Quantcast

4th Annual Mob n Mojave info

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
Yeah, count me out as well. Bootleg was a winter staple for me. But with USAC and Delta charging $175 each way for bikes. Count me out.

:nopity:
Yo, I just saw your comment about the 175 each way for the bike Doug, that should not stop you from coming out. I put my dh bike in a bag for Europe last summer, it worked great. A 36 inch long, round, 30 dollar duffel bag. Tires, tubes, pedals and seat/post in another bag, wrap the wheels and frame with your DH gear. No fees, under weight, and no problems. /Users/Steve/Desktop/IMG_0421.jpg

Attachments

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Yeah c'mon Doug. You missed the race last year and I heard your name mentioned a few times. We could use a good Windrock representative at the Mob in Mojave.

Last edited:

aj_gilbs

Chimp
Oct 8, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
stoked! I can't wait to try out my first DS race ever. I heard the course is rocky, but did you guys buff it out? It looks smooth, is it still loose? I gotta figure out my tire choices, haha

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
Hey People,

Does anyone have a some space to put up another downhill racer for the event? I just got the time off work, but the place I thought I would be staying has since filled up.

I want to make it out there but I don't have much to spend on a place to stay. This was a last minute addition to my racing schedule therefore I hadn't budgeted for it.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Evan Turpen

*EDIT* Just got a place to stay for the race. I'll see you guys there!
ebturpen@rattlebrain.com

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
There is free on site camping right at the event. If your looking for rooms, I have been finding rooms in Boulder City for $19.99 weekdays and $49.99 weekends. Just pm or shoot me an email if you need more info.
DHM
info@downhillmike.com

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
stoked! I can't wait to try out my first DS race ever. I heard the course is rocky, but did you guys buff it out? It looks smooth, is it still loose? I gotta figure out my tire choices, haha
The course was smoothed out with all loose rocks removed from the course. The anchor rocks (holding things in place) stay, but the course took 4 days to get in the shape it's in now. It will be raked at least a couple of more times before the race.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
just signed up for slalom... this should be interesting.. first time on a hardtail (that's actually my own too) in about 5... 6.. years or so? at least the track looks fun! :D

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The Downhill and Super D courses will be taped the best we can, and as early before the race as possible. All courses will be fully marked by Friday (practice day).
If we our not able to tape all spots on both sides, we will at least mark both sides of the courses before, during and after any intersecting trails. The trail will show up better than it did last year.
By next weekend we will mark off the exact finish so all practicing will know the finish.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Just registered for DH & DS for an ass reaming $156.00 along with Friday practice. This is an awful sport!
Thanks for pre registering.
Since you paid for the DH & DS you will get 2 raffle tickets to win 1 of our grand raffle prizes.
Check out what KHS just sent us:

Thanks KHS!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Just registered for DH & DS for an ass reaming $156.00 along with Friday practice. This is an awful sport!
Since you paid for the DH & DS you will get 2 raffle tickets to win 1 of our grand raffle prizes.
Check out what KHS just sent us (DH 200 frameset- shock dhx5):

Thanks KHS!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Neko is making his pro debut at the Mob in Mojave.
I was hoping they would make it. I met Parker last year filming the Gene Hamilton/Greg Minaar clinic, saw both those guys at the Whiteface 5 k dh. I have been telling the local hot shots about you guys. While preparing the 5 k dh course last year I got to see Neko ride. Smoothest rider I ever saw. The section he hit at Whiteface was so gnarly and Neko was so smooth. Okay, I will stop now but that's the best news I heard today (and I had some pretty good news earlier).
Looking forward to seeing you guys at the Mob!
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DHM

Please note that ds is limited to 100. We are at 31 as of 2-4-09

Last edited:

drtjmpnjosh

Chimp
Feb 13, 2006
Carnation
i also need a ride to the race from vegas airport if thats possible. any help would be great. it was also a late addition to my race schedule.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
We're not getting there until fairly late that night.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Bootleg Canyon, Nev- Downhill Mike with All Mountain Cyclery presents the 4th Annual Mob in Mojave Mountain Bike Race Festival Weekend at Bootleg Canyon, Nevada on Presidents Day Weekend, February 13-15, 2009. The Festival will offer three days of winter mountain bike racing action in the desert featuring three different disciplines of USA Cycling sanctioned gravity racing, live music, race clinics and free on-site camping. The festival will offer spectators and racers Dual Slalom, Super D and Downhill racing action. We will even have professional BBQ supplied by Events Unlimited. Events Unlimited will offer a breakfast and lunch menu, beer, wine and a daily happy hour all 3 days.
The Mob in Mojave will be the first race of 2009 on the USAC National Gravity Calendar and promises to feature racers from both coasts chasing points for the prestigious National Gravity Calendar Championship. In addition two provincial Canadian teams that are training at Bootleg Canyon and several UCI World Cup stars will compete trying to prove their superiority. The Mob in Mojave will allow racers a chance to get a head start on the National Gravity Calendar Series and see how they stack up for the season not to mention escaping the cold winter weather for those in the East and the Pacific Northwest. Pro Downhill Racers will be vying for a $2000.00 Cash Purse. The first 200 race entrants will receive event T-shirts courtesy of Go Ride.com and the top three in each class will be awarded Custom Medals and prizes.

Friday will offer inspection of the courses with a reasonable $20.00 fee for racers to use the shuttle for Downhill & Super D training.

Saturday is when the racing action starts with the Dual Slalom Race in the morning. The Dual Slalom will feature a &#8220;Y&#8221; course where racers will start in separate tracks, which will merge for some exciting elbow-to-elbow racing. The Super D Race will be held Saturday afternoon. The Super D course will be a challenging 2 + mile event with very little climbing. While all this racing action is going on, three shuttle vehicles will bring racers to the top of the Downhill & Super D courses for a full day of practice. Saturday will wrap up with the Dual Slalom and Super D awards ceremony.

Sunday will be time for the main event The Mob in Mojave Downhill Race offering a $2000.00 cash purse for pro men and women. The 1.5 mile downhill track will be used by all classes and will feature classic Bootleg Canyon Terrain, the faster you go the harder and more technical it will get. The downhill race will finish at Mob in Mojave Race Village featuring the BBQ, live music, vendors, team pits and the restrooms.

Following the success of Downhill Mike&#8217;s Whiteface, N.Y. 5K DH race, the last race of the weekend will be the Downhill Chainless Open Race which will offer a fun, light hearted way to close out the festival weekend for only $10.00 extra. This Chainless Downhill race will use the exact same course as the main dh course. The Awards Ceremony and raffles will start after this race Sunday afternoon.

The Mob in Mojave is proudly sponsored by the following; All Mountain Cyclery, High Peaks Cyclery SixSixOne, KHS Bicycles, Black Rock Bicycles, Division 26 Clothing, Intense Cycles, E-Thirteen Components, Nema International, Chumba Racing, Gravity Logic, Go-Ride.Com Teko Socks, and Tifosi Optics

Bootleg Canyon is conveniently located 25 miles from Las Vegas, making for easy connections from anywhere and offers world class by entertainment options nearby as well.

SCHEDULE:

Dual Slalom starts at 10:00 am on Saturday

Super D starts at 2:00 pm on Saturday

Downhill starts at 11:00 am on Sunday

(Open practice will be available on all courses until 1/2 hour prior to the start of each discipline.)

The above listed races are permitted and sanctioned by USA CYCLING.

Categories are as follows for Downhill & Super D:

Open pro men & open pro women

Category 1, 2 & 3 in age groups 10-18, 19-29, 30-39, 40-49 & 50 +

A 10-14 age group has been added to the Men&#8217;s and Women&#8217;s category 3 (beginner)

Categories are as follows for Dual Slalom

Open pro men & women

Open category 1 men & women

Open category 2 men & women

Open category 3 men & women

A $2,000.00 pro cash purse will be awarded as follows for pro racers in the downhill competition.

Pro Men&#8217;s 1st place $500.00 Pro Women&#8217;s 1st place $450.00

Pro Men&#8217;s 2nd place $300.00 Pro Women&#8217;s 2nd place $200.00

Pro Men&#8217;s 3rd place $200.00 Pro Women&#8217;s 3rd place $100.00

Pro Men&#8217;s 4th place $150.00 & Pro Men&#8217;s 5th place $100.00

The top 3 places in all amateur categories for the downhill will win custom event medals and prizes from our sponsors.

The top 3 places in all categories for Dual Slalom and Super D will also win custom event medals & prizes from our sponsors.

Registration can be found on Active.com

Pre - registration is open and will close February 12th at 6:00 pm pst

To register for Downhill or Super D will be $75.00.

$120.00 for Downhill & Super D

All registration fees include Saturday & Sunday shuttles

To register for the Dual Slalom the cost will be $50.00

On site race registration will be set up at the event starting on Friday 2-13-09 at 8:00 am.

Registration for Dual Slalom & Super D closes on Friday 2-13-09 at 4:00 pm

Registration for Downhill & Chainless DH closes at 9:30 am on Sunday 2-15-09.

Directions: Take us Highway 93/95 and turn at the Taco Bell on Yucca Street.

Look for signs & the big BC on the mountain. It&#8217;s that easy.

Free on site camping. For help with lodging and Race n Stay packages please email.

Web Site: www.downhillmike.com

Email: info@downhillmike.com

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO

Q: Why don't the age groups align with the USA Cycling Categories and Classes?

Downhill/DHI (39)
Male Pro
Junior (no category): 10 & under, 11-12, 13-14
Category 1: 15-16, 17-18, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50+
Category 2: 15-18, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-49, 50+
Category 3: 15-18, 19-29, 30-39, 40+

http://usacycling.org/forms/mtb/09_Categories_Classes_Championships.pdf

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
These age groups were all approved by our chief usac official. We are using the same age groups as we do for our 5 k dh, with the exception of adding the 50+.

Also, to directly answer your question: That's a lot of age brackets you have there. 10 and under at Bootleg? Some are worried about the 10-14 we have here and the Super D course (It's pretty gnarly). I am not sure if we had that many categories how many would fill to at least 5 per category? We are really hoping that all of our categories fill at least 5 deep.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY

Downhill/DHI (39)
Male Pro

Those categories are for Nationals and/or National Championships. The Bootleg race is more of a local event, so they don't need to adhere to them.

For instance, I race Cat 1 40+ at Plattekill (NY race), but at the Nat Championships, I race 40-44. It seems like Mike's categories are even more generous than ours here in NY for the old guys!

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
These age groups were all approved by our chief usac official. We are using the same age groups as we do for our 5 k dh, with the exception of adding the 50+.

Also, to directly answer your question: That's a lot of age brackets you have there. 10 and under at Bootleg? Some are worried about the 10-14 we have here and the Super D course (It's pretty gnarly). I am not sure if we had that many categories how many would fill to at least 5 per category? We are really hoping that all of our categories fill at least 5 deep.
Gotcha. See you there.

:cheers:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Bootleg Canyon, Nev- Downhill Mike with All Mountain Cyclery presents the 4th Annual Mob in Mojave Mountain Bike Race Festival Weekend at Bootleg Canyon, Nevada on Presidents Day Weekend, February 13-15, 2009. The Festival will offer three days of winter mountain bike racing action in the desert featuring three different disciplines of USA Cycling sanctioned gravity racing, live music, race clinics and free on-site camping. The festival will offer spectators and racers Dual Slalom, Super D and Downhill racing action. We will even have professional BBQ supplied by Events Unlimited. Events Unlimited will offer a breakfast and lunch menu, beer, wine and a daily happy hour all 3 days.
The Mob in Mojave will be the first race of 2009 on the USAC National Gravity Calendar and promises to feature racers from both coasts chasing points for the prestigious National Gravity Calendar Championship. In addition two provincial Canadian teams that are training at Bootleg Canyon and several UCI World Cup stars will compete trying to prove their superiority. The Mob in Mojave will allow racers a chance to get a head start on the National Gravity Calendar Series and see how they stack up for the season not to mention escaping the cold winter weather for those in the East and the Pacific Northwest. Pro Downhill Racers will be vying for a $2000.00 Cash Purse. The first 200 race entrants will receive event T-shirts courtesy of Go Ride.com and the top three in each class will be awarded Custom Medals and prizes.

Friday will offer inspection of the courses with a reasonable $20.00 fee for racers to use the shuttle for Downhill & Super D training.

Saturday is when the racing action starts with the Dual Slalom Race in the morning. The Dual Slalom will feature a &#8220;Y&#8221; course where racers will start in separate tracks, which will merge for some exciting elbow-to-elbow racing. The Super D Race will be held Saturday afternoon. The Super D course will be a challenging 2 + mile event with very little climbing. While all this racing action is going on, three shuttle vehicles will bring racers to the top of the Downhill & Super D courses for a full day of practice. Saturday will wrap up with the Dual Slalom and Super D awards ceremony.

Sunday will be time for the main event The Mob in Mojave Downhill Race offering a $2000.00 cash purse for pro men and women. The 1.5 mile downhill track will be used by all classes and will feature classic Bootleg Canyon Terrain, the faster you go the harder and more technical it will get. The downhill race will finish at Mob in Mojave Race Village featuring the BBQ, live music, vendors, team pits and the restrooms.

Following the success of Downhill Mike&#8217;s Whiteface, N.Y. 5K DH race, the last race of the weekend will be the Downhill Chainless Open Race which will offer a fun, light hearted way to close out the festival weekend for only $10.00 extra. This Chainless Downhill race will use the exact same course as the main dh course. The Awards Ceremony and raffles will start after this race Sunday afternoon.

