Quantcast

30-year mortgages falling... time to buy?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
30-year mortgages lowest since April 2004

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Average interest rates on 30-year mortgages fell this week to the lowest in more than a year, mortgage finance company Freddie Mac said on Thursday.

It said weaker economic data fueled speculation that the Federal Reserve might slow its upward march on short-term borrowing costs to head off inflation. However, Fed chief Alan Greenspan, in testimony to Congress on Thursday, signaled further increases in interest rates.

U.S. 30-year mortgage rates eased to an average of 5.56 percent in the week ended June 9 from 5.62 percent a week earlier. It marked the lowest level for 30-year loans since they averaged 5.52 percent in the April 1, 2004, week.

Frank Nothaft, Freddie Mac vice president and chief economist, said despite the recent slide in mortgages, 30-year rates will rise to an average between 5.9 percent and 6.2 percent later this year.

Freddie Mac said 15-year mortgages fell to an average of 5.14 percent from 5.20 percent. One-year adjustable rate mortgages also slipped, to 4.21 percent from 4.26 percent.

Greenspan on Thursday dismissed concerns that a rash of recent economic reports, highlighted by last Friday's weaker-than-expected May employment report, was evidence of an economic slowdown.

"Despite some of the risks that I have highlighted, the economy seems to be on a reasonably firm footing, and underlying inflation remains contained," he said in testimony to the congressional Joint Economic Committee.

The Federal Reserve has raised interest rates eight times since last June to reign in inflationary pressures.

Employers added only 78,000 workers to their payrolls in May, the weakest job growth in 21 months, the Labor Department said last week. Still, the job market showed some bullish signs as the unemployment rate edged down to 5.1 percent, its lowest since September 2001, from April's 5.2 percent.

"Markets are now speculating whether the Fed will continue raising rates at the same pace that it has been, or will it begin to moderate the frequency of its actions," said Nothaft, referring to the weak jobs report.

Freddie Mac said lenders charged an average of 0.6 percent in fees and points on 30-year mortgages and on the one-year ARM, both unchanged from a week ago. Fifteen-year mortgages had fees and points of 0.5 percent, down from 0.6 percent.

Freddie Mac also said the hybrid "5/1" ARM, set at a fixed rate for five years, then adjustable each year following, fell to 5.01 percent from 5.10 percent.

A year ago, 30-year rates averaged 6.30 percent, 15-year mortgages 5.67 percent and the ARM 4.14 percent.

Freddie Mac is a mortgage finance company chartered by Congress that buys mortgages from lenders and packages them into securities to sell to investors or to hold in its own portfolio.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ha ha, my mort for a small but nice house on a .5 acre wooded lot including taxes and insurance is less than $780 a month.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
actually i feel the opposite... wait for rates to go up not at first then buy. the house prices will fall. then once the rates lower again in 4-8 yrs refinance. it has worked wonderfully for me

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
hooples3 said:
actually i feel the opposite... wait for rates to go up not at first then buy. the house prices will fall. then once the rates lower again in 4-8 yrs refinance. it has worked wonderfully for me

house prices, fall.........thats FUNNY!

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
That's wierd...maybe it because it's an average, but last year I locked in a 5.3 for 30 years, and was irritated because it dropped a little more the following week. The arms are great if you only plan to live there about 5 years. I had a 4.73 5 year arm that I almost took, but I plan to live where I'm at for some time. The only thing I hate about newer houses is the fact there is zero garage space once you pull the cars in. What happened to all the extra room for 4wheelers or motorcycles, hell bikes, or big wheels.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
JSB said:
That's wierd...maybe it because it's an average, but last year I locked in a 5.3 for 30 years, and was irritated because it dropped a little more the following week. The arms are great if you only plan to live there about 5 years. I had a 4.73 5 year arm that I almost took, but I plan to live where I'm at for some time. The only thing I hate about newer houses is the fact there is zero garage space once you pull the cars in. What happened to all the extra room for 4wheelers or motorcycles, hell bikes, or big wheels.
Houses usually only appraise on the amount of 'conditioned'/living space not the total under roof.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Now is the time to do a long term loan. I've been riding the bank employee prime minus 0.5 for a few years but hell now a 30 year mortgage is equal to or even cheaper than that. I'll be switching it up this month or next and get out of the variable rate game :thumb:

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
no its possible just had a meeting yesterday and there are several lenders right now who will go 100% no down interest only. Crazy, but in Ca especially things appreciate so fast you can refi in 2 years and be at 80% LTV and drop the PMI. We are advising our clients who are in ARM's to really consider locking in a Long term Fixed or at the least a 7 or 10 year arm.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
A year ago I got a house about an hour north of Santa Barbara for $356k (1750 sq ft. suburban house in middle-class neighborhood). Got a 3.375 percent 3/1 ARM! I only put 5% down, and I got a home equitly line of credit for the other 15% of the down payment at about 5.3%. The other 80% of the loan was the 3/1 ARM. The value has already gone up by about $100k, or about 28%!

What I don't get though, is how will people be able to afford to live. There is no way I could afford my house today! This can't go on at the absurd rate or appreciation forever. I'm just glad I hopped on for the last year or so of the ride.

I'm going to have to move next year, and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to not buy for a year or two as things may have topped out, and may go down a little if rates go up. Any thoughts on this (there is a good chance I'll be moving to L.A., in particular)

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
towlie,

pulling out of the market will hurt you more than you think. I truly believe that at worst the housing market will plateau and follow the rate of inflation. Once you sell you immediately lose ground, unless you buy back in. If you can find a place that is the same value (356K) of your current house initially your equity now works in your favor.

I have ARMS for both my first and second loan and I too couldnt afford to buy the home im in right now....but I can afford to refinance it and lock it in. If you think you are going to sell it before your 3 year arm is up dont do anything, but if there is a chance you could stay beyond that you might want to lock it in with a fixed you can still find rates below 6% if your credit is good 680-700 mid fico. When your ARM adjusts after 3 years I will bet that it could go up 5% which could put you above 8%.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Well, I'm in the military, so unless I want to rent this place out (not a good idea with an ARM), I HAVE to sell next year. So, I'm pretty confident I'll have to sell, bestiboy. Damn I'd love to lock in a 5% 30 year fixed though! I love living here, too. Sort of frustrating :( BTW- I was looking at Lompoc house prices earlier, and I think my house is probably worth closer to $500k than $456! My house is pretty much like this one, but bigger... http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1046285972
Hell yeah!

About LA prices- My uncle in Long Beach bought a house in the early 90's. After the early/mid 90's LA real estate recession, it took about 7 years until it was worth what he payed for it. So real estate can go down for a time. Me, being forced to sell every few years, can't afford to be in that situation. I just don't see how anybody will be able to afford anything down there if rates go up significantly. I really do think we're at the top of some kind of bubble, and prices will eventually go down a little, or at the very least not go up at all for a LONG time. This shold happen when rates go up.

Now, I'm by no means any sort of real estate tycoon, so if anybody has a good explanation of why this won't happen I'd be really interested and very happy to hear it.

Thanks guys
-@dam

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Towlie, if your loan amount is low enough (the VA just raised the amount i to almost 360,000) It might be a way to go. If you have any questions and want to pursue this further pm me. Dont need to air all you laundry in public. Im just saying that there are other options out there. My brother is in the Air Force (kirkland) i was in the Army 10th mtn div. Half of my coworkers are veterans and we are always looking to help other vets or active military.