Quantcast

AeroBars, Who uses them?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
And do you like them?

I have been riding road a lot lately (so expect quite a few repetitive newbie questions from me) and am having trouble getting comfortable in the drops on my bike. I am pretty comfortable in second position (thats what my spin instructor calls it) holding the tops of the bars close to the levers. These aerobars look comfortable for that position of riding. I have never tried them out before though and would hate to get them and have them be as uncomfortable as using the drop bars.

Anybody crazy about these bars. Have some recommendations on a nice, cheapish brand to try out? Thanks.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Drops do take some time to get used to, but for any sort of technical situation on the road, that's where you want to be. You have the most leverage and most control in the drops as well as the most braking power. If you're coming from mtn bikes, it takes some practice to break the habit of being on the tops (or flats) of the bars - which is really the last place you want to be.

I've thought of aero bars, and got a taste of them when I had Scott AT-4's on an old touring bike, but the problem with them is you have very little control with them. They are fine for going straight, but you need a great deal of practice to do even mild turns on them.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I use the drops about 1% of the time, either on a fast descent or a sprint. There is no stigma to being on the hoods, and you can still get a good tuck as well.

But if you are having huge problems, you could seek out a different bend. Many women prefer a shallow bend...

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
It took me about 1,000 miles to get used to the drops. When I first got the road bike, I couldn't use them at all. Now I've got no problem with them, but probably use them 10% of the time or less.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't use aero bars, the clutter or weight isn't worth it to me. I'll just ride in the drops if I'm riding into a stiff headwind.

Like others have said part of riding in drops is patience. But it can also be a fit issue - if your bars are too low or have too deep of a drop, you may never feel comfortable. At about 6'1" with long arms I'm a little bigger than a lot of road riders, yet I prefer a fairly shallow drop bar - to me it makes riding the drops more comfortable and accessible. If you can't get comfortable riding a normal drop bar, consider something more shallow.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I should also point out there is a stigma about aero bars. Unless you are a tri-geek, being on an aero bar is minimizing your handling, and definitely your braking.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
most ppl that can't ride in the drops can't do so b/c the have to much drop. ie their bars are set up to low. try raising your bars a bit.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
sanjuro said:
I should also point out there is a stigma about aero bars. Unless you are a tri-geek, being on an aero bar is minimizing your handling, and definitely your braking.
:stupid: Using aerobars in a group of more than one is not a good idea.

Road - Never.
Tri - Always, with the exception of turning and braking.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
reflux said:
:stupid: Using aerobars in a group of more than one is not a good idea.

Road - Never.
Tri - Always, with the exception of turning and braking.
Because of the handling issue and being in a group?

so on the road you don't use aero bars but for tri you do?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
laura said:

50% of people I see using tri bars are guys with Topeak Panoram computers, seatpost mounted racks, and SPD hiking shoes.

If I sound like a snob, maybe. But the nice part about riding road is the group rides, which are different than mtn biking. On a tight singletrack, you are riding by yourself. But on a long stretch of road, being in a group is critical for faster speeds.

And obviously, aerobars do not work on a group ride.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
sanjuro said:
50% of people I see using tri bars are guys with Topeak Panoram computers, seatpost mounted racks, and SPD hiking shoes.

If I sound like a snob, maybe. But the nice part about riding road is the group rides, which are different than mtn biking. On a tight singletrack, you are riding by yourself. But on a long stretch of road, being in a group is critical for faster speeds.

And obviously, aerobars do not work on a group ride.
I think I have that computer and those shoes. I don't ride in groups on the road, I like being alone. But i sure don't want any squirrly handling.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
laura said:

Yup. The geometry of a TT or Tri bike is adjusted to account for aerobars, with the main differences being a steeper seatube(sp?) angle and shorter chainstays. If you throw aerobars on a traditional road frame, the bikes handling will typically go to crap (due to center of gravity??). Hopefully one of the e-experts can go into detail on this forum, as I'm still very much a n00b when it comes to bike geo.

Anyway, it's considered bad taste and dangerous to use aerobars on a group ride.

