Quantcast

90s bands you liked, but don't see around...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Plenty of good stuff mentioned here. Funny how many of us liked stuff that was more hard edged like Descendents, but still dig on stuff like Mazzy Star and James.

Tanya Donnelly...not so hot, but sounded like she would be the hottest ever. Really dig her and the Belly days.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm listening to the record again...what an incredible piece of work. i was a fan ever since i found a copy of their 2x7" debut, and seeing them on the first trip to Boston (Cambridge, actually)...i wish i still had my Rural Electrification Administration shirt from back in the day.

here's a couple of links to reviews/photos i took from their '08 shows i saw:

http://www.bigtakeover.com/reviews/polvo-with-birds-of-avalon-and-new-radiant-storm-king-the-middle-east-cambridge-ma-friday-june-20-2008

http://www.bigtakeover.com/reviews/all-tomorrows-parties-curated-by-my-bloody-valentine-day-2-kutshers-monticello-ny-friday-sept-19-2008

treesquirrel

Chimp
Jul 12, 2010
The swamp or the darkroom
i'm listening to the record again...what an incredible piece of work. i was a fan ever since i found a copy of their 2x7" debut, and seeing them on the first trip to Boston (Cambridge, actually)...i wish i still had my Rural Electrification Administration shirt from back in the day.

here's a couple of links to reviews/photos i took from their '08 shows i saw:

http://www.bigtakeover.com/reviews/polvo-with-birds-of-avalon-and-new-radiant-storm-king-the-middle-east-cambridge-ma-friday-june-20-2008

http://www.bigtakeover.com/reviews/all-tomorrows-parties-curated-by-my-bloody-valentine-day-2-kutshers-monticello-ny-friday-sept-19-2008
Cool stuff there. I am soooo jealous. You saw them with Shellac too? Nasty! I love anything Steve Albini gets his hands on. Check out Uzeda - Stella if you don't already have them..... pure.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
uzeda is one of those bands i've heard talked about, but have never heard. thanks for the tip, i'll go on a search.

yeah, albini rules.

here's a shot of Albini from last year's ATP, manning the poker table w/ Bradford of Deerhunter also playing

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
GBV is back on the road one last time!

Guided By Voices:

09-30 Austin, TX - East Side Drive *
10-03 Las Vegas, NV - Matador 21
10-04 Los Angeles, CA - Wiltern *
10-05 San Francisco, CA - Warfield *
10-07 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom *
10-09 Seattle, WA - Showbox SoDo *
10-12 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue *
10-13 Chicago, IL - The Vic *
10-15 Newport, KY - Southgate House
10-16 Columbus, OH - Outlands Live
10-21 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
10-22 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle
10-23 Atlanta, GA - Buckhead Theater
11-05 Boston, MA - Paradise ^
11-06 Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero ^
11-07 New York, NY - Terminal 5 ^

* with Times New Viking
^ with Blitzen Trapper

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My wife just took our 8.5 month old fetus (-2 week old baby?) to a Weezer show.

treesquirrel

Chimp
Jul 12, 2010
The swamp or the darkroom
Wow - hey guys...

Cats Cradle is a fantastic venue. it's small and you can get up close without being trampled. I wish I could have seen Sonic Youth there during the Daydream Nation days.

I need some new tunes to add to my collection. tired of the same o'... something loud and nasty..... like the Germs.... I love Darby Crash, it fits.

CHEERS!

ps. it's great you guys are starting your kids off on the right foot and with decent music. My mom did that with me over railroad tracks and the Beatles/Zepplin....

needless to say I can blame her for my recklessness . :D

oh, yeah... and Narlus, I love the Albini poker shot. nothing like a birds eye view.

Last edited: