Quantcast

888 seal removal and installation?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So my seals are shot. I have new seals and oil and I've disassembled the fork. I don't have the proper tools of course (that shiz cost $$)
So I'm working with the basics.

Do I pry the oil seals out with a screwdriver?

How about setting in the oil seals? Tapping them in with a socket and a mallet?

I wish my shop had the freakin tools, but that don't do much DH bike work.:disgust1:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
you essentially have the correct ideas. Pull the lowers and clean them of dirt. dust and oil. a couple of PVC pipe inthe correcd size will help in setting the new seals.

The top seal that you see is a dust wiper and it is just pressed in there. To remove it, you just need to pry it up gently. I like to use soething non metal to do this as a slip with a screwdriver can scratch the crap out of the fork. You might also find it easier to have a small block of some type to set on top of the fork casting to use as a pivot/fulcrum for your prying instrument. (this way you will not be pushing the seal down on one side while prying up on the other).

with this done, the next seal below is the oil seal...only it is held in place with a spring clip. Some needle nose pliers can get the clip out gently and then the oil seal is the same procedure as the dust wiper. The seal will take longer as it is further down in the fork...you might want to pry a little at one location, and then move around 90* or so, pry rotate, pry, rotate..you get the idea...

when done, clean out the are where the seals sit.

Start with installing the oil seal. Cover it with some thin, oil-soluable grease (judy butter, slick honey) and gently start it into the fork. At this point a large socket or PVC that is just smaller than the OD of the seal is a great help to convince the seal to seat all the way down. Be careful as the seal has thin metal inside of it and if the seal is bent it will not seal.

Replace the clip.

Grease the seat of the dust wiper and start it in the casting. This can be set by hand (if your fingers are tough) by slowly working your way around the seal. Just limit your pushing to the flat 'deck' of the seal, not the sealing lip. Again a large socket (open end) or PVC can help seat the seal.

NOW grab a fingerfull of the slick honey and lightly pack the air space between the oil seal and the dust wiper with grease. This will provide seal lube, trap dirt, and generally make the fork smoother.

now just put the fork back together, fill with oil,

and

HUCK!!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Good info Dave.

The oil seals seem really tough to get out. I was trying to pry with a really pussy screwdriver though.

Is 1.25" PVC the closest size? Seems like it'd be.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sorry i do not know the PVC size off the top of my head (got several sizes kicking around for different uses like (crown races). And some of the fittings (female fittings) will give you an 'inbetween' size that can be helpful.

The oil seal is down in there a bit and the angle can make 'prying' a pain for sure. Did you make sure to remove the retainer clip......

You can try to hook something under the seal (auto parts places sell a tool that looks like a flatblade bent into a hook at the end..called a seal puller) and pull/tap upwards with a hammer

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I can't get the damn oil seal out... I even made a little 3x3mm piece of magnesium come off the side opposite the arch on one leg...(...jb weld time!). I'm just going to go to the lbs and have them replace the oil seal with the 'proper' :D tools...