Quantcast

A few questions

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Hey guys/gals,

I am currently deployed to Kuwait, but when I get back I want to start riding more on the road. I have two bikes. One a Giant full sus trail bike and an older (I am thinking maybe from the mid-late 90's) GT bike that was labeled as a hybrid. It has the same crankset as the Giant. I want to upgrade to a bigger, more road friendly crank. How would I go about doing this? I know very little about gear sizes and deraileur positioning so bear with me. It has been a while since I have posted also. Before I got sent here I would mostly trail ride. Almost every day I would go hit the trails. But when I get home I want to take up golf again and would rather hit the road to save time from having to drive to the trails. Any info that you all could pass on to me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Parker

Aug 31, 2006
I wouldn't bother upgrading the crank. The big ring on a road crank is 52, typically, and a mtb crank is 44... really, not that much of a difference. Do it if you find the bike really comfortable and a ride you want to keep and use.

Otherwise, ride your mtb on the pavement until you're ready to explore something else (eg. roadie or cx ride).

And if you're going to commute to the golf course, you might enjoy the mtb crank on steeper hills with your clubs in a trailer :)

PS: golf? Seriously?

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Yeah golf. I suck, but I have a personal goal when I get back, so I am going to try my hand at it again.

Ok, so another question. The GT has the standard 26 inch mtb tires only the center part of the tread has little or no tread. Not from it becoming bald. I think it is called a hybrid tire. Maybe that is why the bike was called hybird. It has big knobs on the corners of the tire for moderate trail riding.

Would it be feasible to try to get some more road worthy tires? Like skinny slicks? Like I said I am new so please bear with me.

Thanks,

Parker

Aug 31, 2006
You can very nearly make your hybrid a road bike, but it's just not worth the money to make many changes.

A slick tire is a good idea, but there's nothing wrong with the hybrid tire either... especially if you're commuting with golf clubs.

Put it this way, if you're actually riding enough to seriously think about making modifications to your hybrid, then it's time for you to think about buying a roadie that fits better.

:)

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Oh yeah, I am not going to be carrying golf clubs on the bike. Sorry for misleading.

So, does anyone want to help me with some excuses to tell the wife when I want a new bike?

Aug 31, 2006
buy her a comfort/cruiser bike. Take her on a lovely ride to a picnic, something short, fun, scenic and safe.

Do that for a while, get her addicted to riding, then you won't need an excuse... just more money to buy her more bikes and gear :)

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Hmmm, she wanted a bike a while back to trail ride so we just got her a Schwinn for the time being. I think she might bite. Thanks.