lee Pajamas, more drooling #()cktards would be into it!

I'd love to see that in slalom. "Well Kurt Knuckledragger had a great line until his billowing jersey and pants wrapped around the breakaway gate and twisted him down into the salted ice!"

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
It's the book D.W. referred to me many years ago, and is the go to as far as two wheeled things go, bicycles included. The fact that you can’t understand that there’s more relation between a motorcycle and a set of skis, regardless of ‘gravity’, shows exactly who we’re gaining the lulz from. But please, continue your asinine tirade, Mr. “Lawyer”.
What? Mr "Lawyer"? I'm not related to April.

The book's use by Wiggly doesn't prove anything about analogies we're discussing here.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
well, now we know why you're so bitter. if I still had to do technical drawings by hand, i'd probably off myself.
Bitter? Me?

Shirley, you Geste.

I'm just trying to sort out why Clay Porter calls his movies MTB DH videos, when clearly they are love poems that cover his lustful longings for certain men.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
The book's use by Wiggly doesn't prove anything about analogies we're discussing here.
Actualy, section 2-27 is on drifting entirely.... "Those of you that have followed racing techniques over the years will be aware of a change in riding styles amongst the really fast riders, who now sometimes drift their machines to quite a significant extent". The same could be said when Sam and some of the Oz guys who brought drifting over. Bottom line is you have an opportunity to learn from your obvious mistake, but instead you try to drill your ignorant point home, much to the laughter of everyone else here.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
Actualy, section 2-27 is on drifting entirely.... "Those of you that have followed racing techniques over the years will be aware of a change in riding styles amongst the really fast riders, who now sometimes drift their machines to quite a significant extent". The same could be said when Sam and some of the Oz guys who brought drifting over. Bottom line is you have an opportunity to learn from your obvious mistake, but instead you try to drill your ignorant point home, much to the laughter of everyone else here.
I'd like you to lay out how that paragraph shows me wrong.

Use facts and logic, please!

Boldly stated conclusions are little more than bragging putdowns, which I guess are primo stuff for Colorado rookies who pretend to be "core" athletes (read: trustafarian rim-jobbers). Take another swig of Peebs and throw out another putdown, Tripp.

Or was it Trey? Or Tres? Or, perhaps, Binky?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
First, why don't you lay out why skiing relates exactly to DH mountain biking, and how drifting is only for show. Maybe you can educate all the racers too, perhaps coach their pro teams with your world wide wisdom on cornering and alpine skiing.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
First, why don't you lay out why skiing relates exactly to DH mountain biking, and how drifting is only for show.
Look at you getting all defensive! Could that be because you're all hat, no cattle? Nice SUV you have there, hoss! Bet you can buck a bunch of bales into it, huh?

Simpleton, I'm here to help: I've watched countless hours of DH race footage and noticed the driftiness of Sam Hill's style.

I've also noticed that some riders don't drift anywhere near as much, and get through some sections faster without drifting.

Are you trying to suggest that the only people who can beat Sam Hill are those who drift MORE than he does?

Or what, exactly, are you trying to suggest?

Other than your own arrogance, which I cannot contest successfully!

Already talked about alpine turns and microdrift in my reply to miss Collins above. Humor me.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
What's the plane look like Jonny?

Oh, but it's big, and long, and red, and white, and... IT LOOKS JUST LIKE A GIANT TYLENOL!

AirplaneMovieOttoPilotInflatable2.jpg

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Already talked about alpine turns and microdrift in my reply to miss Collins above.
That's your explanation? Weak.

Also, I highly doubt you're going to understand much about reduced camber angles, lean angles, and cornering force in relation to c of g, contact patch, and how things like that play into overall rider ballance and enter to exit speeds in certain corners. Nevrmind getting into the fact that it's nearly impossible to not drift on a mountain bike in dirt.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, because everyone's got out their protractors and calculators while riding their bikes at race speed!

Interviewed after the last round of practice, Roger Raceface told Richie Reporter:

Well Richie, the 15th turn in the woods was pretty sloppy, I was going for a 38degree lean angle and clearly only got 35.26 degrees going, so there's room for improvement if I just mount a clinometer to the underside of my helmet brim.

Last edited:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
poop poop... bla bla bla... poop poop... lol
you talk pretty out of your asshole in every forum topic that you **** in

you do not offer discussion, you do not value others opinions, and you do not heed your own advice that you give to others often in the form of insult.

You call people names, you joke about sexual preference and gender, and lace your insight with personal insults.

your arguments are based solely on the fact that you believe you are right and everyone else is wrong. No matter what evidence they put forward to create debate you shoot them down with insult and mockery in an attempt to show that they are inferior to your intellect, which has obviously already stated the one and only possible opinion.

You are a troll on this site, and you bring nothing of value or substance.

Yes, you are as incredibly smart as you think you are. Sadly though, this does not mean you are as smart or smarter than everyone else.

Last edited:

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
you talk pretty out of your asshole in every forum topic that you **** in
Clay Porter should interview you. It would fit the rest of the dull "conversation" he records on video for his latest "edit."

Congratulations on being a DH racer! It makes you quite the conversationalist!

Oh sorry. Have I farted in your Insider Church? Tell the priest to rebuke me on behalf of The Downhill Deity, then.

Remind me, davide... who made you read this thread? Emphasis on "made," please.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Clay Porter should interview you. It would fit the rest of the dull "conversation" he records on video for his latest "edit."

Congratulations on being a DH racer! It makes you quite the conversationalist!

Oh sorry. Have I farted in your Insider Church? Tell the priest to rebuke me on behalf of The Downhill Deity, then.

Remind me, davide... who made you read this thread? Emphasis on "made," please.
In my head you're like a 60 year old cranky geezer with a bad hip and a hankerin for avoiding your wife, yelling at small kids and the good ol days of fully rigid bikes. It would be awesome if I was right.