Quantcast

9Spd kind of sucks. 8Spd?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So my chain thread brought up a good point. 9spd sucks and really doesn't work for DH. YMMV, but what's required to go back to 8spd? Chain cassette and shifter, obviously, but do I need a new dérailleur or freehub, or are they compatible?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
chain cassette and shifter is all that is needed. everything else is compatible
thanks dude. fact is I don't need 9 gears, and from what I understand most of the 8/7/6 stuff is all compatible, so there's no need to reduce further.

I've been thinking about upgrading shifters soon, and I might need a new Der to go with that...plus I broke my chain...might be a good time to just switch.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
chain cassette and shifter is all that is needed. everything else is compatible
I would suggest against 9 speed chain with an 8 speed cassette. It will work, but not as well as 8 speed chain.

Sandwich, what is your primary complaint with 9 speed?
Do you feel it's more gears than necessary?
Do you prefer the robustness of 8 speed chain (I.E. are you snapping chains)?
Do you feel that the shifting of 8 speed is better?

I ask because I've messed with 8 speed stuff quite a bit.

If you prefer to run fewer gears, but have no problem with the 9 speed chain strength or shifting crispness, you can simply remove your least favorite gears from your cassette and run lightweight aluminum spacers in their place. Be sure to use your limit screws to accommodate this!

If you prefer 8 speed for shifting or strength reasons, you can just as easily run spacers here to remove gears.

I used 8 speed chain and cassette with all but my 3 favorite gears removed for 3 seasons of slalom/4x, works very well and it's nice to have the gears you want in the order you want.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Mostly because I don't feel the need for 9 gears, and it seems like shimano compromised the strength of the chains to shrink it to fit 9 gears. The best shifting bike I've ever had was a 3x9 brand new all-shimano drivetrain, but my DH bike is seriously suffering.

I figure I'll make the switch primarily because I need a new shifter, as I'm currently running gripshift and I just don't like it for DH. Along with that, the derailleur is 1:1, and I prefer shimano shifters, so I may need a new one of those as well. Lastly, I just broke my chain, and the lack of a quality 9 speed chain manufacturer is surprising and extremely disappointing. It seems that everybody, from the high end KMCs, the XTRs, and the wippermans, all suck for certain people and do just fine for others. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I'd rather move to something that works just fine for everybody.

I guess I'm just after something that's a little less fickle, and since I extremely rarely find myself using EVERY gear in a day, I usually find the sweet spot and use the lowlow gears to go uphill. Lastly, I don't race so I don't need a corn cob cassette for the perfect ratio.

Mostly because I don't feel the need for 9 gears, and it seems like shimano compromised the strength of the chains to shrink it to fit 9 gears. The best shifting bike I've ever had was a 3x9 brand new all-shimano drivetrain, but my DH bike is seriously suffering.

I figure I'll make the switch primarily because I need a new shifter, as I'm currently running gripshift and I just don't like it for DH. Along with that, the derailleur is 1:1, and I prefer shimano shifters, so I may need a new one of those as well. Lastly, I just broke my chain, and the lack of a quality 9 speed chain manufacturer is surprising and extremely disappointing. It seems that everybody, from the high end KMCs, the XTRs, and the wippermans, all suck for certain people and do just fine for others. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I'd rather move to something that works just fine for everybody.

I guess I'm just after something that's a little less fickle, and since I extremely rarely find myself using EVERY gear in a day, I usually find the sweet spot and use the lowlow gears to go uphill. Lastly, I don't race so I don't need a corn cob cassette for the perfect ratio.
It seems like your biggest issue with your shifting has been your maintenance. You yourself said your chain broke because of something loose in the derailleur. Have you changed your cables and housing recently? (won't affect chain breakage but makes a significant change to your shifting). You are also going to wear out a chain a lot faster if you are trying to climb on a single ringed bike...dh or slalom. my guess is you are standing and using power to go up the hill instead of a normal setup where you can sit and spin. Yet another way you are going to wear a chain a lot faster.

9spd works great for anyone who is willing to perform basic maintenance on their bike and keep an eye on things. A loose der will screw up any shifting. bad cables and housing as well. that isnt an issue of 9 vs 8 vs 7/6 whatever. maintain your bike, and it will work a lot better for a lot longer.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
You could do what I do and run 7 speed but with 9 speed spacing. I just leave spacers on the inside and outside of the gear cluster, inside to leave more space so the derailer doesn't go into the spokes on the lower gears and space on the outside because sram derailers dont like to go into that gear when they've been hit hard. I run a standard 9speed chain and cassete[minus 2 cogs] and standard 9 speed shifter.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Lastly, I just broke my chain, and the lack of a quality 9 speed chain manufacturer is surprising and extremely disappointing. It seems that everybody, from the high end KMCs, the XTRs, and the wippermans, all suck for certain people and do just fine for others.
What kind of chain did you break, did a link slide off of a pin? Did it have a power-link? or the special-shimano pin when it was installed?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nope, wasn't a matter of maintenance. The chain was in pretty good shape, the cassette is in good shape, and the derailleur, while old, is in good working order. It could probably use a tuneup and new cable, but I had it shifting fine. The reason the derailleur was loose was because I had switched axle mounting plates, and probably failed to tighten it properly, or something along those lines. It was the first ride of the season.

I broke a shimano hg92, which I believe is the XT level 9spd chain. The link split open so it was bent, and the other side was off the pin on one side. It was on a factory link/pin. No powerlink or replacement pin.

To JamesDC11, my point is why not go to 8spd, where you get wider tolerances, and a more durable chain, and still remove one cog? I know modern stuff is the bees knees, but Sram still makes attack shifters and Shimano XT shifters for 8spd. Cassettes up to 5 level in Sram or NOS shimano items...

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I run a X9 shifter, X9 derailleur, shimano 8spd casette and 8spd chain. It shifts fine, much better than the 105 derailleur and stx shifter with same cassette and chain.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I run a X9 shifter, X9 derailleur, shimano 8spd casette and 8spd chain. It shifts fine, much better than the 105 derailleur and stx shifter with same cassette and chain.
I dont know what your defenition is of fine, but the spacing between the gears isnt the same between 8 and 9 sp systems, the shifter moves the chain different Distances between cogs. there is no way you can have that shift properly throughout the range of the cassette

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
I didn't read the chain thread but what it sounds like is either improper setup and/or lack of maintainence. You said it yourself that the best shifting setup you ever used was a 3x9. An improperly setup 8 speed is going to shift just as badly as an improperly setup 9 speed.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I run Sram X5(old X7)and Sram XO mech and whatever casette all 8 speed on my BMW. On my other bikes I run the same everything but 6 speed on a Profile single speed hub(dissssshhhhless)and I've just bought a Hadley single speed to also build up 6speed.
8 speed is better, more reliable, and bigger clunkier more obvious shifts, I prefer it.
On the Racelink, the rubber chainsaty gaurd can foul an 11 speed cassette cog if the chain runs over it. Make sure it's tight and out of the way. I personally removed it and run a stick on one instead.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
An improperly setup 8 speed is going to shift just as badly as an improperly setup 9 speed.
Not true. Because of the slightly wider tolerances of 8 speed, you can be slightly less perfect in your setup, and get away with it. Myself, I prefer running a SRAM 8 speed X-7 trigger, and whatever deraileur you want. I find that the 1:1 ratio stuff allows for a less precise setup, or at least one thats more tolerant to mud and off-tension. I just really, really wish 8 speed x.9 or even x.0 shifters were available.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
After running 9 speed for a few years, I've made the shift back to 8.

I like 8 much better, it's stronger, and much more forgiving after your drivetrain hits rocks, branches, and mud.
Favorite setup I've yet run is an 8 speed/Saint m801. Fookin indestructable.

Although... if Sram got off their collective asses and issued an 8 speed XO trigger with 890/891 level cassette, I'd definately be tempted by the darkside and buy a pretzely Sram drivetrain.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Actuall just the cassette and shifter is all that is needed, even the nine speed chain is compatible
This is wrong. I can't believe you work at a bike shop.
While it might spin and make movements that resemble shifts, it certainly doesn't work even close to as well as it could. You give a guy **** for running a 9sp shifter on an 8sp cassette, and then tell somebody to run a 9sp chain? WTF?

Besides, the main advantage of an 8sp system is the stronger chain.

To the OP, I switched back to 8sp on my DH bike last year. The cassettes are lighter and cheaper. Good shifters are hard to find. If you can settle for X7 quality, the attack shifter with a 105 or better derailluer is a decent setup.
My chain life is at least triple what it was before. This is more of a convenience factor than anything.
Also, I bent the piss out of my Dura-ace derailluer and it shifts fine after man-handling it back to "straight enough".

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Not trying to be too :spam: but I have a set of 8sp shifters and a derailleur I don't need. I know you said you were thinking about shimano, but I have a SRAM 9.0 rear mech with either 9.0 or x.0 shifters. Might even have a cassette too. Just don't need them anymore if you're interested.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
definitely interested...I now have two 9.0 mechs, one classic and one more modern, so I could be swayed into using SRAM products pretty easily. I need triggers though, I have no desire to run gripshifts again.

PM me what you got. I might be able to swing down and pick it up some time, or if you're going to a mountain I can meet you there. Thanks for the heads up.

