Quantcast

Advice for Beginner

peatycap

Chimp
May 27, 2004
Maryland
Newbie here... ready to learn and get more involved in Mountain biking. This looked like the best place on the Net to start.

Basically, I am somewhat new to mountain biking. I don't want to jump into it head first (aka... spend a ton of money on a bike the first time). So I am looking for a few suggestions.

First off, I am 6'4" and 240 lbs... big boy. So I need a strong frame and I am thinking a 20 inch frame. Let me know if I am on the right track.

I have about $300 to spend. Oh no! I know that is not that much... but for a beginner, that will have to do. I can always upgrade or purchase something better later on if I get into it.

REI is having an anniversary sale this weekend and one bike stood out to me. The K2 Zed 2.0.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47675244&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1

I have also seen the Mongoose Tech 4 going for $350. Which would you go with????

A little over $300. Basically, I am looking for suggestions. Am I on the right track as far as a bike to purchase? Would this suit me well???

The fiancee is also looking into biking and we will probably just start her out at Sports Authority with a $150 - $200 50% off sale. I am hoping Memorial Day brings a couple sales for her. If you have any other suggestions besides SA, that would be cool too. She is about 5'6" and 125 lbs. 16" frame I am thinking???

Thank you in advance for any help. I look forward to reading and learning from your site. I participate on another forum and realize that guys come in guns ablazing... without stopping and learning first. No worries here!!! I have A LOT to learn!!!

:)

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
That's not going to be an easy task to find a bike at this price that'll work for a long time without falling apart for a guy of you size.

I'd seriously advise you to try to buy something used. At this pricepoint, all you'll find is noodly forks and cheap components that'll risk to fall apart as soon as you'll get more aggressive. For example, there's not point in buying a 400$ bike if you'll need to invest another 400$ in the first year to replace broken parts. I can assure you that if you ride off-road often, you'll destroy that K2 in no time.

I'd say the ideal bike for you would be a cromo hardtail because of you size. It should be more durable than an aluminum hardtail. Unfortunately, cromo HT are not that easy to find these days.

If you want to go aluminum, your best choice would probably be something like a Kona Hoss (Check it out here...). Of course it's more expensive than what you wanted to pay initially, but it's a very upgradeable platform built with the right components in the beginning (except for the fork that you'll probably want to upgrade quickly if you ride a lot).

Hope that helped...maybe some others will have some more thing to say. Good luck! :)

ThePirk

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Seattle Wa
Save your money. PLEASE!

The last thing you want is to buy a department store MTB. At your weight you would destroy one.:nope:

Its the biggest mistake all beginners make, they think that A bike such as a mongoose will be fine, but they end up not beeing able to do anything on it.

Its a waist a money

If you want to really ride get 600-800$ and check out some burly hard tails such as the TRANSITION (Seattle based company) Trailorpark.

Look at:www.transitionbikes.com

peatycap

Chimp
May 27, 2004
Maryland
Okay, okay... I see what you guys are getting at. Either save my pennies or drop 20-40 lbs. quick!

Welp, both are tough and since I am a newb, I think that I will still buy a bike and RIDE IT and get a feel for a potential second bike. I have PMd a couple of guys and got some great advice.

It really looks like I am going to go the Trek route. Either a 4300, 4500, or the "secret" 4600 series. Respectively, I priced them at $350, $419, and ??? Still have to check the Bike Doctor (our local bike store on this one. Although I am not poor, I really don't want to invest before I see if I REALLY enjoy the hobby. Thus far, with my cheapie Fuji, I have enjoyed myself.

Some other brands came up that have sparked an interest... Giant, Specialized, and Ironhorse (online only?). I am definelty going to price shop (the local store matches prices) and compare components.

How about this question. I am almost trying to build a sort of hierarchy for equip.

Frames:

Titanium
Aluminum
Steel

Rear Derailers (All Shimano):

Deore
Sttus
Acere
Alius

I am sure that those last few are spelled wrong. I am scribbling here at work... killing some time.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Test ride a Giant Iguana with disk - one of the guys in my group just started riding MTB and he loves his. I have a Giant XTC SE1 and we swapped for a few miles - other than the weight and slightly less brake feel I thought it was fine. I think it weighed about 28 LBS and felt very solid.

The other important thing is - don't forget to have fun, it's all about fun. :)

PM LardOpie - he has an Iguana and likes it just fine. :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by peatycap
Although I am not poor, I really don't want to invest before I see if I REALLY enjoy the hobby.
The problem with that logic is you can wind up with a bike that won't perform well, and break constantly and frustrate you right out of the recreation.
Since you're going with a hardtail go ahead and get a nice Trek, but spend some money to get a decent fork to go with it. Since you're a big guy don't overly worry about how light components are (on Cross Country bike upgrades usually just mean less wieght). Getting something sturdy like a LX for you is better than losing a few grams for an XTR. So light sometimes = expensive.
If i were you i wouldn't be so insistant on getting the cheapest deal possible, give yourself a chance to like the sport with a good intro level dependable bike.
Also get fitted properly in a lbs (local bike shop), it is so very important to get a proper fit, and some companies 20" frames may not feel right to you.
I'm not saying go and spend well over a grand in your case, but the lowball frame of mind you got, could prove hindersome to falling in love with mt. biking like we have.:)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Listen to skooks or go used.

Trek 4500 would be a good starting point, even at your weight. My dad weighed almost 200 when he got his and it was fine...You'd probably want a new fork after a few months, but it would be okay until then.

peatycap

Chimp
May 27, 2004
Maryland
Well ****... I thought that I replied to this thread on Saturday. Damn dial up!

Anways, I went with the 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin at $400. Pretty good deal and an even better warranty. I purchased it at our local bike shop and the guy I worked with was terrific. I spent almost three hours in there test riding bikes and adjusting the GF for me. Here is a little info on the Marlin:

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2004_hardtail/product_123351.shtml

He assured me that with my size and the fact that I won't be jumping off huge jumps or anything like that, I should be just fine as far as the bike holding up.

The fiancee got a Giant Rincon. $270. I think both are great buys because of the warranties and the fact that we are beginners. I took mine out on Saturday and it handled great. I won't be upgrading anything any time soon, just riding. Thanks for all the help. You all should get a cut because I came in hear only wanting to spend $300 and ended up with a $400 bike!

jpz

Chimp
Jun 14, 2004
peatycap said:
Anways, I went with the 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin at $400. Pretty good deal and an even better warranty. I purchased it at our local bike shop and the guy I worked with was terrific. I spent almost three hours in there test riding bikes and adjusting the GF for me. Here is a little info on the Marlin:
I was in the same boat as you when I went bike shopping. I just got into the sport but was fortunate enough to know a lot of very good riders who helped me out in my quest (before i knew about this forum).. I'm 6'5" and 205lbs, so finding a bike for a big person was difficult.. Especially since I didn't want to buy something for $2k and then not find the time to ride it. I looked at the marlin and it was nice, but the Tassajara kept calling my name so I ended up spending the extra $200 and picking that up. It's got a 21" frame and is surprisingly light.. I just picked it up Saturday and have taken it out twice, that bike handles way better than I do. I never realized how out of shape I was. :)

I plan on just doing some recrational fire trails and single tracks of the beginner to intermediate level. No drops for me yet, but when that time comes i'm sure i'll just splurge on a nice bike. :)

Jun 17, 2004
Florida
I would recommend a Specialized Hardrock Sport...a hardtail that retails for $330, but I really think you should save up a little more and get the Hardrock Comp that goes for $499...it comes with Marzocchi MZ Comp forks with 100mm travel. These bikes are known for durability. Then upgrade your wheels when you get a chance to maybe some Rhyno Lites w/decent hubs. I weigh 240lbs. myself and know how weight can put a beating on your ride. If you can spend $600 you can get the Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc that comes with Ditchwitch rims that could handle the pounding you would give them. :thumb:

Ooops! I wrote this post before I noticed you had already purchased a bike. I hope that Gary Fisher works out for you.