Quantcast

A Trip to AZ!

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
Hello, I got an opportunity to spend a long weekend in Phoenix and want to do some riding. I'll be flying down w/ my bike and staying in the Phoenix area (never been there before). I'm staying within riding distance of the Phoenix Mountains Preserve (?). Is the riding there worth while, or should I look else where? I'm also planning a day trip up to Sedona. One day in Sedona is probably a teaser, but I can't pass up the chance to get out of the rain up here!
I'm looking for 18-20+ mile rides. Hope extra Stans in the tires will help w/ the cactus! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Trail 100 runs through the Phoenix Mountain Preserve which is pretty doable for the average rider and a great intro to Phoenix riding. South Mountain offers more difficult XC trails and a sunday shuttle for DH.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
If you're near the north mountain preserve (trail 100), there used to be several 'other' trails that we used to ride that will definately bump up on the techy scale for riding. Trail 1A comes to mind, but it's been years and I don't know the condition of the trails there anymore.

Head down to South Mountain. You won't be disappointed. (unless you really dont want techy trails)

Here's one of me after the Old Pueblo race going up National on South Mountain.

Man, I love that trail.

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
Yeah, but you're going the wrong way!

peter6061 said:
If you're near the north mountain preserve (trail 100), there used to be several 'other' trails that we used to ride that will definately bump up on the techy scale for riding. Trail 1A comes to mind, but it's been years and I don't know the condition of the trails there anymore.

Head down to South Mountain. You won't be disappointed. (unless you really dont want techy trails)

Here's one of me after the Old Pueblo race going up National on South Mountain.

Man, I love that trail.

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
Like the picture. Looks like my kind of riding. The N. Mountain trails will be right across the street from where I'm staying, but the S. Mountain sounds more interesting. Thanks. Any suggestions on trails in Sedona?

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I have done the eastern loops shown on the map. One of the most fun days of riding I have ever had. Started from the parking area across from the Bike and Bean. You can pick up a Red Rock pass there to ride the trails.

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
Thanks for the ride suggestions, I had a great time down there. I got out Sunday and rode at S. Mountain. I took the National trail up and kept going a ways past the Buena Vista (?) parking lot, then rode it in reverse. That is a fun trail. I was very impressed with the number of folks riding up the trail on big bikes! I was expecting some standing water from all the rain on Sat. but the trail was in great shape. As dumb as it sounds, coming from the PNW it’s great to have a clean bike after a ride.
On Monday I was going to head up to Sedona, but decided against it with all the snow they got up there. Instead I pieced together a 25 mile ride out in the N. Mountain area.
I kept mainly on trail 100, good XC riding. There is incredible access there for such an urban sprawl. I was even able to see the Mariners v. Cubs game in Mesa before flying back yesterday! I’ll have to start planning another trip to check out Sedona in the near future.