Personal Responsibility: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal, 50% Neutral

Fiscal Issues: 100% Conservative, 100% Liberal

Ethics: 0% Conservative, 0% Liberal

Defense and Crime: 500% Conservative, 500% Liberal

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Its not like having humanity or having money are mutually exclusive. I just believe that no one is responsible for your own well being but you.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Its not like having humanity or having money are mutually exclusive. I just believe that no one is responsible for your own well being but you.
for one entity, sure. for a multi-national corporation? ask the villagers in china or mexico if they are envious of the environmental regulations that american companies need to comply with. and i'm sure some of these same companies have facilities in countries where those aren't mandated, so they can make more $ by not instituting them, at the cost of the local community.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
for one entity, sure. for a multi-national corporation? ask the villagers in china or Mexico if they are envious of the environmental regulations that American companies need to comply with. and i'm sure some of these same companies have facilities in countries where those aren't mandated, so they can make more $ by not instituting them, at the cost of the local community.
That may be true, but, we are not talking about regulations. We are talking about the responsibility of a large company. Company's should not be expected to go above and beyond the call of duty. And their duty is to me. Mr. Stockholder.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Overall: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal

Social Issues: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal

Personal Responsibility: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal

Fiscal Issues: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal

Ethics: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal

Defense and Crime: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
That may be true, but, we are not talking about regulations. We are talking about the responsibility of a large company. Company's should not be expected to go above and beyond the call of duty. And their duty is to me. Mr. Stockholder.
so if there was no clean water act, you'd be fine w/ Company B pouring dioxin into the nearest river, if it meant yr share price would rise a dime?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That is short sighted and fails to consider the true economic cost of doing business. Its cheaper to do it right - ie clean/efficient the first time around rather than to pay the fines, cleanup, and victims in the long term. Leaving those costs out and doing it dirty is the same as cooking the books in economic terms - you'll have to pay them in the end plus the real and brand equity of the company will be worse off. You'd be doing your shareholders a disservice by cutting corners in your process, but most people are shortsighted fools - tragedy of the commons and all...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
so if there was no clean water act, you'd be fine w/ Company B pouring dioxin into the nearest river, if it meant yr share price would rise a dime?
We would need to define the word "duty" here. Does the company feel obligated to be environmentally friendly?

Would NOT dumping dioxin be above and beyond the call of duty?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Ok, Yes, environmental issues are important. But as far as donating money, building schools "social Responsibilities" should not be forced on a company.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Look at the big picture. What happens to the share price of Company B when the public realizes it's been pouring dioxin into the river?

In the past many short sighted decisions were made to try to maximize profits. But in modern times, a company that is "green" and advertises it, can actually boost its stability and stock price while being socially responsible and low risk.

It's much more complex than that, but it comes down to ethics and teaching people to think through their decisions.

Overall: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal

Social Issues: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal

Fiscal Issues: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal

Defense and Crime: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Look at the big picture. What happens to the share price of Company B when the public realizes it's been pouring dioxin into the river?

In the past many short sighted decisions were made to try to maximize profits. But in modern times, a company that is "green" and advertises it, can actually boost its stability and stock price while being socially responsible and low risk.
depends on location, no? in the US, sure...how about in places like China or Mexico?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
depends on location, no? in the US, sure...how about in places like China or Mexico?
The people will come to bear the criminally negligent practices of the companies in the long run - the true economic benefits/losses for these countries isn't apparent until a time down the line. Today developing countries still go through this stage but with more responsible corporation recognizing the benefits of doing it right the first time around this stage is shrinking in length.

That and there are various organization to call out the companies who are doing it wrong and the Internet greatly empowers them. I think just recently this happened in the notorious irresponsible mining industry...

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
The questions are loaded......try this one instead.

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html
I like the second quiz a little better. I'm Centrist according to that one. The first quiz gave these results (I thought the answers were poor selections but chose the least off base answers):

Overall: 65% Conservative, 35% Liberal

Social Issues: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Overall: 85% Conservative, 15% Liberal

Personal Responsibility: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal

Ethics: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal

these questions are very extremist in nature. there is no answer for anything other than extreme opposites. not very accurate.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
This ought to surprise some folks in hea':

Overall: 40% Conservative, 60% Liberal

Social Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Personal Responsibility: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Fiscal Issues: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal

Defense and Crime: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal

edit: the short test shows me as a left/libertarian centrist (personal 70%, economic 50%)

HOWDY

Chimp
Mar 14, 2006
in the path of Charlie, SWF
Overall: 95% Conservative, 5% Liberal

Personal Responsibility: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal

Ethics: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal