Quantcast

8 sp LX derailleur

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You will need a 9spd derailleur and a 9spd shifter.
shifter yes, dérailleur no.

8 and 9 speed dérailleurs operate within the same range; that is, the cassettes are the same width (note: gear spacing is not the same). the shifter needs to be replaced for 9 speed because they are indexed for a specific number of gears

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
shifter yes, dérailleur no.

8 and 9 speed dérailleurs operate within the same range; that is, the cassettes are the same width (note: gear spacing is not the same). the shifter needs to be replaced for 9 speed because they are indexed for a specific number of gears
This. Your derailleur is fine. You'll need a shifter, a cassette, and a chain. Job done.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought the chainwheels were narrower to accommodate the narrower 9 speed chain? IE 9 speed is backwards compatible, but 8 speed is not. It's probably splitting hairs anyways, but am I wrong?

regardless hold onto your old stuff...there are people out there with a preference for 8!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I thought the chainwheels were narrower to accommodate the narrower 9 speed chain? IE 9 speed is backwards compatible, but 8 speed is not. It's probably splitting hairs anyways, but am I wrong?

regardless hold onto your old stuff...there are people out there with a preference for 8!
chainwheels? wtf? :confused:

you mean dérailleur pulleys? i ran an amalgamation of 9 speed chains on pre-9speed dérailleurs with no issue for years.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
IIRC 8 speed chainrings (or chainwheels) had the exact same tooth size but were a tiny bit closer together and the pins and ramps were different too. 8 and 9 speed cogs were also the same dimensions but were spaced closer together for 9 speed. The inner dimensions of the chains are the same but the outer dimension of 9 speed was narrower. 9 speed derailleurs had slightly narrower jockey wheels and cages.