ROB_BMW

Chimp
Dec 4, 2005
AM/FR/DH/DJ/STREET?

Custom Giant reign x - 30.5lbs.
5.5 marzocchi- 5lbs
mavic crossline 2010
fit seat- 196 g
pro taper bars- some how exactly matching anodize as frame???
BMW stem
Sram X9
E-13 LG1
Nevgal front tire 2.35 dh casing-1200g
Small block back tire 2.35- 700g
hussefelt cranks
wellgo MG-1 pedals-374g per pair
Magura Julie brakes- 6" rotors
Fox dhx rear shock
Thompson seatpost chopped- 140 g
FSA internal Headset

Still haven't found any situation this bike can't handle, from rocky dh to dj's, to slopestyle, some street, and flying up hill. I'm even giving the roadies a run for their money in the park...lol .. Nothing air or titanium used in this build.

Last edited:

ROB_BMW

Chimp
Dec 4, 2005
LOL.. I can't hold the bike and camera and stand on a scale. This bike weighed 33lbs with BMW pedals and 2.5 dh casing tires at the shop so 30.5 with the light parts and tires was easy. I could go below 30 by next season??? The light wheels really dropped the weight by 2-3 lbs. Was running it at 33-34 with old setup.

Last edited:

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
seems too light for whats on it. I have lighter everything on my nomad with all air everything and it weighs 31.4. if its going to be a serious weight discussion then scale shots are needed.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
LOL.. I can't hold the bike and camera and stand on a scale. This bike weighed 33lbs with BMW pedals and 2.5 dh casing tires at the shop so 30.5 with the light parts and tires was easy. I could go below 30 by next season??? The light wheels really dropped the weight by 2-3 lbs. Was running it at 33-34 with old setup.
bathroom scale bike weighing is +/- 10 lbs

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
for sure that bike can do downhill, but is it a dh/fr rig? i can do downhill on a light cross country bike can i post it in here..?

you need some rules for this thread, 7inch+ f&r or whatever

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Rob I did not know you had turned weight weenie :)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
AM/FR/DH/DJ/Street

So basically this is a post your bike as long as it is around 30 lbs thread?

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Sounds a bit pointless really doesnt it? i mean sure, make a DH one and get the real weenies juices flowing, but all include 4X and Dj ? it sounds silly.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
lets see...

• heavy-ish frame
  • heavy cranks
  • heavy front tire
  • heavy shock
  • heavy fork

I'd guess 34-35 lbs. I have no idea what the wheelset is...

Doesn't matter about the weight really, that's a great bike, looks like lots of fun.

ROB_BMW

Chimp
Dec 4, 2005
Wow I had no idea this is where the most anal people on the internet hang out. I haven't been on here in 4 years but thought you would enjoy some bike pics since thats all people do on here. As for the weight issue I have a very light version of the 5.5, light frame , wheelset, and 120-gram tubes so you do the math. My buddy Pete has a nomad with all air setup and it's still heavier than my bike. I guees nobody on here is even close to 30 lbs with anything but their hardtail so forget the tread all together. The fact is this bike I showed is close to 30lbs and does eveything you could imagine on or off the mountain. As I said earlier it weighed 33lbs with a much heavier setup. Does anyone have an idea how light the reign frame is? or how light the julie brakes are? or mavic crossride, or chopped thomson post, or mag pedals, or fit seat? etc. Use your imagination. Giant frame are always lighter, and this frame is for AM, not a burly fr frame.

and don't tell me to just ride when you have 800 posts on here. I have 6 posts in 5 years so I've been riding more than anyone on here.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wow I had no idea this is where the most anal people on the internet hang out. I haven't been on here in 4 years but thought you would enjoy some bike pics since thats all people do on here. As for the weight issue I have a very light version of the 5.5, light frame , wheelset, and 120-gram tubes so you do the math. My buddy Pete has a nomad with all air setup and it's still heavier than my bike. I guees nobody on here is even close to 30 lbs with anything but their hardtail so forget the tread all together. The fact is this bike I showed is close to 30lbs and does eveything you could imagine on or off the mountain. As I said earlier it weighed 33lbs with a much heavier setup. Does anyone have an idea how light the reign frame is? or how light the julie brakes are? or mavic crossride, or chopped thomson post, or mag pedals, or fit seat? etc. Use your imagination. Giant frame are always lighter, and this frame is for AM, not a burly fr frame.
and don't tell me to just ride when you have 800 posts on here. I have 6 posts in 5 years so I've been riding more than anyone on here.
If that's the case, then you:

-mis-titled the thread
-improperly placed an AM bike in a thread about DH/FR bikes
-placed a thread about an AM bike in the wrong forum.

ROB_BMW

Chimp
Dec 4, 2005
The point is that an AM bike with some fr parts can be used to ride almost any type of terrain.

ROB_BMW

Chimp
Dec 4, 2005
You knuckle heads, what I'm saying is that I'll abuse half of you on a DH track with this AM bike. I use this bike in gnarly dh situations almost every day. There will be 10 people here with full on dh rigs not hitting the lines I'm hitting on my AM bike. Either bike technology is getting better or I'm just beasting out on dh tracks with an AM bike.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I think your getting crap because you posted a weight weenie thread in a DH/FR forum and then posted an AM bike. plus one that seems like its heavier than what you claim.

ill post my AM bike too but just to back my earlier statement that i doubt your bike is lighter than mine.

2009 santa cruz nomad (7.5 lbs with shock)
2008 rock shox lyrik solo air (4.9 pounds)
2010 fox dhx air 5.0
shimano hone crankset (900 grams)
hope pro 2 hubs laced to stans ztr flow rims with comp spokes (1800 grams)
schwalbe fat albert tires (front 750, rear 730 grams)
xc tubes
sram x9 everything
avid elixir cr brakes 7 and 8 rotors
sram 990 cassette (270 grams)
thomson stem (140 grams) and seatpost
deity dirty 30's chopped to 28"
canfield crampon pedals (385 grams)
wtb devo carbon ti saddle (178 grams)

31.4 lbs on a digital hang scale

I have hit 15+ foot gaps and up to 10 drops on this thing. lots of fun. Not a DH/FR bike though, although i can ride down some DH/FR trails i can go way faster on my dedicated DH bike

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
If that's the case, then you:

-mis-titled the thread
-improperly placed an AM bike in a thread about DH/FR bikes
-placed a thread about an AM bike in the wrong forum.
yep.

I have a 25-lb singlespeed that I ride "DH" on. does that qualify?

why do people try to "challenge" others regarding bike weight? who cares? what a bike weight post tells me about is an obsession with bike weight, and nothing else. if someone wants to "prove" that he rides burly **** on a superlight bike, he should post video footage of doing something burly, and then immediately show the bike's weight afterward.

if I don't know the rider, I don't think anything other than "poseur" when I read posts like the original one here. big deal, a "30.5 lbs pseudo-freeride bike". wow.

just ride and be happy. if you're a skilled rider, your riding buddies know it, and you don't need to tell me or any other internet reader about it.

Last edited:

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
You knuckle heads, what I'm saying is that I'll abuse half of you on a DH track with this AM bike. I use this bike in gnarly dh situations almost every day. There will be 10 people here with full on dh rigs not hitting the lines I'm hitting on my AM bike. Either bike technology is getting better or I'm just beasting out on dh tracks with an AM bike.
insecurity! this post SCREAMS insecurity!

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
i wont be hitting the lines you hit on your am bike because im on a downhill bike :p

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
same impression here rob. i'm not one of those 800 post count anal peeps you are talking about, but when you come onto a downhill forum bragging about how much you would smoke all of us on our downhill bikes while on your am bike, you are gonna get some flack. and personally, an attitude like that WILL get you smoked off the mountain by one of us.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yep.

I have a 25-lb singlespeed that I ride "DH" on. does that qualify?
My point was that he had contradicted himself.

I *could* ride DH on my xc bike, my bmx bike, or hell even my trials bike. Could I do it well? Probably not. But if I did, I wouldn't run around touting a bike as something that its not.

I've taken my sx trail downhilling, but I wouldn't call it a downhill bike.

ROB_BMW

Chimp
Dec 4, 2005
You guys define "anal internet queers". I post anything I want in any forum. If you don't like it don't read it. This is a pic of a bike and your complaining about it's in the wrong forum, blah blah your the one who's insecure. You said it so you are the most insecure one of all. Come check me in brooklyn and I'll show you how to smoke somebody.

BTW I haven't taken any speed in 10 years so I must be spitting true wisdom at you. No drugs or alcohol needed to reach this level of aggrevation when you live in the hood.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
FYI. Beating someone on a AM bike doesnt make it a DH bike. I tried to hang with Minnaar and Peat on their carbon full sus XC bikes and they made me look like a retard with a grand total of 120mm travel and 2.1 inch xc tires vs my 8/9 inchs and 2.5 inch tires. Do their 22lb XC bikes qualify as a DH/FR bike aswell?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Piff Pit school is now in session. Professor Rob will now discourse on Huge and Sketchy 101.