Quantcast

31.8mm oversize stem/bars

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
what's the deal, wil it make any difference, just seems heavier, loking at getting some ritchey bars (after long time loooking for something with a shape that appeals to me )

I don't really need a new stem, so should I just get the std. bar or spend the extra on oversize stem/bar combo ??

but then my computer won't fit around the bar......great ! :rolleyes:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
In theory, the fat bar will be stiffer and stronger and just as light if not lighter. In practice, they feel the same to me and I went from one Deda bar to another fat one.

I do like the idea of the 31.8 size though because I think we will see it become the universal size for all bikes. That will make hunting for the perfect reach and rise stem easier.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
I though there was a universal size for bike stems....25.4 or is it 25.8 or 26.0 ?? anyways its all the same, suppose I just like the mtb influence on road bikes, making them chunkier looking with oversize tubes, 1 1/8" headsets, and now oversize bars.

anyways the bar I want only is available in 31.8mm in this country so I suppose oversize it is !

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Mountain bike bars are 25.4 and road 25.8 and 26.0. I know guys who interchange between road and mountain but often its not a good idea. The smaller mountain size can squish a light bar and because it doesn't fit right the bar might slip leading to overtightening.

Cinelli used to have a size unique to Cinelli, 26.4 I think. I'll bet there was a french non standard size too and I think another Japanese size on top of that.

The 31.8 size I hope will make it as a universal size for all bikes. Pretty sure it was started as a road thing but there are some off road ones now too.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I think they are making a new one without their normal steer tube clamp because the current one is not suitable for carbon steer tubes.