MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Hmmm....well good for them. I wonder if they can maintain them

Iraq orders 30 737s from Boeing

By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA

The Associated Press

BAGHDAD, Iraq — Iraq on Monday signed two deals worth $5 billion to buy 40 planes from Boeing and 10 planes from Canada's Bombardier to upgrade Iraqi Airways' aging fleet.

The deals were signed by Finance Minister Bayan Jabr in a ceremony attended by Iraq's Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki as well as U.S., British and Canadian diplomats.

The first Boeing plane will be delivered in 2013, Jabr said, while the Canadian company will start delivering the planes later this year.

A Boeing spokesman in Seattle, Peter Conte, said the firm order from Iraq was for 30 Boeing 737-800s worth $2.2 billion at list prices. He said Boeing and Iraq are still finalizing an additional order for 10 new 787s.

"This is seen as among the first steps in re-establishing Iraq's scheduled commercial aviation operations," Conte said.

Al-Maliki said the government was working to improve the country and called for investments in Iraq.

"Today, the process of developing economy has started," al-Maliki said in a speech during the ceremony.

The prime minister invited foreign companies to invest in Iraq to help the government rebuild the battered country.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
there they go again: buying WMD from the west.

hang on to those receipts!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i wonder if they'll have those goofy mecca direction-meters for the observant. i thought my friend who maintained aircraft in saudi couldn't possibly be serious, then he showed the pix.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
i wonder if they'll have those goofy mecca direction-meters for the observant. i thought my friend who maintained aircraft in saudi couldn't possibly be serious, then he showed the pix.
Malaysian Airlines has a similar thing. I'd imagine it'd be the same for all airlines from predominantly Muslim countries.