Quantcast

A few interesting things at the Giro

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
According to the rules, Bettini was in wrong by coming off his line in the last 200m. But it looked like Cooke was trying to pass thru a 3 foot gap between Bettini and the fence. Not smart...

CoMo

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
SoCal
Not to mention he took one hand off the bars to try and push Bettini drifting himself into the barriers as well. Oh well thats racing I guess, well roady racing at least.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I read about that earlier today. It sounds like both of them were wiggin' out. That sucks since I like both of the riders involed.

I can't wait until they hit the high peaks. The first week of any grand tour is a rolling landmine...throw some verticality into the equation and things smooth out fast.

splat

Nam I am
I really like Cooke , and While it looks like he didn't pick the best line trying to thread the needle like that .

I must say he showed some restraint and class ( especilly since he was Pissed! ) by just walking away Bettini whaen he tried to explain him self.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
JRogers said:
Just a bad situation for both- Bettini gets dq'd for making an honest tiny mistake, Cooke gets wrecked when he had a legit shot at the win.
A tiny mistake? He started in the middle of the road and finished on the far left!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/8025.0.html

Christian Vande Velde's Diary. He has some interesting things to say about the Bettini / Cooke incident.

We were pretty relaxed and just riding easy. Suddenly everyone decides to start tossing water bottles, making a little game of it, throwing them at signs at street signs or whatever. Well, Rory (Sutherland of Rabobank) and I are just riding along and he suddenly decides to pitch one at a police car! He hit the damn thing square on the grill.

I guess it's one of those "You know when you're in Calabria..." moments, because the cop immediately went for his gun!

Fortunately, he decided it was probably not a good idea to plug someone riding along in the peloton of the Giro d'Italia.
If you read about or saw that one moment with a little more than 40km to go, you'll know what I'm talking about. We were cruising along nicely and suddenly everything comes to a screeching halt and I look up and these two total lunatics are running through the peloton, kicking and swinging at anyone within range.

I literally ran into one of the two guys. This was a meth' case, if I ever saw one. There was absolutely nothing going on behind his eyeballs. It was pretty scary. It was one of those situations where you have no idea what to do. You want to take a swing at the guy, but you don't know... It wouldn't be worth it. One of the crazy SOBs actually punched one rider pretty hard.

It took everyone a few minutes to get things together again. In my case, my adrenaline went through the roof! I flew for the next hundred meters or so and then I just had an implosion. I think that incident had the same effect on everyone. It was one of those things you always think could happen but doesn't... and then, on Tuesday, it actually did.

Bettini was telling us this (Wednesday) morning that he got excited and threw a water bottle at the one guy.

"Then I suddenly thought, ‘oh ****! I have 40k to go and no more water'" he said.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
DRB said:
http://www.velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/8025.0.html

Christian Vande Velde's Diary. He has some interesting things to say about the Bettini / Cooke incident.

Unreal. Some people just plain suck.:eek:
That's always been the one setback about the intimacy of pro cycling. I hope those idiots get what they deserve...if not more. If they don't set an example with them, then other morons will not hesitate to do likewise at future races.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heidi said:
A tiny mistake? He started in the middle of the road and finished on the far left!
I haven't seen any pictures or read accounts that said Bettini swerved that much. Did you see this on video?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I didn't watch it, just read about it. I am sure they will show it on this weekend's coverage of the Giro on OLN...if you get it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Unreal. Some people just plain suck.:eek:
That's always been the one setback about the intimacy of pro cycling. I hope those idiots get what they deserve...if not more. If they don't set an example with them, then other morons will not hesitate to do likewise at future races.
You make this incident sound unprecedented. Sprints are always like that, shoulder to shoulder, elbow to elbow.

