Quantcast

A question on voting or lack thereof...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
For example you have the candidates and want none of them in office. What is worse, voting for the "lesser of two evils" or abstaining from the vote completely?

People like to get on a high horse about non-voters, but more and more it seems the choice of candidates we have is pretty slim. Personally when I am given a choice where neither side agrees with me, I choose not to choose.

They need to give every ballot a "they both suck" check box, then they can scrap both candidates and gives us new choices.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
If you don't want either of them don't vote for either of them. A high number of abstainers might prompt someone who you would vote for to become a candidate.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by D_D
If you don't want either of them don't vote for either of them. A high number of abstainers might prompt someone who you would vote for to become a candidate.
sounds resonable. of course, this is not a resonable country. By voting third or fourth party, you are sending the same message as "They both suck"

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...but sometimes the third and fourth parties suck beyond belief.

If you like no one at all in the election, the only reasonable option is to not vote at all.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
well, if you don't like the candidate, look at their platform. maybe there are some changes in the plan that you may like.

politics is a dirty business... especially since there is only two teams. is there any way at all that it can change? like, say a referendum or constitutional change?

obviously i don't understand the political process very well.... that happens when you're an engineer. i was lucky enough to become president of the engineering society at uni, but i still had no clue why i got chosen or even got a vote.

spoiling a ballot can show your contempt for the process... at least you took the opportunity to voice your opinion.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
If a third/fourth/eleventeenth party candidate recieves enough votes they qualify for federal matching funds from the Federal Election Commission for the next election. Thats one reason to vote, if your not a Democrat or Republican. The Greens Party and Libratarians are getting close to matching fund status.