Quantcast

5th Element Coil Experts - Help!

PequaStu

Chimp
Oct 20, 2004
Trying to get sag dialed.

I'm on a large Heckler, 5th Element 7.875 x 2.0" (200 x 50mm), 275# x 2" Coil. With gear and full Camelback I weigh ~ 190#, pre-load set to max at 8mm (6 turns), 125psi air, I'm at 183mm eye to eye when on the bike. Works out to 34% sag. I'm trying to get to 25% sag w/ max pre-load to ride more XC and be able to back off to 40% for more technical and light freeride.

I need a heavier spring. Thinking 300 or 350 and don't want to spend $$$ on both. Has anyone jumped just 25# on their spring? Will it get me to the 25% sag? Of course I want it all... trying to keep plush ride w/ little bob. Any thoughts?

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
I set sag w/ zero preload on the spring. I adjust the spring rate based on this measurement. I don't preload my springs for any reason. My final spring choice is based on the actual ride not numbers.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Max preload really isn't good for your shock. It can probably handle it, but you're much better off setting your sag up in one place with as little preload as possible, and leaving it there - 40% sag is a lot for a 5" travel bike and there's really no reason for it. Why not just go with a happy medium of about 30-35% and leave it there?

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
I would definitely pony up for the new spring. If you're going to do more XC than DH, buy the #350. Then you'll run much less preload, as well as less air pressure (probably under 100psi).

The springs aren't expensive. Call Progressive directly to order one.

-Brad

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
keen said:
I set sag w/ zero preload on the spring. I adjust the spring rate based on this measurement. I don't preload my springs for any reason. My final spring choice is based on the actual ride not numbers.
How do you set sag if you're not using the preload collar?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
OGRipper said:
How do you set sag if you're not using the preload collar?
Well, obviously he can't adjust the sag without using some preload, but if you're picky about your spring rate, you can get it pretty close to optimal sag without preload.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah I know BV. Makes sense if "change" the spring is what Keen meant by "adjust" the spring rate. Most of us don't have that many springs lying around and it sounded like he was using the air chamber to try to adjust sag, which is not a great approach.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Never said I used air to adjust sag. I measure sag and adjust the spring rate accordingly - you may have to pony up for additional springs, optimal tuning isn't cheap. Sag is a factor in suspension tuning but isn't an end all adjustment. You need to ride the bike to properly gauge the spring rate. I run as little spring as possible but enough to control harsh bottom out, air can be used to further bottom out control.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
I have a Santa Cruz chart infront of me. It's for a Bullit, though. It says you should have a 325-350# spring. I know the 5th Element shocks typically run with more sag than other shocks.
I hope this helps
On-On Stonz

kalaius

Chimp
Oct 14, 2004
Hungary
Hi guys,
I could use a 5th coil service guide or exploded view if you have any...
Problem is that my shock sometimes gets stuck when compressed, and the rear wheel doesn't come back.
THNX