The Mob in Mojave is proudly sponsored by the following; All Mountain Cyclery, High Peaks Cyclery SixSixOne, KHS Bicycles, Black Rock Bicycles, Division 26 Clothing, Intense Cycles, E-Thirteen Components, Nema International, Chumba Racing, Gravity Logic, Go-Ride.Com Teko Socks, and Tifosi Optics

Bootleg Canyon is conveniently located 25 miles from Las Vegas, making for easy connections from anywhere and offers world class by entertainment options nearby as well.

SCHEDULE:

Dual Slalom starts at 10:00 am on Saturday

Super D starts at 2:00 pm on Saturday

Downhill starts at 11:00 am on Sunday

(Open practice will be available on all courses until 1/2 hour prior to the start of each discipline.)

The above listed races are permitted and sanctioned by USA CYCLING.

A 10-14 age group has been added to the Men&#8217;s and Women&#8217;s category 3 (beginner)

Categories are as follows for Dual Slalom

Open pro men & women

Open category 1 men & women

Open category 2 men & women

Open category 3 men & women

A $2,000.00 pro cash purse will be awarded as follows for pro racers in the downhill competition.

Pro Men&#8217;s 1st place $500.00 Pro Women&#8217;s 1st place $450.00

Pro Men&#8217;s 2nd place $300.00 Pro Women&#8217;s 2nd place $200.00

Pro Men&#8217;s 3rd place $200.00 Pro Women&#8217;s 3rd place $100.00

Pro Men&#8217;s 4th place $150.00 & Pro Men&#8217;s 5th place $100.00

The top 3 places in all amateur categories for the downhill will win custom event medals and prizes from our sponsors.

The top 3 places in all categories for Dual Slalom and Super D will also win custom event medals & prizes from our sponsors.

Registration can be found on Active.com

Pre - registration is open and will close February 12th at 6:00 pm pst

To register for Downhill or Super D will be $75.00.

$120.00 for Downhill & Super D

All registration fees include Saturday & Sunday shuttles

To register for the Dual Slalom the cost will be $50.00

On site race registration will be set up at the event starting on Friday 2-13-09 at 8:00 am.

Registration for Dual Slalom & Super D closes on Friday 2-13-09 at 4:00 pm

Registration for Downhill & Chainless DH closes at 9:30 am on Sunday 2-15-09.

Directions: Take us Highway 93/95 and turn at the Taco Bell on Yucca Street.

Look for signs & the big BC on the mountain. It&#8217;s that easy.

Free on site camping. For help with lodging and Race n Stay packages please email.

Web Site: www.downhillmike.com

Email: info@downhillmike.com
Looks like you got your sh*t together, Mike !!!

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
While driving up the service road today I snapped a couple of pictures of Skyline. Skyline is the trail that the Super D starts on.
This 1st picture is too dark but I love how it shows the trail along the cliff:

This is the next section of Skyline:

This section is immediately next:

Then I saw a couple of guys practicing on the Dual Slalom course:
Jeff:

Jake:

This weekend the plan is to get some action shots of both the DH & Super D courses.

See ya at the race
DHM

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California

Downhill/DHI (39)
Male Pro

FYI, at the MTB Summit meeting, USAC stated that promoters were allowed to categorize their classes by division of 5 or 10.. the US Champs will be 5 (because they're run direct by USAC). so you'll probably see other races/promoters use the 10 yr age categories as well

(other than the kids i mean)

coopdog

Chimp
Sep 30, 2008
Hey Mike, cool video of the slalom course. What's the weather like, I see you guys are still in t-shirts? I'll bring a sweatshirt or two but I'm trying to pack light. I get in about 5:30 on Wednesday, see you then:cheers:
Coopdog (aka Ken R.)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'm trying to find a ride from the SB area, but I can take a train to somewhere on thursday. I'll be bringing 2 bikes and 2 bags, plus a small toolbox.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Just submitted my reg for dh and sd. It's the first time I've skipped out on ds to do another event - but honestly, the ds looks like a drag race and I'd need a little more cush than my hardtail gives given the rocky terrain.

See ya'll there. :cheers:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Colorado now has 21 registrants. Just a couple behind California. Nevada is far behind in pre reg but should catch on at the on site registration. N.Y. ,Florida, Idaho and Indiana are just a few of the other states people are traveling from to race the Mob. We even have someone from American Samoa racing here. Looks beautiful there. Maybe next year we race in the South Pacific.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
For those coming to the event that have not been here before, these easy venue directions may help:

Now that you are in Boulder City it is very easy to find the venue. US 93/95 turns into the main drag in Boulder city. Just look for the Taco Bell (on your left if your coming from Las Vegas) and turn on Yucca Street.

* Cross the railroad tracks and turn right on Industrial

* Go approx. 1/4 mile and make the left where the sign points to Bootleg Canyon

* Now the pavement ends and just stay on the main dirt road till you get to Race Village

See ya at the race