Quantcast

40 Grip x2 damper

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Whats the difference with the new damper. Bigger body, less pressure difference, less friction. Seem to work with the few people ive seen on them.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
@HAB stated there was considerably more compression damping available in the 38 version he's been testing on the latest Bikes and Big Ideas podcast. I have a damper incoming this week, will update. My new Altitude came with the '24 Grip 2 which is still a VVC compression circuit but with supposedly increased compression damping force and so far that appears to be true, but I need to pull some tokens from air spring before I can decide if it's enough.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I mean if you're riding a bike that has suspension with an X2 damper on a track, I wouldn't expect it to be very good. Even if you have thighs the size of tree trunks.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The section of the podcast where they interview the product performance manager Sergio who came over from moto has some cool commentary on the approach they took to the Grip X2 -

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I guess when kashima stanchions start to loose market share you up the volume of kashima with lowers to match!! Like a drug tolerance, gotta up the dose...(Not a fan of New lowers)

Well being they are now not trying to push flow through a pencil, it may work better ..but then again fox have shown us they can mess that up too...

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I guess when kashima stanchions start to loose market share you up the volume of kashima with lowers to match!! Like a drug tolerance, gotta up the dose...(Not a fan of New lowers)

Well being they are now not trying to push flow through a pencil, it may work better ..but then again fox have shown us they can mess that up too...
Look crud the lowers. Black and kashima was peak looking. The people i know on the new fork in DH have upped their performance right away. Also a junior Aus girl in EWC had a step up too when she got the new fork.
Ill have a damper as soon as i can. Black fork with black stanchions, soon with the black decals they did for a limited run.
“once you go black you never go back”?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
So what you're saying is that the Monkeys were right when they said the answer was "moar shimz."

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
IDK, this is pretty much saying they were just designing fuck-all dampers previously and had no fucking clue what they were doing...which is pretty much true...but jesus christ, we are constantly scraping the bottom of the barrel in this industry. New and improved: It might actually work this time! These companies deserve a few punches in the face.

Why the fuck is it so bad all the time.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
IDK, this is pretty much saying they were just designing fuck-all dampers previously and had no fucking clue what they were doing...which is pretty much true...but jesus christ, we are constantly scraping the bottom of the barrel in this industry. New and improved: It might actually work this time! These companies deserve a few punches in the face.

Why the fuck is it so bad all the time.
Ya wanna know how that happened.
I heard they took cane creeks "lead" guy.
I speculate without daddy ohlins he was out of his league.

Personally i think all dampers and each offered valve scheme should have published damper curves.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Fox is so damn annoying. If this new damper is everything everyone is making it out to be (as in it actually works well), then Fox should be sticking with it for the next decade. But they won't because the exclusivity or novelty will wear off and as soon as sales level off or start dipping, they'll come up with some other trendy thing to renew that novelty.

While I haven't bought anything from Craig in a few years since I've been happy with Ohlins, I still love the fact his fork cartridge is still basically the same thing he had in the DHF in the late 90s. He's just added some upgrades along the way to improve them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, I must admit my ohlins rear shock felt pretty damn good yesterday…but then again, compared to no damping up front, probably to be expected.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Personally i think all dampers and each offered valve scheme should have published damper curves.

Publishing damping curves to the MTB community is like like marketing chassis rigidity information to crossover SUV buyers.

Giving adjustment authority to the average user is just providing them opportunities to dial in garbage settings. No damping and placebo dials are the path to success, you just aren't the target audience.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Well, I must admit my ohlins rear shock felt pretty damn good yesterday…but then again, compared to no damping up front, probably to be expected.
I have no experience with these products. Are you saying high and low speed compression dials don't work or don't make any appreciable difference? What about rebound?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have hopefully fixed the mezzer with a re-bleed, there was a lot of air in the bladder.