Quantcast

After 21 years its finally over

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I can finally call myself a non smoker. Since I was 13 years old I been smoking at least a pack a day. So at the very least I've inhaled 153,300 cancer sticks. I'm now on day 9 and feel better mentally knowing I don't have this crutch to lean on (I'll feel better physically once I cough up the rest of this crap). This has been by far the hardest thing for me to do and had to tell world my sad story. Thank you that's my time.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I just started this year, not cigarettes though - I've selected cigars as a safer alternative.
[sarcasm] :thumb: [/sarcasm]

4 years ago I was 2 packs a day. Today, I am smoke free. Tomorrow is friday... I may have one midway through the case of beer if someone offers.... but no more than one.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Today that would be $61,320. Figuring in 20 cigarettes a pack at Washington state cost of an average $8. I'm sure that number is very much inflated due to the taxes that have been added over the last couple of years. But if you were to buy them in individual packs today that would be the cost.

Per year that's $2920

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Congrats Josh - it's no easy feat. I smoked for 10 years but kicked it about 5 years ago now. It's not an easy choice to make but it's definitely better in the end. :thumb:

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Congrats Josh - it's no easy feat. I smoked for 10 years but kicked it about 5 years ago now. It's not an easy choice to make but it's definitely better in the end. :thumb:
The worst thing was every morning I had to have a smoke before I even took a piss. Knowing that when I did I would dry-heave and just about let a lung go.

....and from this day forward I shall never suck on Camel Joe's ass again.
( I say this as the heavens part and rays of sunlight shine upon me)

badphish

Monkey
Feb 28, 2008
Right on. My last one was Jan. 18, 2001. It took me about a year and a half to finally quit. It's definitely something you have to really want to do. It's also amazing how much better you feel after you quit. It was awkward sometimes though. I had a hard time knowing what to do with my hands because they were so used to lifting cigs to my mouth. Also, at work, smokers take smoke breaks. If a non smoker goes outside to take a break it looks like you're slacking off.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Today that would be $61,320. Figuring in 20 cigarettes a pack at Washington state cost of an average $8. I'm sure that number is very much inflated due to the taxes that have been added over the last couple of years. But if you were to buy them in individual packs today that would be the cost.

Per year that's $2920
Too damn much. Probably could have bought a nice house with the $ that has passed through my lungs
Good job, that is a lot of bike parts.
yup! in a year you'll have enough money for a sick new ride, and after that more $$ for a post ride beer and burrito

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice job man! I've never once even tried a cigarette so I don't know what you are going through, it must be tough though.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
yup! in a year you'll have enough money for a sick new ride, and after that more $$ for a post ride beer and burrito
I already have the bike I want. My plan w/ the extra money is to keep paying off debt so I can live the way I want instead of my possessions dictating how I live. Tired of owing people.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I already have the bike I want. My plan w/ the extra money is to keep paying off debt so I can live the way I want instead of my possessions dictating how I live. Tired of owing people.
Set a goal and a reward for some point in the future. When you get a craving, shift thoughts to the reward you've set for yourself. One cig pales in comparison to whatever it is you've promised yourself, and then just take it one day at a time. Congratulations, it was the 2nd hardest thing I ever attempted, and the hardest thing I ever succeeded at (trying to give up coffee was the hardest I've ever tried, and I failed miserably at it). :thumb:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
But when you move up here with me. You will need one of these...

So we can ride to this...

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Tis the 14th day and still truckin. Its amazing the different color mucus your body will produce when cleaning itself out.
Thanks to all for your support.:thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Tis the 14th day and still truckin. Its amazing the different color mucus your body will produce when cleaning itself out.
Thanks to all for your support.:thumb:
My mother is going to die of smoking. She has COPD and is only going to get worse...over the years. Your family will thank you I'm sure.

Now, if I could just have the first 18 years of my life spent in a non-vented home with no air filtration and 7 foot ceilings back. I was un-diagnosed asthmatic until then. When I got to move into a smoke free dorm room, my life began.:thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
My mother is going to die of smoking. She has COPD and is only going to get worse...over the years. Your family will thank you I'm sure.

Now, if I could just have the first 18 years of my life spent in a non-vented home with no air filtration and 7 foot ceilings back. I was un-diagnosed asthmatic until then. When I got to move into a smoke free dorm room, my life began.:thumb:
Thats kinds of scary... talk about child endangerment.

treesquirrel

Chimp
Jul 12, 2010
The swamp or the darkroom
I can finally call myself a non smoker. Since I was 13 years old I been smoking at least a pack a day. So at the very least I've inhaled 153,300 cancer sticks. I'm now on day 9 and feel better mentally knowing I don't have this crutch to lean on (I'll feel better physically once I cough up the rest of this crap). This has been by far the hardest thing for me to do and had to tell world my sad story. Thank you that's my time.
Congrats to you! :) It's not an easy feat. Stay strong. I watched it take my father down, he was unable to quit. The worst of it was watching him hooked up to oxygen just to get enough air to have another cig, he was gray like ash. It was horrible watching him go down.

I know what you mean Bizutch. I have asthma, sinus problems and weak lungs because both my parents chain smoked. It sucks.

Last edited: