Quantcast

4X bike?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I want to build a full sus 4x type bike and was just seeing what bikes people seem to recommend. I'm looking at the Yeti 4x, Commencal Meta 4x, Specialized SX and a few others at the moment. I already had to quit riding downhill because of a hand problem, and at this point I can't ride my trail bike either. I am going to have to sell my Specialized Enduro SL frame and fork here at some point to pay for it, so hopefully I can find something good. Let me know what you think. Thanks

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Yeti all the way. I came off of an Specialized SX to this and the difference is very noticeable with the rear end being about an inch shorter and the travel an inch less. I love it.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Damn motomike, that thing is SICK! The Yeti is the bike that I really want, I'm just a little reluctant to give up my trail bike to get one. I wish my hands weren't so messed up, but I can still go jumping and ride slalom type stuff. Thanks for the info, after seeing the Yeti I'm getting anxious.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'd get the yeti for sure, i rode one down a-line in whistler and it was amazingly fun. it's expensive, but hopefully i can afford one someday.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Are you looking to use it for trails (dirt jumps), or actually racing? If you're looking to jump it and not race, maybe look into the Transition Double.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
It would be primarily a jumping a play bike, but I want to be able to race slalom as well. I've still got the BMX bike which I've been jumping on, but I'm a bit of a wuss on it, and there are some places that are just way too much fun on a 26".

I've looked at the Transition, for some reason though I've never really been into their bikes. I just wish the Yeti wasn't so expensive.

chipper

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
sac town
the saddle on the first versus is an sdg I fly seat. great for a race bike. I would try and ride the nemesis project double agent. that thing pedals amazingly it would be awesome for 4x/ds and dirt jumping. its the pest pedaling suspenion bike i have rode and i have rode the yeti and specialized and the nemesis is way nicer in my opinion

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'm about 5'9", does anyone know what size yeti I should be on? I haven't seen anyone with one that I could try out in either size. I found a used short for sale, I just want to try one first.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
So randomly I decided on the Yeti DJ, rather than the 4x. I just can't figure out what size to get. I'm 5'9", what size 2008 DJ are people riding in here?

Yeti says go large, but that seems pretty long compared to other bikes I've been seeing.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i have a long dj from 07, and it's a big bike. i'm about 6'0 and it feels big for a hardtail, still really fun, but i think that i'd be happy on a short too. that means that you should go with a short for sure, it'll just be easier to whip around. a 23.5 inch TT on the long is pretty huge, so i'd almost go so far as to say nobody under 6'0 should even consider the long.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
23.5 seemed really long, but the P3 is 23, and there are some other bikes like the Jackal that says I'm on the short end for the long and the tall side for the short. We have an '06 short DJ frame in the shop built up that feels pretty small though, I know they have changed some things, but I can't seem to find anyone who has a new large one that I can try out.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Yeti all the way. I came off of an Specialized SX to this and the difference is very noticeable with the rear end being about an inch shorter and the travel an inch less. I love it.
MotoMike,

I believe that I PM'ed you a while back about this and didn't hear from you, but would you mind detailing this build? Looks incredible. :thumb:

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I rode a short DJ today, and it seemed pretty short. When I got home from work I got a call that there is no way I should ride a small. Now I'm even more confused, I just want to ride :(

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
just go for the long then. you'll get used to it, i just wish there was an in between size. if the top tube was like 3/4 of an inch shorter it would be perfect for me, but the bike rides really well anyways. i never rode a short, so it could be smaller than i thought.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Damn bikes are crazy! I rode a long around, and it just felt like there was sooooo much space between my feet and my hands.

What I don't understand is that the small Yeti frame is as long as the long Black Market frame. I know one is more of a jumping bike, and one is listed as a 4x bike, but it just seems strange that the long yeti has an inch and a half on the long Black Market.

I'm looking at the Commencal Absolut 4x as well which in a short frame has a 22.6 top tube. The only problem is that my shop has to be listed as a dealer to be able to order the frame, and we have no reason to be a dealer. Any other ideas for a jumper/4x bike?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
How about MOB frame? I know its more of a jump bike, but Carter Holland recommended a 22" frame. I wrote him an email about the new MOB 4x possibility, but I was thinking of putting a 100mm 36 float on it and see how that does. I rode one around a few days ago, it would be awesome jumping, and when I decide to race slalom or 4x every so often I could still make it work.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
last months decline mag had a whole article on how a mob could be in one config a sweet jumping bike and then pretty easily a slick 4x bike in another with only a few changes (most importantly gears).

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
So randomly I decided on the Yeti DJ, rather than the 4x. I just can't figure out what size to get. I'm 5'9", what size 2008 DJ are people riding in here?

Yeti says go large, but that seems pretty long compared to other bikes I've been seeing.
I don't know if this will help you, but here goes:
I looked at the Yeti too, and I was inbetween sizes for what I wanted it for.
I am 5'10. If I was just going to be racing, I would have gone with a long.
But I wanted a hardtail for slalom, Djing, and some trails.
So, I got a new medium Chameleon.
It has a 22.5 inch top tube which is good for what I need.
It feels tiny. I could not imagine going smaller.
Here are some of the other numbers since SC's website geometry is with a 140mm fork.
BB is 12.3 and chainstays are 16.3 (adjustable with the EBB)
Head angle is around 69 with the fork at 100 and the wheelbase is around 42.
Here are some pics: