Quantcast

a local dh builder......

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
This guy's in my home town. I've met him a few times, and he's very cool. His name is Steve Delay, I'm sure a few monkey's have met him, as he hits up most of the west coast races. He used to come in to the sh!thole shop I worked at. I knew he had done a few one off cromo dh frames, apparently he's selling them now. I think he is registered here or on mtbr as crazystevedh or somethin like that.

Anyway, the site isSWD Racing . Check it out..........

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
I'm sure that guy is cool and everything... but I'm sorry, that DH frame is pretty ugly if you ask me. And looks are what it's all about these days isn't it?

bwagner

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Baltimore, Maryland
I like the looks of a nice steel ride. It's cool to see something different in a SEA of copycat M1's and stuff with the same old design. Ithink it's a nice simple steel single pivot bike, just what you might need, and not much more. KUDOS to Steve for doing his own thing and keepin' it REAL!!!

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Originally posted by smedford
The hartail looks like a nice frame.
Agreed, the hardtail looks pretty cool. Except I don't especially like the rear dropout area and the disc brake tabs. I'm sure over time his frames will become more stylish. Just look at the early Intense frames, but now they are some of the best looking frames in the industry. But after all, it costs more money to add style, which is probably why the SWD frames look plain.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
I've known steve for years... Real cool guy who just loves riding and building bikes. Its all home made and they are real nice.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by AZRacerX
I'm sure that guy is cool and everything... but I'm sorry, that DH frame is pretty ugly if you ask me. And looks are what it's all about these days isn't it?
LOL, make sure you never say that about a Turner or any other big name manufacture, people here will start crying:rolleyes:

Dreyzar

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Santa Cruz
squarewheels said:
:stupid:
yeah, how much they cost?
They're surprisingly affordable for a full custom job, imo. The hardtail is $450 and the Crazy 8 is ~ $1500.
The hardtail includes powdercoat in any color, full custom geometery, dropout and brake mount options.
DH frame price also includes powdercoat in any color, pivot kit, romic shock with ti spring, rear hub, and, again, full custom geometery.
Steve can also do pretty much whatever you might want, be it a 1.5 headtube, bmx bb, tubing options, etc. Plus he's a great guy to deal with. :thumb:

That hardtail on the site is mine, btw. Its totally sweet :D

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
so, its all Cromo tubing? the welds look like they were mig welded, i thought that cromo needed tig welding? the welds look a little sloppy, but i am sure they are strong.
Shane

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
paranoid56 said:
so, its all Cromo tubing? the welds look like they were mig welded, i thought that cromo needed tig welding? the welds look a little sloppy, but i am sure they are strong.
Shane
TIG and MIG are essentially the same process. With TIG, an arc is formed between the electrode and the material, and you feed the filler in with your hand. With MIG, the filler is the electrode and it is fed in at a set rate. This means that TIG is slower but you have more control over how much filler you are using. This helps you from over filling the joint. That's why MIG welds look like they came out of a caulking gun.

IMO, the guy has some interesting ideas, but he has a lot to learn about welding and framebuilding and suspension designs. Those bikes look like and old proflex with a romic shoved in there.

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
yea, i know that :D i just remember reading in one of my welding books that cromo should not be welded with mig, and only tig. i thought it was somthing about how the metal was heated up duing the welding process.
Shane

buildyourown said:
TIG and MIG are essentially the same process. With TIG, an arc is formed between the electrode and the material, and you feed the filler in with your hand. With MIG, the filler is the electrode and it is fed in at a set rate. This means that TIG is slower but you have more control over how much filler you are using. This helps you from over filling the joint. That's why MIG welds look like they came out of a caulking gun.

IMO, the guy has some interesting ideas, but he has a lot to learn about welding and framebuilding and suspension designs. Those bikes look like and old proflex with a romic shoved in there.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Dreyzar said:
Short White Dude Racing
(Well, its actually his initials, but yeah thats probably him)
Ah... Yeah, I've seen him EVERYWHERE.
Pacifica, N*, Sandhill, GGG, and even 007 (basslake) I think.

Cool guy.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
paranoid56 said:
yea, i know that :D i just remember reading in one of my welding books that cromo should not be welded with mig, and only tig. i thought it was somthing about how the metal was heated up duing the welding process.
Shane

Well you CAN weld cromo with MIG, but no respectable weldor would.
I design stuff at work and you have to specify TIG or else the vendor will get cheap and MIG it. I have no say over which vendors we use.
Also, MIG creates a lot more splatter than TIG which is ugly and a no no on thin wall tubing.

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
well, i konw i have welded on thin wall, and it comes out nice as long as you hav the heat turned up. no where near a nice tig weld, but nice. were as on that bike, they look like booger welds, and that he did not have enough heat.
Shane

buildyourown said:
Well you CAN weld cromo with MIG, but no respectable weldor would.
I design stuff at work and you have to specify TIG or else the vendor will get cheap and MIG it. I have no say over which vendors we use.
Also, MIG creates a lot more splatter than TIG which is ugly and a no no on thin wall tubing.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Being a cynic, since everyone else is. But the idea of using cromoly for a suspension bike does nothing for me. A good cromo hardtail, oohh baby, but surely aluminium would be more appropriate for a duallie? Being stiffer and lighter? (broad generalisation, I know). Once you throw a shock in the equation "keeping it real" with the "steel feel" is a bit bloody useless.

And the idea of hand-worked craftsmanship, hrm, yeh cool, he's a skiled guy. But I'd rather a machine make my parts! At least you know there's less chance for error in manufacturing.

Oh well, good on him for giving it a go, but they don't really offer anything hugely innovative to this fickle market, do they?