Quantcast

Acquiring a network address...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
So my operating system has this fine issue:

Anytime my network connection goes down, on any network device, at any time, my computer fails to assign a network address to itself, and I get the little yellow ! sign where my network activity thing is next to the clock. As an added bonus, I can't connect through any router. I have to be directly connected to my cable modem. Anyone know what gives? I'm running a pirated copy of XP...I know I know, bad. Trying to find an affordable copy. Ciaran never sent me one... :(

~blue

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Check your network settings.

You need to know the following things: the IP address of the router and the nameservers of the ISP. The IP address of the router will be in the router documentation if you haven't changed it. If you don't know your ISPs nameservers, connect directly through your cable service, do Start/Run, type "cmd" and, at the prompt, type "ipconfig /all" - they will be listed on that.

Go into your network properties (right click the connection, click Properties, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click the Properties button), and input the following:

Check off Use The Following IP
- Put in an IP of "192.168.x.xx" where X is the third set of digits in your router's IP, and XX is some randomly high number (don't set it at 1-10, choose like 48 or something)
- Put in a Subnet Mask of "255.255.255.0"
- Put in a Default gateway of your router's IP address

Check off Use The Following DNS servers
- Put in the nameservers of your ISP.

Click OK to everything, and reboot. It probably won't tell you to reboot, but it'll save you from trying to connect, then having to reboot and try again.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Thanks for the help BV, but it didn't help, so I just assumed it was my copy of Windows.

Anyway, downloaded a copy of XP Pro Lite (a godsend) off of BT and now everything's smooth as buttah...Lite is awesome. Boot up in around 5 seconds.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Sounded like your IP stack gotz the hoze. There's a way to unload and reload the IP stack, do a google on it. There's another trick: the start/run/"sfc /scannow" w/ your XP disc. This may or may not solve the IP stack issue, but it has saved my ass a couple of times when my system was compromised by trojans/viruses/spyware...