____________________________________________________________________________________

OK, so shifters,
I can get XT level, X.5, or Attack. Are any of these any good, and which would you pick? Like I said, I have a couple of SRAM derailleurs but prefer the shimano trigger/thumb setup.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
While it might spin and make movements that resemble shifts, it certainly doesn't work even close to as well as it could. You give a guy **** for running a 9sp shifter on an 8sp cassette, and then tell somebody to run a 9sp chain? WTF?

".
I said it was compatible, in a responce to.... What would I need. I never said it would be perfect, But hey its not like I have never seen it done, and never seen it work just fine. Does this mean the shimano reccomended 10 sp chain on my road bike wont work at all because its a nine speed cassette??? Wioth 10sp derailers front and rear.

I didnt pull this info out of my a$$, I got it talking to Shimano tech. The derailer still pulls the same amount. Do I thikn he should, probably not, do I belive it works without problems, YES. Because I have tested it myself on my own bikes.

In responce to the 9 sp shifter on an 8 sp cassette, there is no way its going to shift properly at all, your shifter isnt going to pull the chain far enough through all the gears. Thats simple fact.

Edit.... Maybe I should have been more clear, if your going to keep you 9sp derailer, you should use the 9sp chain, seeing how the chain is wider, and wont roll in the derailer properly.

Edit2...... Truth be told, if your getting a new cassette, you really should be getting a new chain anyways....Reguardless.....

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia

My 8 speed sram set up works fine with a 9 speed chain. It may be more accurate with an 8 speed chain, but the 9 works fine for me. I'm only running it because I have it, and I will use an 8spd chain next,but my current set up is more reliable than a complete 9spd set up IMO.
I'd only recomend 9spd chain if you already have a near new one, otherwise just buy the correct 8spd one as it will change gears minutely quicker..

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My 8 speed sram set up works fine with a 9 speed cassette. It may be more accurate with an 8 speed chain, but the 9 works fine for me. I'm only running it because I have it, and I will use an 8spd chain next,but my current set up is more reliable than a complete 9spd set up IMO.
I'd only recomend 9spd chain if you already have a near new one, otherwise just buy the correct 8spd one as it will change gears minutely quicker..
By 9 sp cassette, you mean 9 sp chain right???

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Well Dirty Mike, I am not recomending my setup or regurgitating industry "info" but when I start in the largest cog and press the upshift button once...guess what..., it shifts one cog at a time all the way to the smallest cog and vice versa. Maybe I got lucky, but say what you want, it works and I have not lost the chain yet.

It depends on your budget. There may be something that is more ideal but I didn't want to replace anything that I didn't have to.I gave it a try and and it works well enough that I am getting the gears that I want, when I want them, quickly. Just giving personal experience, nothing more.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Edit.... Maybe I should have been more clear, if your going to keep you 9sp derailer, you should use the 9sp chain, seeing how the chain is wider, and wont roll in the derailer properly.

Well, since they don't really make 8sp derailluers anymore, 9sp is really your only choice. I don't think the .2mm is gonna cause the chain to not fit through the cage.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well Dirty Mike, I am not recomending my setup or regurgitating industry "info" but when I start in the largest cog and press the upshift button once...guess what..., it shifts one cog at a time all the way to the smallest cog and vice versa. Maybe I got lucky, but say what you want, it works and I have not lost the chain yet.

It depends on your budget. There may be something that is more ideal but I didn't want to replace anything that I didn't have to.I gave it a try and and it works well enough that I am getting the gears that I want, when I want them, quickly. Just giving personal experience, nothing more.
And I was pointing out you listed it as workign perfectly, which is not possible, if you truly have a 9SP shifter, on an 8sp cassette, we have had this discussion many times here

If it truly is shifting perfectly, then you eiterh have an 8 sp shifter, or you have a cutdown nine speed cassette

As Build your own said, 8spd shifter+8Spd spacers.
The reason to run it is to get a dishless stiffer rear wheel without having any extra gears you don't use. If anything,your statement was even more flawed,you probably could nearly set up a 9 speed shifter to work with 6X 8 speed sprockets. Wouldn't be ideal,but you could get it fairly close. Best to stick with 8spd shifter+8Spd spacers and 9spd shifter+9Spd spacers.
I wish 7 speed never got phased out.
Obviously 'perfect' to you is a loose term. The spacing from one cog to the next and thus the offset from one gear to another in your shifter is not the same for 9 vs 8 vs 7 speed. 7 speed = 5mm cog to cog, 8 speed = 4.8 mm cog to cog, 9 speed = 4.34 mm cog to cog.

Best case scenario (center at mid cog) you are off by 2.1 mm at the highest and lowest cog. Worst case, you are off by twice this (4.2mm) at one end. Either way, something is mis-alligned and going to wear.

This 'works' because of the built in slop of the jockey pulley.