Quantcast

Advice: cycle/monster-cross commuter

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ok so Ive been trying to figure out a fun commuter...I came across the idea of a tough cyclecross (some would call that a monstercross I guess) bike and tailoring it into a daily rider.

I was thinking about ditching the drop bars I never ever got a feel for them. I was thinking a narrower flat bar or one with a mild rise, I had also heard that bull horns would be worth trying out. Ide like disc brakes but it seesm my options are limited. Run wider rubber with decent nubs I like to be able to go anywhere. I may want to run it as a single speed as well.

I am not looking to race this bike just to get around town and maybe some uban assault stuff :rolleyes:

Any advice would be appreciated

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Lemond Poprad fits that description. The frame is steel and will accept disc brakes. One thing to consider is that if you want to race cross, some associations will not allow you to use disc brakes.

Do you need rack mounts? That will rule out the Poprad. You might take a look at Surly's cross frame as well.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
The Poprad looks like a sweet rig. I was also looking at the Cannondale Optimo Disc, anyone have any experiance with it?

The disc brakes would be nice but they are not a deal breaker for me. I have been eyeing the Indentiti Persona frame, and was thinking maybe build it up with a freewheel and brakes all around?

Im def not going to compete with this build I just want to be able to handle all terrains, bust some tricks, and commute.

I guess Im trying to make an aggressive hybrid with the bar swap and stuff?

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I also was looking at the Surley Cross-Check, so far it seems like the only monster cross type frame made, I was just wondering though with straight rigid forks if the tire will clear the frame?

And I cant find what width the rear of the Persona will fit?

Edit: Nevermind the Persona will fit up to 40c tires...Im starting to think this may be a good starting point

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Cheaper 29'er mtb is my vote.
Gears or singlespeed, that's up to you and where you ride. It will be the most versatile option really.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I have been considering a 29er maybe a Karate Monkey or VooDoo Aizan...but then I figure why not just use the cross-check.

For this bike urban assault means just hitting curbs and stairs maybe the occasional loading dock drop. maybe some fixie tricks. Nothing hardcore, otherwise Ide build an actual UA rig.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I have been considering a 29er maybe a Karate Monkey or VooDoo Aizan...but then I figure why not just use the cross-check.

For this bike urban assault means just hitting curbs and stairs maybe the occasional loading dock drop. maybe some fixie tricks. Nothing hardcore, otherwise Ide build an actual UA rig.
Loading dock drops? On a cross bike? Fixie tricks?

:rofl:

Your initial request sounds rather nebulous.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
aahhh i kno im sorry!!! Im trying to think how to describe what I wanna do lol when I say fixie tricks I guess I meant just the occasional bar spin ummm thats about it LOL and yes loading dock drops Ive found a few spots it might be fun to roll off of = about 5 foot drops max

I dunno i hope Im clearer probally not though.

The only thing Im worried about with any frame is running straight forks and having the front wheel clip my toes

Last edited:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
aahhh i kno im sorry!!! Im trying to think how to describe what I wanna do lol when I say fixie tricks I guess I meant just the occasional bar spin ummm thats about it LOL and yes loading dock drops Ive found a few spots it might be fun to roll off of = about 5 foot drops max

I dunno i hope Im clearer probally not though.

The only thing Im worried about with any frame is running straight forks and having the front wheel clip my toes
Yeah, I'd be worried about the front wheel clipping my toes too after the fork folds in from a loading dock drop.

Not trying to be a dick, but cross bikes and the kinds of components that go on them aren't made for that. I think an MTB would be better.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
You could probably ride stairs and do drops on the crosscheck, but I don't why you would want to. Bar spins are going to be out of the question (with the crank level anyway). It sounds like you need a SS, full rigid, 26er. Some of the dirt jumping rigs can be had for cheap.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Yeah, I'd be worried about the front wheel clipping my toes too after the fork folds in from a loading dock drop.

Not trying to be a dick, but cross bikes and the kinds of components that go on them aren't made for that. I think an MTB would be better.
:stupid:

Get the 29'er.
But even then, I wouldn't huck loading docks on it...

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Fair enough and the advice is much appreciated.

I do have a problem of trying to find a bike that will do everything, but usually those bikes dont exist. Just like my trials bikes everything has its purpose its built for.

And maybe hucking loading docks is a bad idea in general lol

So discarding the loading docks and bar spins, what do you guys think for a badass truck of a monstercross commuter?

-Surly Cross Check
-Surly Karate Monkey
-Redline Monocog Flight
-Identiti Persona build
-Cannondale Optimo Disc

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm a cross racer, so my vote is for the crosscheck or optimo. Who knows, you might find that you like wearing spandex and looking aero!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It looks like every thread you've ever started here is a vague wishful thinking "What bike should I buy?!" thread, with no real conclusion...

Just sayin'.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
yes they are I figure ask here to get a better idea of what I want, with so many new bikes and companies its hard to pick one ya know? I just like to hear from personal experiance what people have to say in hopes it will help me decide what I may be looking for.