Quantcast

"A" LIST TRAILS-post canyon

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
Hit post canyon up on saturday. Little chilly out, but blue skies :) Those trails kick arse :thumb: Gotta be one of the top trails for freeride stunts and drops. It's definitely on my top 3 list. Not as techy, rocky, and rooty, and steep as the "shore" but the stunts and drops are top notch :dancing: I'm all over those drops and can't stop grinning; I think my cheeks still hurt from too much grinnin!!!! ONE HELLA OF GOOD TIME.
Anybody into drops,and flow, and stunts and flow, you got to make it down there. And besides all that, the stuff is all legal to build upon. With a little wire mesh on some of the skinnies and log rides, it would be doable all winter. We hit it pretty good and there were only a few stunts and drops that were too frozen and slippery wet to ride safely (ha ha if any skinnies are actually safe).
I'll be back......for more! Took about 3 hours to get there from Tacoma.

HIT IT UP

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
where exactly is this... north or south of tacoma?

i live near bothell.

is it shuttleable or do you hike it?

is it hard to find?

whats the deal ive never heard of this trail(s)

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
It's about a half hour East of Portland,OR. That would be south of Tacoma s dub. Took me about 3 hours to get there from Tacoma. That would be going about 75-80mph through parts of I-5 :evil:
It is shuttleable and shuttling is recommended. There are actually two different areas to ride in the area. One area where the "frankenstein" trail is located has three shorter trails that one could session quite easily.
IMO, installing some wire mesh on the log rides and skinnies would make these stunts all rideable in any conditions. I'm just a little psycho though!!!!

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Been there a couple times. Good stuff. Next time down inquire about the Sincline trail just across the river. Here's a couple pics of the Post Canyon area. Not sure what trail it is.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Post Canyon is in Hood river, exit 62 off of I-84 along the Columbia river. Awesome place, if you come down buy a GFRA trail map from either shop in Hood river to know where the trails are. AND, the 5 bucks you spend goes straight to the source of these great trails- GFRA.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Bullitrider said:
Been there a couple times. Good stuff. Next time down inquire about the Sincline trail just across the river. Here's a couple pics of the Post Canyon area. Not sure what trail it is.
WOW, that's an OLD picture. That was drop zone, way before the new stuff was built. Now there's 3 drops, a couple doubles and a couple hips.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
You're right. We noticed the beginnings of some stuff being built then. Must be pimp now! The really big stuff above that area should be finished now too I would imagine.

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
seems like a LONG trip is it worth it? i mean theres a trail up here that has tons of shore type stunts, there is only one trail though and you have to hike it.

how long does it take to go down the trail once? and how big is HUGE stuff?

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
The best way to visit is to stay for a few days. We rented a sweet house overlooking the gorge 5 mins out of Hood River. It had a hot tub on the deck, a bbq and a kitchen with all the utensils. Sweet place.

We just sessioned a few spots. I saw some gaps under construction that were 20-25 ft? There was some elevated stuff, bridges and log rides too. Can't wait to get back and see what else is there. :evil:

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
s-dub........it is definately worth it. i'm a local here in hood river, and the trails rock! if you shuttle the main trails, it takes about 2 hrs if you take your time on the stunts, re-ride some, take a break, and heckle at your buddies. But that is just one area (ONT to post canyon). You can easily spend 1 day riding all the area has.....as was mentioned Frankenstien,Skidder,East Jesus,Postal,Mitchell Ridge,Toilet Bowl, Family Man, etc. I would drive 4 hrs to ride, for sure!! I am planning a trip to Whistler and Shore next summer, but it is hard to go when i got it all in my backyard!!

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
MotoXmg said:
s-dub........it is definately worth it. i'm a local here in hood river, and the trails rock! if you shuttle the main trails, it takes about 2 hrs if you take your time on the stunts, re-ride some, take a break, and heckle at your buddies. But that is just one area (ONT to post canyon). You can easily spend 1 day riding all the area has.....as was mentioned Frankenstien,Skidder,East Jesus,Postal,Mitchell Ridge,Toilet Bowl, Family Man, etc. I would drive 4 hrs to ride, for sure!! I am planning a trip to Whistler and Shore next summer, but it is hard to go when i got it all in my backyard!!
Dude, you're making me freakin' jealous! Can't wait to get back there next month, hopefully it won't be covered in snow.

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
Ahhh.....GorgeChris knows what I'm talkin about!!!! Its not all roses Chris, I just had a cast and pin removed from my thumb this week! I took a digger up on x-chorus-x and been doin my time for 6-weeks. But now on my way back! I'm hoping I'll be back in action in a few weeks! Mike

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
MotoXmg said:
Ahhh.....GorgeChris knows what I'm talkin about!!!! Its not all roses Chris, I just had a cast and pin removed from my thumb this week! I took a digger up on x-chorus-x and been doin my time for 6-weeks. But now on my way back! I'm hoping I'll be back in action in a few weeks! Mike
Dude, that sucks! Thumbs are bad to injure; it's hard to do things without them. You'll have to show me all the stuff that's been built in the last couple of months.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
s dub said:
seems like a LONG trip is it worth it? i mean theres a trail up here that has tons of shore type stunts, there is only one trail though and you have to hike it.

how long does it take to go down the trail once? and how big is HUGE stuff?
Yo man, I drove out there from VIRGINIA this summer and it was worth it.

Okay, I was on my way to whistler but it was still probably the highlight of the trip. There's a ton of trails, some BIG stuff, and plenty of not-dumbed-down stuff. Next time I go to whistler I'm flying into Portland and hittin up PC on the way.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
MotoXmg said:
Ouch. I broke my thumb a few years ago and spent 4 weeks in a cast, thankfully I was young enough that I didn't need surgury. It sucked. Look into some kind of thumb brace, having something on there feels better and adds some confidence (at least for me, I still wear mine. It's a soft brace with plastic down the outside of my thumb, it's called a "thumb thing"). It also braces my wrist, I broke that a couple years ago too. On the same hand.

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
thanks for the tip Zane......hopefully wont have further problems, but i'll see as time goes on. I can thank a ladder rung for the mishap! PC still rocks regardless!!

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Went to PC on Sunday. Frozen stunts were a bit of an issue, but one could hit most of them. The upper portions were tacky, but lower portions were slop. It was my first time riding at this area, and I went with some folks that didn't really know their way around. I would love to head out there with some folks from this board with better senses of direction. We had a map, but the map doesn't say "take a left at the six inch hole in the bushes, 426 feet down the road after the crazy woodsman picking mushrooms gives you the peace sign." Does anyone know if they have trail signs and such in the works, or is it lower-key than that?

When is the next time a group from this board will be out there?

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
sam_little said:
Does anyone know if they have trail signs and such in the works, or is it lower-key than that?
Last I heard, Hood River County, which owns the land, was working with the local riders to make the trails legit. I'm not sure if that includes signage, though. You could also contact the County Forester and check in on their progress on such matters.

On a side note, the County has been a freakin' amazing partner in this process. Late last year they started to become concerned about over-useage of their forest lands. However, instead of shutting things down (like most jurisdictions would do), they organized a group of riders, hikers, XC skiers, moto users, and equestrians to help put together some standards.

Why? Because they care about recreation, and they care about tourist dollars. They would be pleased to hear that there are riders coming from miles around to use their lands, because it means money into the local economy. So, next time y'all come out, please respect the land, respect the trails, and fill up yer gas tank. Your actions will directly contribute to the continued availability of such an awesome resource. Thanks!

sam_little said:
When is the next time a group from this board will be out there?
Sorry, man, I'm outta' town for a couple more weeks.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Once the place dries out a bit I'll be back out there, whenever that may be. I rode there the weekend before thanksgiving, and almost everything was either too wet or too frozen to ride. Made for some interesting crashes.

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
sam_little.........i would be glad to show you around, but i'm still on the mend from a broken thumb. So realistically, now that i'm outta of the 'ol cast, probably be another month before i would consider going, then just watchin weather and conditions! It is a lil difficult getting everything figured out, but once you do, it's great!!!!! Mike