Quantcast

A quickie: Whistler Liftpass cost?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
On teh whistlerblackcomb site the only short-term lift pass prices I'm seeing are for 1day or 3day ones - do they not do a longer one for, say, a fortnight, or do I have to go the full hog and buy a $299 season pass for just two weeks?

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
For 2 weeks it is still worth buying a seasons pass.

Here is a price comparison I wrote up for our local ride group.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Gang:

Just trying to figure out if getting a seasons pass to the bike park again this year is worth it or not.

>From this page:
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/bike/tickets/

A season pass is $299 + GST = $319.93
A day pass is $39 + GST = $41.73

To make a seasons pass worth while $319.93/$41.73 = 7.67
So if you go 8 times or more it is worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have a NSMB Bro card ($39.95), it works out like this.

A season pass is $299 -$50 + GST = $266.43
A day pass is $39 - $10 + GST = $31.03

To make a seasons pass worth while $266.43/$31.03 = 8.57
So if you go 9 times or more it is worth it.

Buying a Bro Card saves you $13.55 on the seasons pass even if you include the cost of the card, plus the other deals on the card.
http://www.nsmb.com/market_place/brocard/index.php

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>Note: Cycling BC members receive $50 off their Summer Season Pass at
>Whistler Mountain Bike Park, $5 off Day passes and other in-Park
>discounts. Show your membership card at the Park to redeem this
>special offer.

So the question is, who is getting a seasons pass this year?

Craig

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've since been told that if you have a Whistler or Squamish bike trail association membership, you will also get the $50 discount.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Cheers, I knew it was worth it over buying many 1-day passes, but wondered if there was a week or fortnight pass I didn't know about.

£120, ouch :(

cheers :)

Cost of my holiday so far:

Flight £371
Airport parking £94
Liftpass £120
Accommodation £430
Transfer £50

£1065 and I've not even started on food, beer or breakages yet :)

Must sell more stuff ;)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by - seb
Cheers, I knew it was worth it over buying many 1-day passes, but wondered if there was a week or fortnight pass I didn't know about.

Must sell more stuff ;)
Or selll the pass to someone willing to say " i was just borrowing it for the day..... sorry" ..... :D :D

If you leave the full face on and let them scan it as normal who would know.... as long as it wasnt reported as stolen. I know a bunch of people that shared passes a few times last year....

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by oly
Or selll the pass to someone willing to say " i was just borrowing it for the day..... sorry" ..... :D :D

If you leave the full face on and let them scan it as normal who would know.... as long as it wasnt reported as stolen. I know a bunch of people that shared passes a few times last year....
CUNNING idea :) Especially since I'm going so early in the season :)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Mind you all funds are in CAN i think.

I was looking this up last night, it was like $39 CAN for the whole pass + extended play or $25 US dollars, something similar to that as for CAN $1 is like $.75 something in US funds.

Makes looking for a trip better when you do the conversion and it's $400 less than what it says :) :) :)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by CraigH
Standing in line with a full face helmet on when it is 30 deg C seems like a tough way to save money. :dead:
I'm confused - what are you talking about?

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
Originally posted by - seb
I'm confused - what are you talking about?
I was replying to Oly's post above:

"Or selll the pass to someone willing to say " i was just borrowing it for the day..... sorry" .....
If you leave the full face on and let them scan it as normal who would know.... as long as it wasnt reported as stolen. I know a bunch of people that shared passes a few times last year...."

It can get very warm in Whistler in the summer, especially when it is sunny up there as there isn't any shade where they have the line up.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I always wondered how many people shared passes. While some of the lifties are slackers others seem to do a pretty good job of checking out my pass picture and my face. With as much as I'm up there I wouldn't want to risk loaning my pass to someone else, I bet there would be a pretty high chance of them remembering me and catching whoever was using my pass.

I wonder what they really do when they catch you? I'd guess they just warn you the first time or take your pass but I wonder if they ever actually enforce the $500 fine for sharing a pass?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
2 seasons ago, I went up for 7 days straight. They had a really good deal. You bought a "Site Seer" pass. This got your person on the lift. I think it was good for 10-14 days. It cost ~$45 cdn.
Then everyday you went and bought a bike park ticket. It was $10 cdn. That got your bike on the lift. This whole deal was only worth it if you were up for more than 3 days. I'm not sure if they still do it. I inquired about it early last year, and they said it didn't start until June. It's worth looking into though. It saved me a lot of money.
This is one of those things that they don't advertise. There are other discounts that you have to ask for.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Bro card from NSMB saves 10$ on day passes and 50$ on the seasons pass. Considering the bro card is only 50$ thats immediate pay back.

It also gets you discounts on places to eat and lodging as well as someof the bikeshops.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Originally posted by crashing_sux
I always wondered how many people shared passes. While some of the lifties are slackers others seem to do a pretty good job of checking out my pass picture and my face. With as much as I'm up there I wouldn't want to risk loaning my pass to someone else, I bet there would be a pretty high chance of them remembering me and catching whoever was using my pass.

I wonder what they really do when they catch you? I'd guess they just warn you the first time or take your pass but I wonder if they ever actually enforce the $500 fine for sharing a pass?
They wont send you a bill for the fine if that's what your thinking but they won't re-issue your pass unless you pay the fine. A friend of mine got caught for sharing her express card in the winter time.