Quantcast

'99-'02 Rear DeeMax Hub Overhaul

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
I have a set of the old all yellow DeeMax wheels and the rear hub needs an overhaul. I have that funky tool and have gotten the hub taken apart as much as I can.. which is just the bolt on axle taken out and the nondrive side cover thing taken off. I can't figure out how to take off the freewheel or get any deeper. Any one have a write up on how to overhaul this hub?? Thanks.
-J

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I am not 100% sure about the Dee Max (can't remember, its been a while), but on other Mavic hubsm the freehub body attaches to the hub body with an allen bolt like a Shimano. I think that it might also be a 10mm.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
I just got the freehub off. All I had to do was pull it off... I thought it would slide off on it's own. Now my only question is how to replace the bearings? I can't see how to get those suckers out? Maybe tap it out with a hammer? Thanks.
-J

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Have you tried calling Mavic?

I don't know about the Dee Max, but the cheaper Mavic wheels I have worked on have had sealed freehub bodies like a Shimano. As for the bearings, are you talking about the bub bearings or freehub bearings? On every cart bearing hub I have seen, you just hammer out the bearings. Keep in mind that the hammering usually kills them. They will still turn, but will have pitted races from the side loading.