Quantcast

30 Days For Drunken Vehicular Manslaughter!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
This is outrageous on so many levels and once again makes Americans feel that we pay for everything and the rich get away with murder.

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth began serving a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida, a punishment made possible by his cooperation with investigators and the fervent wish by the victim’s family to put the matter behind them.

Stallworth, 28, received the sentence after pleading guilty to a DUI manslaughter charge for striking and killing Mario Reyes while driving drunk March 14 in his black 2005 Bentley. The athlete also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family of the 59-year-old construction worker.

Without the plea deal, the DUI manslaughter conviction could have netted Stallworth 15 years in prison. After his release from jail, he must serve two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation. The house arrest provisions will allow him to resume his football career, his attorney said.

I'm glad the family got compensated and I'm glad he cooperated, but 30 days for killing someone is a joke.

http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/donte-stallworth-gets-30-days-jail-dui

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
There's a big controversy surrounding this and sentences that other NFL players have gotten for other crimes.

Michael Vick got 3 years for torturing dogs.

Plaxico Burress is facing a 3-month sentence for carrying an unregistered firearm in NYC.

Stallworth kills a guy and gets 30 days.

Crazy world.
To Stallworth's credit, he stayed at the scene, he complied all the way, took responsibility, payed the family, etc. But he still took a life.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
After a time, Monseigneur hears a loud cry, and the horses rear and plunge. The driver jumps out of the carriage, and Monseigneur asks what is the matter. A man huddles over a small bundle, which turns out to be a child that the carriage had struck. The man shrieks, "Killed! Dead!" A crowd gathers around the sad scene, and Monseigneur eyes them all. He coldly declares, "'It is extraordinary to me that you people cannot take care of yourselves and your children. One or the other of you is forever in the way. How do I know what injury you have done to my horses? See!'"

He takes a gold coin out of his purse and indifferently flicks it to the valet, ordering him to give it to the grieving man.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The Girl that hit me on my scooter got a "carless driving resulting in an injury" ticket that she plead down on. A 400 dollar fine and 3 points was all she got, and it was the third stop sign she had run in 16 months. I spent 3 weeks in a coma and 4 learning to walk again. Our justice system is fvcked, in europe, she would have done time.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
When you consider that the man Stallworth hit died and he got 30 days, you where out for 7 weeks and she paid with a small fine and points... seems fair to me. :)

The Girl that hit me on my scooter got a "carless driving resulting in an injury" ticket that she plead down on. A 400 dollar fine and 3 points was all she got, and it was the third stop sign she had run in 16 months. I spent 3 weeks in a coma and 4 learning to walk again. Our justice system is fvcked, in europe, she would have done time.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You guys are right.

Americans think driving is a right and necessity, not a privilege. I bet the Euros think of it the other way, and if you can't drive safely, enjoy taking the bus.

I've worked 15-30 miles from home for decades, and I've do my commute without a car. Thank god I became a cyclist.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You sound very European, you should move to Europe - maybe you'd make more sense. :)

Americans think driving is a right and necessity, not a privilege. I bet the Euros think of it the other way, and if you can't drive safely, enjoy taking the bus.

I've worked 15-30 miles from home for decades, and I've do my commute without a car. Thank god I became a cyclist.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You guys are right.

Dude, you forget that a lot of us on here do not live in a bike commuting friendly are. Where you live bikes are everywhere and drivers are accustomed to them.

Where I live, it's not only not laid out for travel other than by car, but drivers have no idea how to react to cyclists.

For some, commuting by bike is a privilege and cars are a necessity. Believe me, I wish it weren't so.