Quantcast

A Rant, who loves marzocchi and hayes adapters.....

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I was just thinking of this after seeing the killer wheel build Brain did with the tubeless rims/king hubs. Even though he runs Hope's it made me think...

Why in the world does hayes mount the caliper (or hope) so that it is lower on the shock? If you look at a boxxer it's placed way up on the leg, but the Marzocchi line of forks seem to mount it low. Doesn't seem like it would cause a problem but I imagine someone has smacked that caliper pretty good.

It was just something to think on....

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
not really sure what you mean, but........

The marzocchi fork uses a international standard, 51mm mount, which was originally designed for use with 6" rotors. The boxxer uses it'sown dedicated mount, andI believe was intended to be used with 8" rotors. I've never heard of someone hitting their caliper though, only way i can see it happening is in a crash, or if riding backwards.....?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by Fulton
not really sure what you mean, but........

I've never heard of someone hitting their caliper though, only way i can see it happening is in a crash, or if riding backwards.....?
Come to think of it, me neither. I think to hit your caliper dead on, you have to be extreeeeeeemely unlucky.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
One time, I hit a very big pointy rock than broke the lockring off of my bottom bracket. It hit so hard that I thought the whole bike snapped, and the only thing damaged was a lockring that I did not need anyway. It was sweet and happened at band camp.;)
But I have never hit a caliper, or damaged one anyway.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Never been a problem here and I crash a lot!!!

Now that I've gone and said that....

Mike - Gee, I hope I win the lottery. ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
well, boxxers are not even international standard, they have their "own" spacing which is different, so if you want to run any brake on a boxxer, you need at least a 185mm rotor, and you need the specific boxxer-adaptor from whatever company makes your disc brake.

On the other hand, with marzocchis you jst need the "international standard" caliper from whtaever company, and you can use it on OTHER rockshox forks, as well as fox forks, but rockshox has kept the "wierd" spacing of their boxxer over the years.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by Jm_
..., but rockshox has kept the "wierd" spacing of their boxxer over the years.
I wonder if they kept that spacing on the '05 models, the lowers are new, so they could 'cast' away the mistake;)

I've never hit my caliper either and the only time I've thought about that is on those Chumbas with the floater that mounts the brake at teh height of a derrailler.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i think i know what hes talking about, the old monster has an angle between the line formed by the two IS bolt holes, and the lower leg, so that when you put an 8" adapter on there, the caliper ends up pretty far from the fork and seems more "hittable" (nice word i came up with!).
but i still dont think that would make for a problem, hell one friend of mine even raced for a while with a monster and an upside down mounted rear adapter, that thing was "hittable" but still no hits.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well it kinda dawned on me after looking at per say a boxxer how high up it mounts the caliper. I think this is just a quark with 8" rotors and not the 6. It just seems funny to me after looking at it to mount the caliper low on the front, would make a lot more sense to mount it up to the top.

I guess if there were problems with people busting them off Marzocchi or someone would change that mount and make it more up on the fork. Would take them all of like 10 minutes probably to change the design (well hayes and other brakes would have to make new adapters) but I guess it's no biggy.

I was just working on my old old old bike and sat it down after pulling the front wheel off and it just sat there on the front fork. I had a brain fart and remembered that none of my marzocchi forks I could do that on or with. I remembered the caliper being down so it was funny trying to sit it up without a stand. It just made me think.....