Quantcast

40 mile ride

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey guys/gals!

I decided since my DH bike is still out of commission I would go for a Cyclocross ride. Unfortunately I could not talk anyone into going with me so I went on this one solo.

I left from my apartment near downtown Santa Cruz CA and headed towards Nisene Marks in Aptos. It was around 8 miles to get there.

Once into the park, I took the main fire road to the 1989 earthquakes epicenter (it was about 14 miles from the start of my ride). That was the bottom of the 5 mile climb up to Sand Point. Unfortunately my camera was acting up so I only got this shot from there.

(Here is my Surly Cross-Check. Love this thing...)

After the 5 mile climb to Sand Point I stopped up top to take a little rest/eat some snacks. If you have never done it before, it’s basically a long winding fire road that gets pretty steep at times. While I was at the top a group of 3 dudes on Karpiel DH bikes came from another trail to take a breather. I didn’t catch the names but they said the come onto the forums every once and a while. Props to them being out there on such big bikes.

Here are a couple shots from Sand Point. This is looking towards Soquel/Capitola. (I managed to get my camera working again for these shots)

The view:

The view + bike =]

After a short break up there it was time to head down. I wish I got some shots of the single track I rode on the way down but when I stopped I couldn’t get my camera working to get a shot. It ended up being another 8 miles or so of downhill singletrack. My original plan was to take a trail that would have dropped me into this place called Medicine Buddha. It is a Tibetan Buddhist Retreat in Soquel. This is where I ended up on my first ride of the year. Really cool area.

But I ended up taking the wrong trail that dropped me back down into Nisene Marks. From there I started to head back home. Total of 40 miles, 3 close calls with cars almost hitting me, and some sore legs. All in all it was a great ride. It was really nice to take a few hours to myself and enjoy the local trails.

Anyone up for joining me for another ride next week? :monkeydance:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Great write up man! Thanks.
No problem. =]

Aren't cross bikes great in their versatility?
Seriously. I originally got the bike just for commuting (mostly road riding. I actually had road tires on it for the first year I owned it.) I love this bike. Such a blast when you get a couple people together riding too.

Once I finally got talked into getting some cross tires for it, I loved the way it climbed. Being able to take it into the dirt and back onto the road was really cool. Getting used to the bumps and not so smooth downhill is a little scary since I am used to bikes with suspension. Being clipped in is a little scary too. =]

Stinky Boy

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Arkport NY
That was a very nice write up and it sounded like a very cool ride. I have never given the cycle cross thing a chance yet, but one of these days I will have too.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
That was a very nice write up and it sounded like a very cool ride. I have never given the cycle cross thing a chance yet, but one of these days I will have too.
It was worth it once I finally gave it a chance. At first I was like f-that. Then when I finally did it, I really liked it. =]

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
tyeah CX bikes are great oyu can take them just about anywhere, on the raod on the trail and even in the mud (they actually do better in the mud than any other bike out there). after having my i vowed that i will always own a CX bike even if its not build, but it could be if i wanted to