Quantcast

Affordable (cheap) and decent beginner frame and fork?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Hi all,

I have a new road bike coming my way in the next week. For those of you who care, it is a Kestrel Talon with Ultegra. Yes, w00t. If you want pics, go to their website.

The nice thing about replacing my current ride is that I will be able to take my old parts and use them to build a bike for my younger sister. The grouppo is nothing special (circa 2000 Veloce) and the parts mix is decidedly average, but everything is perfectly functional and will serve its duty well on another beginner bike. What I don't want to do however, is put her on a frame that will turn her off to road riding. I'd like to stay around $500 if possible, lower would be sahweeet. Also, she is around 5'2", maybe 5'3".

What brands and models should I be looking at?

Thanks for all your help guys and girls. My road knowledge blows and I can use all the help you can offer.

Andrew

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
my mom has a pretty nice cannondale ,i think it's like a cad4 or 3000. that would be a great starter you can probaly find one for not that much on ebay.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Is your sister a cyclist? If she's JUST getting into it, what about something more fun than functional? Like an Electra?

Look for one that has 3 or 7 speeds.

Plus, then you can keep your roadie as a backup :)