*Edit - visit www.slowtwitch.com for some interesting info on tri geomety (and some info on how it differs from road geo)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
reflux said:
Yup. The geometry of a TT or Tri bike is adjusted to account for aerobars, with the main differences being a steeper seatube(sp?) angle and shorter chainstays. If you throw aerobars on a traditional road frame, the bikes handling will typically go to crap (due to center of gravity??). Hopefully one of the e-experts can go into detail on this forum, as I'm still very much a n00b when it comes to bike geo.

Anyway, it's considered bad taste and dangerous to use aerobars on a group ride.

I see. I am on a cyclo cross bike, not road. its a voodoo but I don't remember the model and don't really know any of the specs. I'll have to do some research.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
reflux said:
Mostly because your hands are so far away from the brakes. The guy in front of you could probably care less if you hit him and crash (that usually won't take down the front rider), but the guy behind you sure will.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
robdamanii said:
FWIW....the few times I tried to use aerobars, I almost went into a ditch. VERY difficult to do anything but go straight on them.

If you ride them enough you atcually get pretty good at turning with them.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
If you want, I have some Profile Design aerobars that came on my Cannondale when I bought it from a friend. I used them twice and took 'em off. They're a bit used (still good), but at least you'd get an idea of how they feel.

PM me if you're interested.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I only use drops on steep downhills. Otherwise, I rest my forearms on the tops while holding the hoods or cables.

If you go with aerobars, try the ones that aren't connected to each other so you can put the pads and bars as far to the outside as possible to start out with.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
laura said:
I see. I am on a cyclo cross bike, not road. its a voodoo but I don't remember the model and don't really know any of the specs. I'll have to do some research.
FWIW, I've been road riding for a long time - well over 20 years (longer than I've ridden mtn bikes), but the biggest eye-opener for riding in the drops was when I took my cyclocross bike out onto the trails. As soon as you hit some mildly rough single track, you learn VERY quickly that the drops are where you have the most control. Then it becomes second nature to drop into them when cornering on the road or when crossing rough sections (RR tracks, for example).

Since you're riding a c-x bike, your position is probably fairly high already and c-x bikes generally tend to have wider bars than a comparable road bike. But without being able to see you in person, on the bike, anything we suggest is little more than guessing.

Can you see where this is heading yet? As indieboy hinted, fit is everything on a road bike. It desn't matter that it's a c-x bike - you're using it as a road bike, so fit is still very important. Before you spend a single dollar on any upgrade for the bike, invest a few bucks in having it properly fitted to you and how you ride.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
aerobars do not=comfort.

Unless your going to try to rip out some awesome solo hour times (tt stylee) I'd stay away from the aeros.
X2 on a cyclocross bike. please please please dont do it.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
IMHO, I'd first evaluate whether or not the bars you're using have either too deep of a drop and also whether or not the bars are too wide or narrow for you. Any decent bike shop should be able to get you set up properly. Also, you should really spend more time riding the brake hoods than the drops. The only times the drops are really effective are for technical descents, strong headwinds, sprinting and climbing when out of the saddle.

I had a set of aero attachments that I put on one of my last road bikes. I used them when I was a courier. They were handy when I had to carry small/medium boxes...I'd bungee the box to the bars and didn't have to worry about the corners of the box digging into my back had I carried them in my bag. They were useful on my ride home on longer, straight sections of road. Otherwise, they were just something that cluttered up my handlebars.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The Toninator said:
aerobars do not=comfort.

Unless your going to try to rip out some awesome solo hour times (tt stylee) I'd stay away from the aeros.
X2 on a cyclocross bike. please please please dont do it.
I don't use them cuz they're not really effective for climbing mountains and every long ride here involves some sort of climb, that said...

RAAM riders use them, in part, for comfort. I know people who tour who've used them for comfort. It's all a matter of setting them up right.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Aerobars can actually be set up for comfort, but you need to run them fairly high. For long stuff alot of the touring people use them to get their weight off their hands for a while. Plus it's a bit more aero.