Cipollini has punched riders and thrown water bottles as well. While he has been punished, it did not stop him from doing these things up to the end of his career.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heidi said:
I didn't watch it, just read about it. I am sure they will show it on this weekend's coverage of the Giro on OLN...if you get it.
I get OLN, but on the West Coast it is on at 2pm, right while I am riding! I am going to have to buy one of those VCR's!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
indieboy said:
am i the only one who really thinks bettini got hosed?
I'm on the fence since I didn't actually see it - the photos I've seen dont' say much either way. All the reactions I've heard from those that saw it go both ways.
Unless Cooke was beside him when he swung left, I'd have to say Bettini has every right to move that way. I'm not a racer, but I would believe the lead sprinter would want to close off one side or the other to force the pass to a particular side - which is what I'm guessing Bettini was trying to do. Cooke, seeing that, probably should have made some effort to swing around Bettini's right. From most accounts, it sounds like Cooke was trying to squeeze into a gap that wasn't there. I would have to guess they'll replay it on OLN tomorrow in between shameless CTS/Lance plugs.
Regardless, I'm definitely let down by Bettini's display on the podium.:stosh:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
indieboy said:
am i the only one who really thinks bettini got hosed?
No, I saw it today on OLN, and it didn't look bad at all. If they are going to disqualify for that, they better start painting lanes on the finish straights.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
http://www.velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/8035.0.html

This morning (Friday) after a few Fast Freddie coffees on the bus, Dave decided that we need something different to listen to. We'd been listening tot he same CDs over and over again, when Dave suddenly remembered a good mix of music that he had burned onto a CD four years ago when we were on Postal. We had called it the "Four Days of Dirk" (as in Demol) and Dave was sure that the team still had in on their bus - the same rig with a new Discovery Channel paint job. So he decides he wants his CD back.

Dave runs into the Discovery bus, obviously without asking permission to get on, and starts digging around in the CD collection. He runs into Savoldelli and Dave basically tells him to "shut the $#@& up, if you know what's good for you," and keeps searching for the CD.

I'm pretty sure Savoldelli had no idea what he was talking about.

After his hunt for the CD - successful it turns out - we head over to the sign-in and Dave proceeds to shout at everyone he sees. He didn't care who he shouted to. He just wanted to try out what little Italian he's learned from Giovanni (Lombardi) on anyone he saw, be they Dutch, French, German or Italian.

"Italy is cool!" or whatever popped into his head.

He then sprints to the village and straight to the Enervit booth, telling me "Hey man, this is the best tent in the village. You can eat and drink for free." And then he sets about bothering the poor girl who happened to be working the booth that day.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Silver said:
No, I saw it today on OLN, and it didn't look bad at all. If they are going to disqualify for that, they better start painting lanes on the finish straights.
I saw it today too. I'm still on the fence. YES, he blatently started in the middle of the lane and ended on the left. Did you do it on purpose? Who knows. His feeble excuse about the chain slipping is what gets me. LAME

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
DRB said:
We had called it the "Four Days of Dirk" (as in Demol) and Dave was sure that the team still had in on their bus - the same rig with a new Discovery Channel paint job. So he decides he wants his CD back.

Dave runs into the Discovery bus, obviously without asking permission to get on, and starts digging around in the CD collection. He runs into Savoldelli and Dave basically tells him to "shut the $#@& up, if you know what's good for you," and keeps searching for the CD.

I'm pretty sure Savoldelli had no idea what he was talking about.

After his hunt for the CD - successful it turns out
Apparently that's just what he needed.....

Zabriskie wins the stage (ITT) from Ivan Basso (+17) and Paolo Savoldelli (+44). Fantastic ride by the US TT champ from CSC. And Basso's work has more than erased the damage done yesterday.
Way to go Z.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Danielson came to the Giro for experience - unfortunately, he got to experience the hazardous side of the grand tour. That sucks. I'm sure he would have been a huge asset to Savoldelli in the mountains...even a potential stage-winner in those same stages.
Petacchi fans finally have something to cheer about - or can at least breathe a sigh of relief. I was beginning to think he'd have to wait until the final sprint into Milan (if he survived the mountains) for a win.
I'd still like to see Zabel steal a win somewhere down the road. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one, but it'd sure be nice.

The REAL race starts soon!:D

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The Toninator said:
hahahha that was a good read. Here' something i didnt know

But this year, the UCI has extended that one-kilometer rule - where you get the same time as the group you're with in the event of a mishap or delay - to three kilometers
Yah, that's why that one dude, was it Garzelli???? just sat there and looked around when he crashed towards the end.