Quantcast

About to buy a D3... question about sizing

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
im about to buy a D3 I think im an XL by the sizing chart.

I use to wear a medium giro madmax which is 55-59 cm.

I tried on the D2 medium which is 56-59cm and it fit a bit snug in the front on my forehead was kind of uncomfortable dont think I could ride in a medium D2.

So the XL D3 is 60-62cm and seeing as the D2 at 56-59cm was a bit snug I should take the XL ?
Im just wondering if the sizing is spot on since ill be ordering online.

http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/catalog/images/sizechart_D3_helmets.gif

http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/catalog/images/sizechart_D2_helmets.gif

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Hey xemini, sorry I dont know the answer to your question but I though I would chime in.

You are about to purchase THE most important piece of protection and you're not even going to try it on first?I would HIGHGLY recommend you try your helmet before buying it...

I had a md madmax once, and I've had several D2's, all mediums as well and when I tried a D3, the medium had the best fit.That said, It felt much tighter than any of my previous D2's and @ that price, I couldnt get myself to spend that much $$$$ for an helmet that I wasnt overly impressed by the fit...Our helmet should fit real tight when its brand new but not uncomfortable and unfortunately , internet wont give you that info.

You can get REALLY good (and even better IMO) helmets for less $$$ if you look in the moto industry.Dont mean to start another debate here but I say you should start by looking at more options and go TRY them @ the shop if you can!!!

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
ya im not sure if I could fit into a large cause im unsure of how the D3 fits, XL seems like the one i just hope it fits

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
The sizing chart is accurate. Buy the helmet the chart says to. There's no need for a discussion on the topic.

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
so I went with the XL, fits good but its not as snug as I would like it. It doesn't feel "glued" to my head/cheeks and since its new and has to break in some... I think I needed a large.. it was a hard choice for me because I was right in the middle of the large and XL so im going to have to send in for an exchange.... suckssss....

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
does the D3 not come with extra padding like the d2? My d2 came with extra foam to tighten up the fit in places where it felt loose

fatnslow

Chimp
May 10, 2010
If you get in touch with someone that's a TLD dealer, they may be able to get you thicker pads, if you feel like it would make up the difference... That said, a good snug fit is critical, so if you can, you should go to the large...

I tried mail ordering helmets a few times, but I've given up and just bought moto helmets at local motorcycle shops lately - I think my head is funny shaped, so I really need to try them on... I also haven't found the difference between local retail and mail-order to be as huge in the moto world as it is in the cycling world.

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
ok so I asked the seller I ordered from he said I can get large cheek pads which would be thicker then the XL pads so maybe that will work for me because he is out of stock in size large. I think the large pads should work good for me im right at the end of a large im like a 59.5 and the large is 59 and the XL starts at 60 so i think im fine there I just need the large pads to tighten up my cheeks

Last edited:

fatnslow

Chimp
May 10, 2010
Nice! One thing to bear in mind when you make your final decision is that the pads, particularly at the cheeks, will break in a bit over time. For a nice snug fit after break-in, you want to be rocking a bit of the chipmunk cheek look at first.

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
Yea its fairly firm now with xL pads but still a bit of movement so I think the large pads will do me good, that is what I ordered anyway so we'll see

Last edited: